Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Clara Bruni the Modern day Marie Antoinette? 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Clara Bruni the Modern day Marie Antoinette?
How very interesting Ludy, thank you for the insider's perspective. I am wondering then, that the Pompadour comparisons are similar to a point. As the media (the beginning of printing and open criticism, the birth of the media as we know it) played her the traditional role of royal mistress, scapegoat for wasted public money, and because she played an active political/philosophical patronage. It seems Bruni is popular because she does not involve herself in matters of state?

The photoshopped Mme La Bruni. :lol:

Last edited by Délicate fleur on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:41 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Your are more than welcome)

Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:33 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

This guy should have done a bit of homework before writing this article. Like so many others who used to be called jounalists, he is nothin more than a shark who, as soon as he smells blood, attacks. And, if you're pretty as well as famous, you'll really have problems.

If the author really wants to make comparisons, he should stay in the same century. a case could be made for a comparison bwtween Mme. Bruni and Jacqueline Kennedy. Mrs Kennedy followed a long list of dowdy frumpish First Ladies (Mamie Eisenhower, Bess Truman and [God forbid], Eleanor Roosevet) not known for their beauty, panache, French couture and charm. (no disrespect intended for Mmes. Mitterand and Chirac). Mrs. Kennedy was under attack when her husband was campaigning ("we'll have a First Lady who wears Capri pants in the White House!) In time, Mrs. Kennedy set a new standard for First Ladies. She had to fight hard to overcome the nastiness, rumors and criticism that enveloped her daily.

I wonder why the press always seems to accentuate the negative and eliminate the positive.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:58 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Yesterday an article appeared in the news - "Iran calls Carla Bruni a Prostitute" . Apparently Carla has spoken in defense of an Iranian woman
who is possibly going to be stoned to death for adultry. She has really pissed them off, they went on to bring up her past in an attempt to slander her talked about her past lovers and career. A modern day attempt at the same nonsense that MA experienced in her time!

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:05 am
Royalty
Royalty

Whilst there is an element of truth to her past experiences, I agree that it's the same nasty attack on her body and femininity like Marie Antoinette.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Frankly the Iranian authorities make me feel quite sick. Anyone that still believes that stoning women is an appropriate form of capital punishment cannot be acceptable.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:45 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Yes Baron, it turns my stomach as well - Such barbaric behavior of men toward women! It frightens me.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:09 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I'm not sure if the average Iranian loves Sharia law.....at least, I have seen two contemporary films made by their filmmakers and didn't think, "Geeze, they're nasty, ancient dinosaurs!" They make beautiful music, too.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:43 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am not judging Mrs Bruni in any way, but this attack from Iranian journalists was pretty predictable.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:55 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
Frankly the Iranian authorities make me feel quite sick. Anyone that still believes that stoning women is an appropriate form of capital punishment cannot be acceptable.

Definitely! Though I don't find any form of capital punishment acceptable, this case provides an example of utter inhumanity.

Back to Marie Antoinette, I also find it interesting, and at the same time annoying, to see how famous women are compared to her. I have the impression the parallel with MA is often used without much thinking, in a superficial way, as though she was the most evidenty icon of feminine flimsiness and unthoughtfulness.

I don't know very much about Carla Bruni, but I agree that, if one should find a suitable comparison, the one with Mme de Pompadour would fit better. I don't see Hillary Clinton as MA, instead; I think she a very intelligent and gifted politician, a woman who built her own caeer, while Marie Antoiniette wans't much a politician...she just found herself queen.
By the way, have you heard about the accusation against Michelle Obama, that she would be "the new Marie Antoinette" because she would have travelled at the expenses of State finances? I am quite ignorant about American politics, so I don't know how the whole thing ended, but I'm very annoyed when I heard that "being like Marie Antoinette" is used as a cliché in order to put a powerful woman in a bad light...(and usually a beautiful and/or charming and/or lively woman)

Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:59 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Oh, words don't come close in describing how it makes me feel in every fibre of my being.....

:banghead: :angryfire: :angry5: :angry7:

The more journalists (pamphleteers) repeat it, it becomes embedded in our subconscious.....the propaganda is still alive. I always like to gently and incisively challenge what is the status quo. It doesn't help that she is latched onto as a figure of glamour as if that is the only side of her! The Coppola film helped revive an interest in her but also did damage, too. Interesting how the body of Marie-Antoinette is still being used. I am reading 'The Wicked Queen: Origins of the Myth of Marie Antoinette' edited by Chantal Thomas at the moment and wish also to read Goodman's 'Writings on the Body of a Queen' but I digress....

Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:43 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The comparison with Mrs Obama is all the more preposterous when you remember that as a Queen MA was forbidden to travel abroad, and furthermore did not travel in France at all, apart from her sheer arrival in France and the Varennes escape attempt.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:20 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Goodness, it is so difficult for journalists to do a bit of research, isn't it? I suppose that would not suit their lazy and bigoted agenda. :lol:

Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:25 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
Goodness, it is so difficult for journalists to do a bit of research, isn't it? I suppose that would not suit their lazy and bigoted agenda. :lol:

Well as you put it, I guess that MA became a sort of concept every time it comes to money :roll:

Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:47 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, you're right.
I think it's not correct to makie comparisons between people who live in very different historical circumstances; I think one can hardly find something comparable to life in Versailles with all the rules that concerned it. Obviously MA's situation was very different from Carla Bruni's or Michelle Obama's. So, it would be better not to stick to commonplaces...But unluckily this happens again and again :disgust:

P.S. Délicate Fleur, I would also like to read Chantal Thomas' "The wicked queen": I'd be interested in knowing how you find it!

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next