Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Catherine the Great 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Catherine the Great
Marija Vera: 1, Baron: 0.

:wave:

Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:06 pm
Royalty
Royalty

:blob7:

Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Now now girls stop ganging up! :lol:

I see what you mean....however goatherd to countess is a huge step, even for one favoured by a baron. I doubt if her dreams would ever get further than the goat shed... :wink:

Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:36 pm
Royalty
Royalty

The Du Barry managed it......

Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:47 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hardly from a goat shed Madame! From a boudoir maybe.... :wink: Mme du Barry would not thank you for it!

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Step by step... :lol: Where du Barry was first noticed by the king? Dont get too logical now that you've lost baron. If you are at the right place in the right time, everything is possible!

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:56 pm
Royalty
Royalty

:angel12:

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:47 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I suppose you could bring one or two of your goats along with you to the Galerie de Glaces to get noticed by the King! :)

From memory Madame du Barry was "recommended" to the King by his libertine friends at court, who had "been there before him", to coin a phrase.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:02 am
Royalty
Royalty

baron de batz wrote:
I suppose you could bring one or two of your goats along with you to the Galerie de Glaces to get noticed by the King! :)

Baron! It would be her charme that would interest the King! :roll:

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
From memory Madame du Barry was "recommended" to the King by his libertine friends at court, who had "been there before him", to coin a phrase.

According to the biography I read now, he first saw her at Versailles, where she went to finish some business of Monsieur du Barry (her lover and brother of her future husband) and for a while he was unaware of her real origin. :?:

Délicate fleur wrote:
baron de batz wrote:

Baron! It would be her charme that would interest the King! :roll:

Makes me wonder what's the first thing baron notices about a woman... :roll: :lol:

To correct my first post - I was wrong about the colour of the porcelain dinner service given to Catherine the Great, it was blue, not green.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:54 pm
You know how Catherine the Great hits on you? What if you played as a woman? Wouldn't that be cool. You could certainly describe her as a dominant personality. The major accomplishment of her reign would have to be that she tried to seize the Dardonelles and the Bosphorus straits. She was trying to bring Russia back into the worldly competition, unfortunately she failed.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:14 am
Catherine the Great of Russia's death while attempting an unusual practice with a horse is one of the most virulent myths in modern history, transmitted by whispers in school playgrounds across the western world. It's unfortunate that one of history's most powerful and interesting women is known to most people as a beastite.

Fri May 21, 2010 11:29 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

lisacherry225 wrote:
Catherine the Great of Russia's death while attempting an unusual practice with a horse is one of the most virulent myths in modern history, transmitted by whispers in school playgrounds across the western world. It's unfortunate that one of history's most powerful and interesting women is known to most people as a beastite.

Yes that's a very well-known myth spread about her in Russia. :lol: I have trouble believing it though.

There is an infatuation with her currently in this country, which I fail to understand. Her reign was a total failure. She hardly ever won any major battle. Adn don't get me started on her pseudo philosophical involvement.

She was quite intelligent, a good writer, spoke several languages -though she kept an awful German accent in Russian all her life. And obviously, she remained in power in spite of the fact that she had no legitimacy to be there in the first place.

I think her popularity is mostly based on her being a woman, as well as on her private life.

She was deeply concious of her mediocrity : upon traveling along with her (through Crimea ?) Prince de Ligne wrote that she kept comparing herself with Peter the Great - knowing that the comparison was not in her favour.

The only thing one should be grateful about is Crimea. But Peter had already had the job done for the most part.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am a great admirer of Peter the Great though.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes I love his simplicty and energy.

When you see his modest wooden cabin style demeure in St Petersburg or even his summer palace, simply furnished, its tells you a lot about the man.

And he was open to other countries, and managed to bring back considerable technical knowledge from his time in Europe. Which was quite something for a Russian!

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next