Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hello from Scotland 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Hello from Scotland
I can't read enough about Marie Antoinette and the interest has been going on for over 50 years. I have spent a fortunate in the past ordering old out of date books but happily have downloaded more than 20 in recent months including Lenotre's vivid details. It is only recently I have been able to obtain a book about Marie therese Charlotte the Queen's daughter and have downloaded even more. I love this site by the way and keep popping in all the time to see what is new.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:12 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Hello from Scotland
Hello Maggie and welcome to the forum! There is a book out there - called "The Ruin of a Princess" translated by Katherine Wormeley - you can also read it online, it contains a very good narrative of Madame Royale. I look forward to your contributions here!

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:33 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Welcome to the forum Maggie, it's a pleasure to have you join us and I hope you will share some of the conclusions and impressions you have drawn from all your reading with us!

Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:08 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Thank you for your warm welcome. I did download Ruin of a Princess a few years ago and printed it at work. Thank you for reminding me because I had forgotten about it and I cannot find it after moving house, so will download it again. Clery's memoires of his time at the Temple was also there but I had already bought a second hand book for £6 from the internet published by the Folio Society in the 1950's. I lived in Paris for a year way back in 1993 and followed the steps of Marie Antoinette from Versailles to the Conciergerie many times, but I did not possess the same knowledge as I do now, so missed many things. Carnavelet Museum was superb and had many artifacts of the Royal Family in there. I wish I could live there for another year and gain much more information and armed with what I already have at hand, get even more information. I really must get my better half to get another job in Paris and I would be in my glory. What a lovely site you have here and I am really grateful to have found it.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:21 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Welcome here from someone who tookthat step of moving to paris! :) Try reading Susan Nagel's book on Marie Thérèse Charlotte if she interestsyou.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:26 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

baron de batz wrote:
Welcome here from someone who tookthat step of moving to paris! :) Try reading Susan Nagel's book on Marie Thérèse Charlotte if she interestsyou.

Thank you Baron I bought Susan Nagel's book a few months ago. I was quite disturbed at what she had to say about Louis XVI's mistresses. He adored Antoinette and to be frank he wasn't a terribly sexual person even with his adored wife. This kind of gossip does not appear in contemporary writings during the 18th Century or any other book I have read. I do not believe for a minute Louis cheated on his wife. But back to the book by Susan Nagel, apart from the shock of Louis and his little cheatings, it was an extremely good read. Madame Royal was Queen for a few minutes before her husband Angouleme signed his kingship rights away. According to Antonia Fraser who stated that it was probable that the marriage between Angouleme and Marie Therese was never consummated, however according to Nagel, Marie Therese Charlotte believed on more than one occasion she was pregnant. Unless she was extremely innocent of the facts of life the marriage must have been consummated.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]