Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Coppola´s Marie-Antoinette 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Coppola´s Marie-Antoinette
Duchesse de Film wrote:
.....however hated how they trashed her name and reputation by showing constant scenes of partying and sex (though, unfortunately, some of it was true).

:|

How is this true? MA did party, but she didn't drink or have promiscuous sex!

Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:32 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Exactly! A popular misconception people make based on the pamphlets. MA was a teenager (such as myself) and enjoied going to parties and being a little rebellious, (such as myself :D ). This doesn't mean that she or while I'm at it, girls like me, are out having sex and drinking. That's a mistake people still make about the younger public.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:42 pm
I loved the movie. Now people think it's exremely historicly inaccurate, but the the point I saw trying to come across from the movie to myself is that she was just a Teenager, like the use of the color Hot Pink in the costumes were inaccurate for the day but modern day teenage girls love Pink, the movie movie from my view was great at portraying that Marie had a right to be confused in the world she was in, since really she was a teenager when she was married and a teenager when she became queen, she died when she was 30, that was pretty young.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:28 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She actually died when she was 38 :D

Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:13 pm
Ah really? My mistake, I was on a website and it said 30 so that was stuck in my mind. :D

Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:28 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Marie Antoinette was actually 37 years old when she died. Her 38th birthday was a couple weeks after her death. Nov 2, 1755 - October 16, 1793.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't think you can compare teenager problems of today with those of Marie Antoinette in the 1770's. There was a will for freedom it is true, but MA was groomed for a specific rôle from very young and had nothing of the freedom of young teenagers today. She was observed every day by hundreds of courtiers.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

KinzCove wrote:
Ah really? My mistake, I was on a website and it said 30 so that was stuck in my mind. :D

Haha! I understand :D

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:49 am
Noble
Noble

I love this film it's fantastic!

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
One thing I found interesting is one or two peoples comments about how the movie helps to reiterate a negative view of Marie Antoinette as a party shopaholic type. I remember when first watching it with my friends we all came out of it and we thought rather the opposite, sympathising with the young couple who were so surrounded by the complex world of Versaille that they couldn't comprehend all the levels of the bigger picture. You felt you could understand that it wasn't simple for them to understand a world that they are shielded from or to be able to make the kind of changes the rest of the country expected from them given their social upbringing. The movie gives the impression of two people who don't know better and who are trying to do the right thing by following advice to support the war in America or that a cut down on spending means ordering cheaper trees.

I think anything that tries to capture something of the atmosphere or attempts to bring to life some essence of the past has to be admired despite whatever historical flaws and inaccuracies are present. As long as no one assumes that movies are an authoritative resource then there shouldn't be any major issues. I would actually be quite amazed to come across any movie that can truly pride itself on its accuracies, I for one cannot name one. It is an important film because it was a wonderful way for a new generation of people to connect to Marie Antoinette and be inspired to learn more about her. Elements like the choice of music is also an excellent decision because it reminds the audience that the music of the time was their equivalent of "rock" music with composers breaking away from traditional formats and developing new styles of composition.

I also think it was good to finish the film where it did as an end to the life she had grown so familiar with and her own self awareness that she knew despite not knowing what her ultimate fate would be, that things would be very different if ever she did return to Versaille, it carries enough sad bitterness that the happiness she had finally managed to find for herself was at an end.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Very good Elk! You seem to have viewed the film the way we all hope people would. That she and Louis were just misunderstood, not horrible people like the public believed. What I know I meant about the "shopaholic" reference was that I thought the film was trying to play on the popular Antoinette culture in order to relate to current day a little better. I feel horrible for her for being attached to a word like shopping.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:04 pm
Well, it is true that she spent a fortune on the Petit Trianon and the Hameau, she bought new dresses quite a bit and her hairdresser, Léonard, was in constant attendance. But the Trianon and the Hameau were her escape from Versailles, and I'm not surprised she spent money to renovate them/do with them as she liked. As for shopping for new clothes, it was part of her role, first as the Dauphine and then as Queen that she be at the very forefront of fashion. Whatever she wore, ladies throughout the kingdom would attempt to copy her. It worked the same way with Louis XVI when he bought furniture - though mostly he just completed the ordering of furniture that Louis XV had begun.

