Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 rosalie Lamorliere the Queens last servant 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: rosalie Lamorliere the Queens last servant
Welcome to the forum d'eon, it's a pleasure to have you join us here. I just went through some of the other areas of the forum and I have found the following all discussing Rosalie in one way or another (including an anouncement for your book!)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2004
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1548
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=220

It seems our members have always been quite interested in this fascinating lady :)

Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:07 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Noble
Noble

Dear Maggie,
Don't worry. I will try to answer to any question you have.Concerning the piece of fabric, it was just few bands of linon batiste the queen used to use for her hairdressing. She gave some of them to Rosalie who sewed them on a sheet. Rosalie asked to be buried in this sheet.
Hope i have satisfied your curiosity. I try to do my best with the words i know in english.
Concerning a portrait of Rosalie. There was one painted by the daughter of Joseph boze who was in jail in the Conciergerie. During a visit to her father, Ursule Boze painted a portrait of the last maid of the queen. No trace of it until this day. But i'm still trying to know what happened to this treasure. The only representation of Rosalie was made in the XIXth century by a painter who never met Rosalie. But it's beautiful and i used it for the cover of my book.
i hope you will have this book as soon as you order it in order to have time to do all you ave to to get it translated.
I'm so happy to see that Rosalie is a person very important to you ans the members of this forum.
Best regards
Ludovic

Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:52 pm
Noble
Noble

Adrienne wrote:
Welcome to the forum d'eon, it's a pleasure to have you join us here. I just went through some of the other areas of the forum and I have found the following all discussing Rosalie in one way or another (including an anouncement for your book!)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2004
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1548
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=220

It seems our members have always been quite interested in this fascinating lady :)

Thank you very much Adrienne

Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:54 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Here I am again D'eon being a nuisance. I am waiting for my husband to come home from Saudi Arabia where he is an engineer and can help me to order your book and the site is in French so I am a bit confused. But this is what I want to know. How did you gather so much information about Rosalie? You see my great grandparents were alive at the same time as Rosalie died (babies) and my great grandfather died just shortly after I was born. He was nearly 100. Rosalie could have held my grandfather in her arms and then he held me. It didn't happen of course, as I come from the Highlands of Scotland, but it could have happened. I am sure you understand what I am saying. I retire in a few weeks and will have a lot of time to translate your book. In fact it will be a great focus in my life in retirement as I am finding it difficult to cope with being idle. Your book is several hundred pages, that should keep me focused for quite some time.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:50 pm
Noble
Noble

I understand what you want to say dear Maggie. I was voiceless when i discovered that Lenotre, who wrote the book about Marie-Antoinette's captivity, was alive at the same time that Rosalie's daughter. I wish he could have met her. Asking things about her mother. Her souvenirs, the reasons of the apparent dissension between Rosalie and her, the identity of her father, ... If only...
Concerning the informations about Rosalie, it took me about 9 years in archives in Paris, in Breteuil where she was born, etc... I've had the opportunity to go in the room she died in 1848 at the poorhouse. I can tell it was just as she was by my side during all those years.
Have a good retirement with our friend :D

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:14 am
Royalty
Royalty

After the Queen was executed, how long did Rosalie continue to work at the Conciergerie? Was this job something she was paid a wage for, or was it for room and board? Where did she actually live at the time?
As far as her daughter was concerned, did Rosalie raise this child? Was there any kind of a social stigma connected with illegitmate children from the lower classes? What did Rosalie do after the Revolution ended?

D'eon, I won't be able to read your book as I don't read French. Unless, it becomes available to read online, then - at the top of the Google page there is a "translate" you can click on and........Voila!!

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:33 pm
Noble
Noble

Dear Lilly,
Don't know if Rosalie was paid for her work in the Conciergerie but if i refer to the pieces of Archives i found concerning the woman who was there before her, Rosalie was probably paid but it's sure that she had a room at the Richards' appartment in this jail.
She was engaged by and for the Richards' service after the massacres of Septembre in 1792. She worked there until Mister Richard's death in 1799 if my memory is clear.
After that, she worked for the daughter in law ( don't know if we can say that) of the Marquise de Créquy, a friend of Rousseau and more.
She did not raise her daughter. She was single and could not raise her alone and work at the same time. The midwife left her at Les enfants perdus ( lost children) the day the little Marie Rosalie was borned ( july 1801).
Hope all that is clear :? :wink:

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:38 pm
Noble
Noble

Dear Lilly,

i've tried your Google stuff :lol: . So here are the first lines of the first chapter. hope the translation is good. Just for all of you.

