Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 How did Marie-Antoinette address her husband? 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post How did Marie-Antoinette address her husband?
I apologize if this question has been asked before... I have my biography on hand of the Queen, but I can't seem to find the correct passage.

All I recall is it was something during the Diamond Affair and Lamotte, and the fact that Lamotte had used the signature 'Marie-Antoinette de France,' the King becoming outraged that the Cardinal Rohan of all people believed this to be an actual letter from the Queen, knowing she signed most documents as Antoinette, or Antoine to her family. It may be a different story entirely...

I just remember the mentioning of the King and the Queen and how they addressed each other. Of course in public it was all very formal: Majesté, and such. Yet privately, did the two refer to each other as Louis and Antoinette? I recall reading that they did not, but I cannot be sure -- that even privately he spoke to her as Madame, and she called him Monsieur.

Does anyone know the answer to this? It's been bugging me...

Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:47 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: How did Marie-Antoinette address her husband?
I thought from reading Fraser's bio that they addressed each other as Madame and Monsieur?

Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:01 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, the queens signed only their baptismal names, Marie Antoinette had used Antoine as a child, she used Antoinette alone very occasionally in family letters (when signed), and in all formal correspondence just Marie Antoinette. It was such a big error that it is incredible that the Cardinal didn't spot it! :o

Délicate fleur wrote:
I thought from reading Fraser's bio that they addressed each other as Madame and Monsieur?

Yes, I think that was the case.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:59 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Marija Vera wrote:
Yes, the queens signed only their baptismal names, Marie Antoinette had used Antoine as a child, she used Antoinette alone very occasionally in family letters (when signed), and in all formal correspondence just Marie Antoinette. It was such a big error that it is incredible that the Cardinal didn't spot it! :o

I think he was so blinded by happiness at Antoinette making peace offers to him. The prestige of helping the Queen of France receive the necklace must've removed his logic! :roll:

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
Marija Vera wrote:

I think he was so blinded by happiness at Antoinette making peace offers to him. The prestige of helping the Queen of France receive the necklace must've removed his logic! :roll:

I agree! He was peobably out of himself and wanted to believe the Queen has chosen him for that task...

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
The prestige of helping the Queen of France receive the necklace must've removed his logic! :roll:

If he ever had any. :wink:

I must say I find him quite amusing.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:35 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

He and Lamotte must have made quite a pair! :lol:

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:24 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

This is along the same line as family knicknames and pet names. Louis Charles, the last Dauphin, called his mother 'mamareine' (mommy queen) and his father 'paparoi' (daddy king).

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:36 pm
I think Délicate fleur is correct. Because i had many books on queen of France. So i would like to go with Delicate fleur.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:42 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

:angel3: Madame sounds correct, however I keep thinking Marie Antoinette addressed the King as Sire, not Monsieur. I'm currently reading history in another country so will have to look this up when I've had my temporary fill of Imperial Russia.

Good question.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]