Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 'Blooper' in the Coppela movie? 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post 'Blooper' in the Coppela movie?
I don't think this is of any great importance but i'm interested to find out if anyone has spotted this aswell.

In the sceen where MA is having a bit of retail therapy, when she is trying on shoes and there is a close up of her feet with new pretty shoes, in the background, on the floor beside her, there is a pair of light blue sneekers.

Has anyone spotted this or anything else that links the Coppela movie to the modern world, or is that the only instance?

Wed May 19, 2010 6:34 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: 'Blooper' in the Coppela movie?
Apparently this was intentional. A kind of link to modern teenage culture, to make the point that MA was in a sense a rebellious teenager of the time.

Wed May 19, 2010 8:44 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Yes, I read that it was intetional. Sofia wanted to have something that really showed how young MA was at that point.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:25 pm
i thought i was the only one who saw those shoes!! lol :angel8: :P

Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:44 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

There are quite a few actually! I studied media so I look out for these things:

Kirsten Dunst's contact lenses can be seen multiple times during close-ups.

In two "sunrise" scenes, the sun is seen "rising" at the bottom of the palace gardens, which in fact lie to the west (WNW) of the palace.

In the scene when Marie is playing outside in a meadow with her daughter, there is a low angle shot which clearly shows a smoke trail amongst the clouds in the sky from an airplane.

Throughout the movie, numerous characters are seen sipping champagne from wide champagne saucers. In the 18th century, champagne would be served in tall, conical flute glasses, as the coupe-shaped champagne glass appeared around 1850 and did not become dominant until the 1870's.

Here are all of them!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0422720/goofs

Marie Antoinette Inspired Jewlery ->

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 074?ref=ts

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

That's interesting!
I didn't notice any of them...I guess I'm not a careful watcher. But I suppose not all of them are intentional, are they? Some of the cases you mentioned sound like accidental mistakes

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:34 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

It's really difficult to spot every single thing wrong... and sometimes you do know something is wrong but just live with it. For example the shoes are all left-foot and right-foot, whereas in that time all the shoes were the same foot (if that makes sense, I fear I sound like I am talking gobblydegook).

I am assuming the costumes obviously were made to fit the actors/actresses, and it was easier to use these shoes rather than make a whole load more of useless ones just for s few shots.

I would say, for gods sake, with a budget like that they should have proper costumes and people who can spot aeroplane smoke etc...
But then again I am sure it cost them a pretty penny to film in the actual Palace of Versaille.

Marie Antoinette Inspired Jewlery ->

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 074?ref=ts

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

I'm not such a big fan of the teen-audience version of the life of MA by Ms. Coppola...I know it's "Show BUSINESS" and not just "Show Art"...I much preferred "La Nuit de Varennes"...Beautiful costumes,good acting...Like a strange,sad dream...Would love to see more historically accurate films on MA and the Court of Versailles...The idea of "scratching" on a door to enter a room at the chateau...cat like...would be jolly in a film...

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:35 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes court etiquette was in many ways an extraordinary and complex invention to manipulate and conserve power. By codifying behaviour and creating priviliges, it was the ultimate lesson in ruling by division.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:54 am
Noble
Noble

Louis XIV created the Court at Versailles to control the potentially rebellious nobles after the Fronde rebellion...They could all fight for the privilege to live at Court...Wasting their time,money and lives on display...But creating a most unique world...

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:46 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I did see the sneakers but did somebody else see those ugly fur-shoes?
Looked like a self-creation. :|

Well, the movie sucked anyways :roll:

Mon May 30, 2011 3:50 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Orleans87 wrote:
I did see the sneakers but did somebody else see those ugly fur-shoes?
Looked like a self-creation. :|

Well, the movie sucked anyways :roll:

I loved the fur shoes. I would wear them on a cold winter day!

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:21 am
Peasant
Peasant

sometimes i feel like the only person who likes the moive!!! lol
I know all the historical inacuracies in it but i still like it. Probably because of the whole teenage aspect (i'm 31 if u were wondering) my teen years were fun and carefree so i guess i feel like i relate. :oops:

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:53 pm
Peasant
Peasant

i absolutely loved the movie. It was so beautiful. Of course it was a tale of fantasy and extremism of spending and waste , but what a better way to show that than the way Sophia did. I loved it. But, I am also a designer , so the more sparkles, pink, shoes, champagne and buffoonery.... Laissez les bon temps Rouller!! :D

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:25 am
Peasant
Peasant

I do myself find this movie quite beautiful to look at; but the historical inaccuracies really get under my skin. Such as her altering time lines for when events happened. The Comtesse de Provence did not come to court until 1771 a year after the arrival of our dear Marie-Antoinette. So therefore the scene of Marie-Antoinette's first toilette in front of the court with the Comtesse de Provence putting the chemise on her at the very end is incorrect because she was not there yet! Also, the Comtesse de Provence never had children. She did have several miscarriages but she did not produce the Duc d'Angouleme. That title was held by the first son of Louis XVI's brother the Comte de Artois. Who's wife was the one who bore the child; not the Comtesse de Provence. I understand the movie was more or less to show young Marie-Antoinette as a teenager but you would think such important people in her life would be portrayed accurately. Not just that but Sophia Coppola really made her look vapid, shallow and ridiculous. Yes, she was a frivolous woman but she was a mere young girl in her teens who was so depressed and trying to follow the example of the other courtiers and make up for the indifference and lack of children from her husband. She was trying to compensate for something that she did not have, which was to produce an heir to the throne. Which the Dauphin denied her for 7 years. If you do thorough research you find out that a lot of the courtiers in the french court spent large sums of money on themselves. Far more than Marie-Antoinette. The reason she was targeted by the French was because she was a foreigner, not just that but an Austrian. Also she was the Dauphine, later to become Queen and was in the spot light at all times. I would really love to see a movie the is historically accurate from beginning to end on the life of Marie-Antoinette. Her life is truly fascinating and what her and her family went through in the end was gut wrenching and gruesome. I feel like her story should truly be told from the beginning and show who she was, including her good points and flaws (which we all have) and what made her who she was. Her name needs to be cleared and the truth about the rest of the Monarchy should be exposed because they bankrupted the country well before Marie-Antoinette came along. She didn't make a dent compared to how much each individual courtier spent. She did contribute to it of course but no where near what the others spent. King Louis XV being a prime example.

My apologies for any grammatical errors in this post.

Kat

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]