Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Louis XVI's Champagne Found? 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Louis XVI's Champagne Found?
Divers find 230-year-old champagne in Baltic shipwreck
(AFP) – 4 days ago

Quote:
HELSINKI — Divers have found bottles of champagne some 230 years old on the bottom of the Baltic which a wine expert described Saturday as tasting "fabulous".

Thought to be premium brand Veuve Clicquot, the 30 bottles discovered perfectly preserved at a depth of 55 metres (180 feet) could have been in a consignment sent by France's King Louis XVI to the Russian Imperial Court.

If confirmed, it would be by far the oldest champagne still drinkable in the world, thanks to the ideal conditions of cold and darkness.

"We have contacted (makers) Moet & Chandon and they are 98 percent certain it is Veuve Clicquot," Christian Ekstroem, the head of the diving team, told AFP.

Click here for the full story!

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:23 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Louis XVI's Champagne Found?
Ooh la la! Interesting to note the change in champagne style...from the slightly acidic to the modern dry. I love historical discoveries like this; it sounds cliché, but it makes the past come alive.

Thanks for sharing, Adri.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:46 am
Simply fabulous! What a discovery :) Hmmm I wonder how many zillions of dollars you'd have to pay for a flute of it?

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:43 pm
Royalty
Royalty

A post script:

Quote:
200-year-old beer salvaged from shipwreck
(AFP) - Today

Divers salvaged the world's oldest drinkable beer from a shipwreck in the Baltic Sea on Thursday, just days after work began to retrieve dozens of bottles of 200-year-old champagne, local officials said.

"We believe these are by far the world's oldest bottles of beer," Rainer Juslin, a spokesman for the local government of Aaland, said in a statement.

The beer bottles were unearthed from a shipwreck believed to be about 200 years old as divers on the same wreck were recovering bottles of what is thought to be the world's oldest drinkable champagne, discovered in July.

The enviable haul, found intact on the seabed at a depth of 50 metres, comes from an unidentified wreck which the Aaland authorities believe sank off the coast in the early 1800s.

"The constant temperature and light levels have provided optimal conditions for storage, and the pressure in the bottles has prevented any seawater from seeping in through the corks," Thursday's statement said.

The champagne bottles alone are estimated to be worth tens of thousands of euros.

Aaland, a semi-autonomous province of Finland, legally owns the contents of the wreck, but has yet to determine what to do with the champagne.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:39 pm
I think I remember hearing that on the news.. Haha that would be something else.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:38 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
A post script:

[quote Aaland, a semi-autonomous province of Finland, legally owns the contents of the wreck, but has yet to determine what to do with the champagne.
[/quote]

I know exactly what I'd do with the champagne! Crack open a bottle! :drunk:

Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:59 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Somebody drank something worth tens of thousands of dollars? You gotta be kidding.

I would sell it and let some other schmuck drink it.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:28 am
Royalty
Royalty

An update on this story! Two bottles are going on sale today (June 3). Here are the details :)

Quote:
It is Acker's great privilege to co-host with the Government of Åland, an autonomous region of Finland, a historic auction featuring two single bottles from the legendary Champagne houses, Veuve Clicquot and Juglar, that have been under water for nearly two centuries. These extraordinary bottles were salvaged from an ancient shipwreck in July of last year in the Åland archipelago. Also in the sale are 15 unique lots direct from Veuve Cliquot's cellars.

World renowned Champagne expert Richard Juhlin, who will be attending the auction, tasted some of the bottles last year and Upon first sip, Richard exclaimed, "Great! Wonderful!" After a brief pause, he continued, "I think what strikes you the most is that it's such an intense aroma. It's so different from anything you've tasted before." He noted that the Juglar was “more intense and powerful, mushroomy” whilst the Veuve-Clicquot has notes of “linden blossoms and lime peels.” He called the auction "one of the great moments in the world of wine."

Submit your bids now, for your chance to own a piece of history and the oldest champagne for sale: The Tsar's Treasure.

http://www.ackeraland.com/

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:06 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Noble
Noble

I am sure that if anyone acquired even a bottle of that champagne,they would never drink it.The champagne would be much too precious!! Or perhaps just a sip :lol:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]