Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Marie Antoinettes Wedding Dress 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Marie Antoinettes Wedding Dress
I found this engraving in colour of Antoinette's wedding gown. I have to say I was really disappointed in the multi coloured confection. This could of course have been artistic license. Have a look and does anyone have any more information.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1KEFIekzqPo/S ... rriage.jpg

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:56 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Marie Antoinettes Wedding Dress
Please pardon me for saying this, but that dress is horrible!
Cronin says - Louis wore a suit of cloth of gold spangled with diamonds and Marie Antoinette wore white brocade (and diamonds too).

Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

That engraving is not of the Chapelle Royale at Versailles. The altar is quite different and unchanged to this day. It must have been from a contemporaries' imagination.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:31 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I finally found Cronin's book amongst my books and yes, Louis and Antoinette both wore white. According to a contemporary report the bodice was too tight in the part between the diamonds which would have been the triangle between the edges of the front of a sort of jacket shape. I am so glad Antoinette did not wear that horrible dress that was depicted on the link I posted. In fact the costume period looked much older than 1770. I bought Cronin's book in 1993 when my husband was working as an engineer in Paris at an English bookstore very near the Place de La Concorde. I thought all my heavens had come at once when I spotted it. The almost falling apart book is now at my bedside for my nightly read. The problem with all the different books that have been written about the Royal Couple is that there are conflicting contemporary reports.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes the more one reads the more one realizes how much one has to sort out the true from the false, and the best source is archive material or verified mémoires. The last stupid thing I saw written was in a bio I am reading on Madame du Barry. The writer talks about Louis XV and Madame du Barry having breakfast together in the Temple of Love at Trianon, only this temple was built in 1777, after his death.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:06 am
Royalty
Royalty

Oh Baron how true! I just read that on Oct. 5 1789, the Queen was found at the Grotto and summoned back to the Chateau - " the Queen sat on a seat of moss, listening to the sound of rain and the stream trickling at her feet, and thinking sadly of the past. She thought of the happy summer days spent in the garden with her children playing around her on the lawns, she thought of her flowers, her animals, of the friends she had gathered round her........" there's more, But I think you get the idea. This book also contains unsourced dialogue which really makes me go Hmmmm.....!
How can this person claim to know what Marie Antoinette was thinking??? Hmmm....again.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:27 pm
Noble
Noble

Baron de Batz is correct, the scene in the engraving would have been purely imagined by the artist, and he appeared to have been an artist not very aware of fashion because these fashions were very dated for the time of Louis Auguste's and Marie Antoinette's wedding.

I saw one more convincing engraving of their wedding in another book. Her bodice was similar to the bodice of the gown Marie Antoinette wore in the portrait by Martin van Meytens in 1767. The skirt had very wide panniers and looked similar to the skirt of the wedding gown worn by Edwige Elisabeth Charlotte of Holstein Gottorp when she married Prince Karl of Sweden in 1774. The gown was featured in the Fastes de Cour et Ceromonies Royales exhibition held at Versailles in 2009.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:32 am
Noble
Noble

It has taken me a while, but I have found the engraving I mentioned in the previous post. I found it in "A Lady of Fashion: Barbara Johnson's Album of Styles and Fabrics". I think everyone will agree that this is probably closer to the gown Marie Antoinette wore than the multicoloured confection.

Attachments:
Marie Antoinette wedding.jpeg
Marie Antoinette wedding.jpeg [ 498.04 KiB | Viewed 2917 times ]
Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]