Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Comtesse de Noailles 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Comtesse de Noailles
Here's a picture from the Louvre:

The Noailles family by the way is all over French history. It was a Noailles who first arrested the would-be assassin Damiens. Lafayette's wife was Marie Adrienne Françoise de Noailles. Over a century later the Countess (by marriage) of Noailles was a poet and a good friend of Proust's. Etc.

I actually knew a member of the family years ago in Paris - when I knew nothing of Old Regime history. :(

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:34 am
Royalty
Royalty

I have not seen this picture of her - Thanks Jim! They are an interesting bunch - LaFayette being married into this family - I think it was the neice or great-neice of Madame Etiquette who was his wife. Also, Madame Etiquette's husband was the son of Madame de Maintenon's neice. These family ties can really get a person confused sometimes!!!! Help me here if I am wrong.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Madame Etiquette disapproved of the Austrian alliance. It was perhaps this prejudice that was at the root of her initial coldness towards M.A.; even so, she accepted the position in M.A.'s household out of a strong sense of duty to the crown, and for her family's honor in continuing to serve at Versailles. Wisely, she never once expressed her dislike of Austria in M.A.'s presence, and no doubt M.A.'s disdain for French etiquette, as well as the young Dauphine's prejudice against older people, only added to the alienation of the two women. It's a credit to the Comtesse that she never took up against the Queen or spoke ill of her publicly even after leaving her service, feeling that this would be a betrayal of her years of service to the crown. I believe she retired from court (under pressure from the Queen) sometime after Louis XVI took the throne. She was guillotined in 1794 during the "Grand Terror."

On a side note, my paternal great-grandmother was a Noailles; it was this family connection which first led me to Marie Antoinette.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:18 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Lilly wrote:
They are an interesting bunch - LaFayette being married into this family - I think it was the neice or great-neice of Madame Etiquette who was his wife.

Hi, Lilly! Yes, you are correct. Adrienne de La Fayette's older sister, Louise, actually married "Madame Etiquette's" son, Louis-Marie, the Vicomte de Noailles. "Madame Etiquette's" husband, Philippe de Noailles, was an uncle of Adrienne's and Louise's father, and so he was their great-uncle and she was their great-aunt.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2