Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Marie-Antoinette BA Degree Project - Help Needed. 
Post Marie-Antoinette BA Degree Project - Help Needed.
Hello everyone,

I am a third year History student looking to write a 4,000 word project on Marie-Antoinette, due April 30th. The question I am working around at present is 'Assess the significance of Marie-Antoinette's role in the French Revolution'. Thus far, I'm looking to present an argument that she was a victim of circumstance, and an easy scapegoat in a time of supreme unrest due to being a foreigner and being a woman.

The reason I am posting this is that I am looking for source recommendations. I am aware that there are an infinite number of book recommendations littered around this forum but it is specific sources I am after, and I wondered if anyone would be able to help me/make recommendations.

I'm looking for:

PRIMARY SOURCES DETAILING THE LEVELS OF HER EXPENDITURE in order to gauge whether or not the French people were right in resenting her and branding her 'Madame Defecit'.

PRIMARY SOURCES DETAILING CONTEMPORARY OPINION of Marie-Antoinette: I am already using the libelles, but if anyone can recommend anything that was said about her by her contemporaries that I can incorporate into my project I'd be hugely grateful.

IMAGES detailing the transformation of Marie-Antoinette as the Revolution progressed...political cartoons in particular would be welcomed. Again, I'm aware there's a gallery on this forum but I couldn't quite figure out how to access it....

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am structuring my project to examine her as a victim of circumstance, and then to examine the argument that the people of France were justified in blaming her because of her extravagance....it is my ultimate view however that she was indeed a victim.

Any books that can be recommended about the subject would also be amazing.

Thank you very much! :)

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:23 pm
Noble
Noble

Post Re: Marie-Antoinette BA Degree Project - Help Needed.
Hi

I did an essay on Marie Antoinette recently it was about how fair was the accusation that she was madam deficit, and i must recomend Queen of Fashion by Caroline Webster it has so much information on her expenditure, and the best thing is that it has information on the expenditure on the rest of the royal family which helps a lot since i found that others were spent even more for an even longer time. Also The Wicked Queen: The Origins of the myth of marie antoinette by Chantal Thomas at its end it has many sourses such as pamphlets and some really rude poems written by contemporary enemies of Marie Antoinette. It also has a chapter entiteled Queen of Fashion where the authur explains how each of marie antoinette's fashion accesories (for example feathers) was used against her in pamphlets. Also i found The Duchess of Devonshire by Amanda Foreman really resourseful she quotes many primary sourses and she is especally good where gambling comes in, you could compare other aristocracy to her who did much, worse and never stoped overdoing. Plus i know there is a book in my library about George IV called The Prince of Plesure, and i know that he spent a lot way more than Marie Antoinette.

Hope this helps in some way :)

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:43 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Hi megatron,

In relation to the cartoons I have a large collection of them, they will be uploaded to the site at some stage, but they have not been updated yet. Please email me (editor@marie-antoinette.org) and I will make arrangements with you to get the cartoons to you. As I said, there are quite a few of them and it may be more useful for me to upload them to space for you or zip and email the lot.

Looking forward to hearing from you and best of luck with your paper.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:31 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Thank you both so very much for your help.

I've ordered the books you recommended from Amazon, Mlle...can't wait to get stuck into them!

Adrienne, I emailed you as required. Thanks very much :)

Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]