Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Question 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Sun May 20, 2007 8:17 pm
Profile YIM
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

thats amost as tall as I am , its not that tall.

In the movie she wasent that tall she was like in the middle and in the pictures she looked normal sized.But yes her feet were small.

Sat May 26, 2007 2:26 pm
Profile YIM
Noble
Noble

ANOTHER QUESTION: Ive always wanted to live one day (or more :D) in the life of MA... If u can choose one day in MA's life, wut would it be?

I would choose the day of the handover... just to think of how she felt... how scared she mustve been but her guts to still go thru with everything! she is truly an idol :D hehe

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:57 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I would choose this night they were arrested in Varennes, and help them to fly away.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:23 am
Royalty
Royalty

I agree totally Pim! I would do the same except the day of her execution march in with the whole Austrian army and plonk her in a guarded cairrage with her children and have her sent safely to her family in Vienna. Or maybe that on the day of Louis' execution!

Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I would choose the day of her arrival in France, May 1770, to admire this Dauphine and to acclaim her with the others, but also to force her to return to Austria, to live there quietly :wink:

Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
I have also many questions for my school work, if you hate or love Marie Antoinette (no matter) please fill up my questionnaire and resend it to me :wink: you can here express your opinions and feelings :wink: the questionnaire is on my sites: http://www.kackuc.estranky.cz/clanky/history/questionnaire-of-marie-antoinette

Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:16 pm
Post Re: Question
Hi, I am very curious about sources for contemporaries who've mentioned the height of Marie Antoinette.I know that Vigee le Brun said she was tall, but I've seen other posters mention other contemporaries who've commented as well. Could someone point me in the right direction? Also, someone in this thread mentioned that she was measured during the bourbon restoration. Where would I find that information? What would be your best bet for that?

Happy for any information you can give me.

Louisette.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:59 am
Noble
Noble

But the Versailles and Trianon beds are too small for 1.70!

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Just an optical illusion and remember people at that time slept slightly propped up in bed.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:55 am
What document specifically says that she was 1.7 m? Can anyone tell me where I would find this?

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:01 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
Just an optical illusion and remember people at that time slept slightly propped up in bed.

Maybe. We've discussed this at length in the past, and many period images show people stretched out fully, as they would be today.

Madame Campan also said she was tall and that Olivia, the woman chosen to imitate her in the dark in the Affair of the Necklace, was as well:

http://books.google.com/books?id=de0sAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA387&dq=intitle:Marie-ANtoinette+tall&lr=&num=100&as_brr=1&cd=14#v=onepage&q=intitle%3AMarie-ANtoinette%20tall&f=false

Her dressmaker Rose Bertin says that at 17 she was rather tall for her age:
http://books.google.com/books?id=wm4OAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:rose+inauthor:bertin&lr=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=&as_brr=0&cd=1#v=onepage&q=taille&f=false

Anyone with a hardcore interest who happens to be coming through Los Angeles might like to know that the LA County Museum's costume department has a wonderful library which possesses a catalogue by Rose Bertin of the dresses she made for the queen. These might give a more precise idea. (You have to schedule any visit however - it's not generally open to the public.)

Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:34 pm
Jim,

Thanks so much for the links. that's great. I've read Campan but didn't recall if it had said anything about her height.

Do you know if any of Rose Bertin's papers reveal her measurements ( not her bust and waist but measurements that would give an idea for how tall she was in feet and inches/ Metres?)

Just curious. Thanks so much for the links though, they're awesome.

Also -- that's crazy about Rose Bertin's catalogues being in LA. It's a crazy world. I never would have guessed that's where they would be.

All the best,

Louisette

Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:29 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't believe LACMA has the originals, just an edition which was published somewhere along the way.

It occurs to me that the arrest records - which typically included "signalement" (description) - probably have a very precise figure somewhere, but I haven't been able to locate it. Despite the willful attempt to treat "the Widow Capet" as just one more citizen, they might have considered it superfluous to record her description.

A period measurement would have been in feet (pieds). Any nineteenth century measurements would have been in meters (bearing in mind, that if they measured the bones, they would have had to relocate the skull.)

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:28 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Here's another hint of how tall she was, from the Goncourt's biography:

Quote:
Elle est partie, laissant aux murs de sa prison son coeur dans cette inscription, la taille de ses deux enfants : ,

27 mars 4793, quatre pieds diz pouces trois lignes,trois pieds deux pouces (2).

Comme la Reine sortait de là tour sans se baisser, elle se frappa la tête au guichet. On lui demanda si elle s'étaitv fait du mal. « Oh ! non T— dit-elle —- rien à présent ne peut plus fne faire du mal... (3). »

Quote:
She left, leaving on the walls of her prison her heart in this inscription, the height of her two children: March 27, 1793, four feet, ten inches, three lines, three feet two inches.

As the Queen left the tower without lowering her head, she hit her head on the entry window. She was asked if she had hurt herself. "Oh! no - she said - right now nothing can hurt me anymore...."

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next