Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Did Madame Du Barry have a lisp? 
Post Re: Did Madame Du Barry have a lisp?
I read this in Haslip's bio, but apparently it seems that it has been mentioned often, so it might be a possibility... why not?

I have to say that I LOVE :love: her a lot, much to being infatuated by her character! I believe her seductive appearance did cause jealousy within the court. To those who dislike her for spreading harsh rumors against Marie Antoinette (who I also like btw), I say B.S.! It was a characteristic for ALL courtiers to spread rumors about each-other, so it was not something Du Barry should be infamous for!

About her eyes being violet, I never heard such a fact... I believe the biographies which say they were blue :)

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:11 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I have just finished Haslip's biography on Madame du Barry ("Madame du Barry--The Wages Of Beauty") and there is no mention of the Countess having a lisp.

I found the book sympathetic to du Barry and grew to like her somewhat. The description of her going to the guillotine is particularly tragic and upsetting.

Speaking about speech impediments, I find it fascinating that Prince Albert of Monaco stutters horribly when he speaks English, but does not stutter at all when speaking French.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:34 pm
I can't remember which chapter, but I am sure she does describe her as having a 'childish lisp'

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:59 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

It was Louis XV who sent du Barry to 'prison' . "To save his immortal soul the cardinal had forced the dying King to dictate a 'lettre de cachet' which sent the Countess du Barry as a prisoner of state to the Abbey of Pont des Dames." (Haslip " Madame du Barry--the Wages of Beauty" pg. 103).

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:30 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Thank you for the quote, Artois!

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3