Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 marie Antoinette nowdays 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post marie Antoinette nowdays
I think I would shock you, bur I think that nowdays MA would be considered...Paris Hilton.
Her public image is a thinkless , pretty, bored girl, with "friends" who are interested just in her money.
Of course at the end of her life MA showed great intelligence and fearless, but I'm talking about the easy years.
:angel1:

Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:20 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: marie Antoinette nowdays
I don't know... it is difficult to match a living person endowed with a nowadays attitude to a royalty from the 18th century, but I understand the ground of this though - rich, famous, wasteful. The problem why I cannot compare the two's habit is that I find Paris kinda goosey :D OK, at first Marie Antoinette was a bit indolent, there is no doubt about that. But when her family's situation turned dangerous, she did her very best. But sit it out- maybe Paris gets married, have children and sober down.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:36 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

One cannot compare Paris Hilton with Mariie Antoinette. The latter was clearly from her writings very intelligent and was exposed to matters of state of the greatest importance, such as no French Queen before her had been, because of the extraordinary events of a society undergoing a revolution in every sense of the term, political, social, financial and economic. She clearly had access to all the important ministers by the end of the 1780's...Calonne, Brienne, Turgot, Necker, and was instrumental in their rise or fall. The only period that was really fairly light headed was her years as Dauphine (she was a teenager) and her first few years as Queen. I would like to see Paris Hilton get her head around the intricacies of how to extract France from near bankruptcy at the end of the 1780's, with complex systems of government loans, bond issues and regulating the archaic and ineffective tax system of the time.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:57 am
Royalty
Royalty

baron de batz wrote:
I would like to see Paris Hilton get her head around the intricacies of how to extract France from near bankruptcy at the end of the 1780's, with complex systems of government loans, bond issues and regulating the archaic and ineffective tax system of the time.

that's smashing Baron ! I can nearly see the blonde chick in the middle of chaos :help:

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:55 am
Royalty
Royalty

I would like to see Paris Hilton attempt to spell bankruptcy and actually comprehend the meaning of the word.

I believe there is a distinction between academic intelligence and general intelligence ( if that makes any sense). Marie Antoinette was intelligent enough to grasp the severity of a situation and cared enough to act to prevent the situation becoming worse.

Any woman (in their right mind), who is compared to Paris HIlton, would be offended and insulted. Marie Antoinette would probably be horrified and insulted too if she were compared to a vapid, ditzy, spoiled, drug- addled Paris Hilton.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:16 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

it is a completely different world!

I think that the educated people of the 18th century, the nobility and educated middle classes, would look at the great majority of our 21st century contemporaries as being wholly ignorant and without any class. Imagine their shock and fear if confronted with an Iphone...followed no doubt by their inimitable sense of curiosity which would very soon become their dominant emotion.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:55 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
I would like to see Paris Hilton attempt to spell bankruptcy and actually comprehend the meaning of the word.

I believe there is a distinction between academic intelligence and general intelligence ( if that makes any sense). Marie Antoinette was intelligent enough to grasp the severity of a situation and cared enough to act to prevent the situation becoming worse.

Any woman (in their right mind), who is compared to Paris HIlton, would be offended and insulted. Marie Antoinette would probably be horrified and insulted too if she were compared to a vapid, ditzy, spoiled, drug- addled Paris Hilton.

Sorry, I would be more specific: I menat the way the common people thought about MA when she spent a lot of her time with M.me Bertin or with Leonard.
I think it could be near how common people now think about PI who spends her time in parties and fashion.
Just this way , not concerning the intelligence ! ^_^
I hope i could explain it better :angel1:

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:01 pm
Royalty
Royalty

princesse wrote:
I think it could be near how common people now think about PI who spends her time in parties and fashion.
Just this way , not concerning the intelligence ! ^_^
I hope i could explain it better :angel1:

Right. Common people's thinking hasn't changed a thing. In turn, as I see, intelligence of the upper crust has been decreased for the last decades on average - the exception proves the rule. Just think of silly heirs for instance.... That's why it is too hard to contrast a nowadays person to a royalty from the classical era.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I would agree with Baron de Batz. I don't think MA can be compared to anyone. In France, the concept of aristocracy disappeared after the Revolution.The ideals of Revolution have won, whether one likes it or not.We all believe in equality, more or less, and liberty. MA lived in an entirely different world, with entirely different principles. Nobody can be compared to her because nobody can fully understand anymore what being noble, being an Austrian princess really meant then. MA was born a princess and was deeply concious of her duties, they were part of herself. She was not only a scatterbrained teenager, although there was some of that in her story. It has nothing to do with Paris Hilton, or even nowadays royalties.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Nothing whatsoever. Those are bygone times, and with them certain ways of behaving that we can never retrieve, such as the 'esprit" of the 18th century salons. We have too many other distractions and no-one would run a salon anymore purely for the purpose of stimulating conversation.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:36 am
Royalty
Royalty

The only vaguely similar modern equivalent would be book groups or debating clubs where people meet to discuss literature and ideas. Of course it is not run in the same way of those times, and women are not the head of the salon.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]