Traduction (français > anglais)
As of August 1847, heat wave took hold. The air is so stifling that few Parisians who dare to face the sun. The capital saw idling.
Yet, despite his eighty years, Rosalie Lamorlière brave the danger by entering one of the courtyards of the Hospice for the Incurable. She came here precisely because it was certain to find no one there. Because that would be crazy enough to come here in this green space, places by yellow? Around her, the high walls of buildings austere prevent the slightest breeze to circulate. And these are not rare benches arranged in a circle under the foliage of some trees planted there that would encourage residents to hold meeting.
The heat does not scare the old lady. Since the Conciergerie, where she was employed during the revolution, she learned to tame it. In August 1793, the atmosphere was stifling. At each inhalation, there was a feeling of burning lungs.
Sitting in the shade of a chestnut, Rosalie remembers the summer day in 1793, just as suffocating. She was only twenty-five years. A man presented himself with the absurd idea to save the prisoner's most unpopular in the country! His weapons? A bouquet of carnations, an iron will and an ounce of madness. At first we might have thought he was joking. But Marie Antoinette had taken the game of the dreamer. She, who so far refused any attempt to escape, had finally been persuaded by the Knight of the Order of St. Louis

Voilà :dance:

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:18 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

That certainly does give a clearer picture to English-speakers, but of course, it's never entirely accurate. For instance, translating that translated text back into French gives:

En août 1847, la vague de chaleur s'installe. L'air est si étouffant que peu de Parisiens qui osent braver le soleil. La capitale a vu la marche au ralenti.
Pourtant, malgré ses quatre-vingts ans, Rosalie Lamarlière braver le danger en entrant l'une des cours de l'Hospice des Incurables. Elle est venue ici, précisément parce qu'il était certain de n'y trouver personne. Parce que ce serait assez fou pour venir ici dans cet espace vert, jaune par endroits? Autour d'elle, les hauts murs des bâtiments austères éviter la moindre brise de circuler. Et ce ne sont pas rares bancs disposés en cercle sous le feuillage de certains arbres plantés là que serait encourager les résidents à tenir une réunion.
La chaleur ne fait pas peur de la vieille dame. Depuis la Conciergerie, où elle a travaillé pendant la révolution, elle a appris à l'apprivoiser. En août 1793, l'atmosphère était étouffante. A chaque inspiration, il y avait un sentiment de brûlure poumons.
Assis à l'ombre d'un châtaignier, Rosalie se souvient de la journée d'été en 1793, tout comme étouffante. Elle n'avait que 25 années. Un homme se présenta avec l'idée absurde de sauver le prisonnier le plus impopulaire dans le pays! Ses armes? Un bouquet d'œillets, une volonté de fer et une once de folie. Au début, on aurait pu croire qu'il plaisantait. Mais Marie-Antoinette avait pris le jeu du rêveur. Elle, qui jusqu'à présent refusé toute tentative d'évasion, avait finalement été convaincu par le Chevalier de l'Ordre de Saint-Louis

We had a beautiful dream and that was all.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:57 am
Noble
Noble

Oh, my God!! :lol:

Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:05 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Thanks for the translation d'eon - wish I could read your book!

d'eon wrote:
Oh, my God!!
What????

Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:07 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

La traduction, c'est pas incompréhensible, mais j'espère que vous savez ce que je veux dire! Ne vous inquiétez pas, ça suffit et alors, merci beaucoup pour le texte, bien sur! :)

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:25 am
Noble
Noble

Merci Monsieur Etiquette. I know what you mean, don't worry. The translation is not perfect. Most of word by word. It was just to make you a kind of present to thank you all for the interest to( or in...) Rosalie.
Monsieur Etiquette, your french is very good.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:53 pm
Noble
Noble

Lilly wrote:
Thanks for the translation d'eon - wish I could read your book!

d'eon wrote:
Oh, my God!!
What????

The translation is not very good but can give you an idea of the beginning...

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:54 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Merci, d'Eon! J'ai commencé à apprendre le français il y a... quatre ans, maintenant. Eh bien, j'essaie l'utiliser de temps en temps. C'est pas parfait, mais ça vaut le coup d'essayer toujours, hein?

Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next