Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Burial and recovery of the queen's body 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Burial and recovery of the queen's body
This account of identifying and recovering MA's remains will probably interest many here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=XkpBAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA264&dq=%22marie-antoinette%22+madeleine&lr=&as_brr=1&cd=2#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:56 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Burial and recovery of the queen's body
Very interesting Jim if only we could read it. I get a publisher's notice restricting the use of the title. Maybe this only applies in Australia? :help:

Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:55 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you, Jim. The link worked for me. It made a fascinating read; I've always wondered how certain they could be that they actually had the right bones. Apparently they relied entirely on eyewitnesses to find and exhume the bodies. It's fortunate the King and Queen were not thrown in with a bunch of other bodies in a mass grave, but buried separately.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:21 am
Royalty
Royalty

How did you access the text? I couldn't find anything substantial on that page and then I clicked a link that says, "Where's the rest of this book?" It then explains why I can't access it. :|

Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:06 pm
Royalty
Royalty

http://www.archive.org/stream/lastdaysm ... g_djvu.txt

Here you can also read the text.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have a leather bound original of this book by Lenôtre in French, from 1924 (33rd edition) and its' next up on my list to read. So these posts gets my mouth watering! :)

Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:09 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Merci chere Anouk!

Baron, how lovely!

Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Google Print unfortunately can be quirky that way. Sometimes simply using the same link in a different browser will help.

But it is indeed true that many GP documents can also be found on archive.org, and often in a variety of formats. What's more, they seem to have used a different OCR tool, so sometimes something you don't find on a text search on GP comes right up on archive.org.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:07 pm
Royalty
Royalty

There seems to be conflicting information out there as to the Queen's burial. I have read different sources - some say it took three days to bury her body, some say ten. Some she was buried (and Louis XVI) in a coffin and some say a mass grave. Hmmm....Whose account is accurate?
Also, if you think about dead bodies laying around unburied, - the smell of decomposition would be horrid, not to mention that small animals will feed on flesh.......................

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:24 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

No-one seems to really know exactly but Lenôtre seems to say that her body may have lain in some corner of the cemetery as long as 14 days! She was buried in an open wooden coffin, her head between her legs. Alternate layers of quick lime and earth were put over the body and padded down. In fact the coffin when found was covered with a layer of hardened lime forming almost a protective lid over it. The head was intact, most of the bones as well though some reduced almost to powder by the lime, there was some hair and debris of clothes such as a stocking and some garters.Obviously as it was an open coffin, it was all mixed up with lime and earth. Louis XVI's body was more corroded by the effect of the lime, but the place it was found at corrresponded to eye witness accounts, nearer to the wall of the cemetery that bordered the Rue d'Anjou and where the crypt of the Chapelle Expiatoire now stands. Any visitors to Paris can still find N°48 rue d'Anjou where Dezcloseaux's house was, and in whose salon the remains of the sovereigns laid in state awaiting transfer to St Denis.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]