I love Coppola's film, and I don't understand people who get antsy over the lack of historical accuracy. It's not meant to be historically accurate - which is why we have rock music, modern clothes in loud, bright colours, etc. Continuing on in this theme, I also don't understand when people say that Dunst got the character of Marie-Antoinette wrong - the character in the film - and indeed, the film itself - are interpretations of her life, not representations. Enjoy it for what it is, and not what you think it should be :)

Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:39 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I feel like Sophia Coppola did not do enough research perhaps I am being persnickety but for instance, the 18th century was the century when women were becoming established consumers and especially in fashion.And I can cite where I read this. And yes I am that much of a nerd. :geek: I also was able to talk to a guy who was consulted on the costumes and she essentially ignored his advice. If I did a movie on any historical figure I would try to learn as much as I could instead of reading just one book and considering that adequate. End rant.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:20 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't agree with your comments about this film Azhrei. The costumes were good and the filming also, that is to say it was visually pleasing, which when one has Versailles to onself as Coppola did, is perhaps not so difficult to achieve. The rest however left a lot to be desired. And you give her too much credit to think that she had some finely defined plan to create some alternative "Marie Antoinette" movie. She had Fraser as a consultant, why bother if you're not looking for accuracy, and despite this she creates something which is neither really subversive nor historically accurate. The casting was appalling, especially Louis XVI. And as far MA is concerned, I must say I'm less tolerant about blatant inaccuracies that show her up in a bad light, like for example drinking excessively which she never did, because she was slandered enough in her life without that continuing in films such as this. For many young people this film is all they know of MA.

I saw Coppola's excrutiatingly boring last film, and I concluded that in my opinion she is simply highly overrated.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:58 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I apologize for my insufficient English.

I ranted a lot about this movie and will do it again. :lol:

First, I have to agree that the costumes were stunning and that they filmed the movie at the original Versailles was very pleasing.
But i notice that some people seem to be blinded by the visual splendor to see what a waste of time this version actually is.

Some might say that it is just an interpretation of Marie and the people who surrounded her, but an interpretation requires content, something surprising and this movie tells us nothing at all, but about parties, gambling, dancing, playing dress up, eating cakes and drinking until you pass out.
Those scenes would have been more interesting if they were shown in fractions throughout the movie but not 30 minutes and in a row.

I don't even want to start to talk about the historical inconsistencies but I just have to say this:
I was in rage when I heard the line "let them eat cake". This phrase is from Jean-Jacques-Rousseau's "Confessions",written when she was still a child.

Where were Comtesse de la motte and Cardinal Rohan,the Intriguers of the Affair of the diamond necklace? I really missed them. That would have brought some flair into the movie.

Why was Madame de Dubarry not blond and acted like a total village-idiot with no manners at all. I don't think that she would have been chosen to be the mistress of Louis the XV, if she acted like that, at least not openly for everybody to taunt her.
Ok, some might say that the King wanted somebody refreshing but I don't think that Dubarry accomplished the mistress-title by burping and acting like a 3 cent harlot.

I liked the supporting actors but I highly missed the charm of, for example dangerous liaisons.
I had the feeling that farm-folk was walking through Versailles. Where is the finesse, the decadence?

I hated the shallow characters. I felt no pity at all for Kirsten Dunst, but I'm not cold hearted. :cry:

Some People say that this is a film about feelings but I couldn't understand that her love life was more emotional important than to bear the death of her two children, and besides that, two miscarriages.
The death of her children was shown in a collage of portraits, done in one minute,totally rushed .
In comparison the lost love scene, where she jogged through Versailles, lays in her bed, sighs for about 10 minutes and looks like a total ghoul, was far to long.

The Rebells, that are shown as evil villains who destroy the life of the oh so innocent nobility makes me sick to my stomach. :x

I like it when historical personalities are differently interpreted in movies, books or on stage but to strip them completely from their own history and fixate your self on just this person's myth is disastrous.

Coppola was not just indifferent about the real Marie Antoinette but she also didn't care about the other characters.
They were just dressed up and had to speak their text, if any at all.
There was no character growth and it was weird that the 14-year old Marie looked exactly the same throughout the whole movie.

I like Kirsten Dunst as an Actress but she can't express her real talent in movies like that because the script is nonexistent up to shallow. :cry:

I feel like Sophia Ford Coppola interpreted her own life in Rokkoko-style. With that in mind she should have just invented her own Hollywood-star heroine instead of befoul a part of European history. :box:

Thu May 26, 2011 2:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next