Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Marie-Therese Marriage Proposals? 
Noble
Noble

Post Marie-Therese Marriage Proposals?
So, she was Madame Royale, she must've been considered for a political marriage? Now, we know that she married duc de Anguleme, but if the revolution had not taken place, who would she have married?
The other Madame Royales was married a king of Spain, a duke of Savoy and a Duke of Parma. (the other didn't get married or died before marriage was possible)

Sorry if this question have already been discussed before!

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:38 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Marie-Therese Marriage Proposals?
As far as I know, Marie-Antoinette wished she would marry Angoulème.She might have married one of Maria-Carolina's sons, but Marie-Antoinette strongly opposed this idea on the ground that it would be heart-breaking for her daughter to leave her motherland. This is reported by Madame Campan.

Notice that from the XVIII century onwards, princesses tended to be increasingly reluctant to marriages with foreign princes and to leaving France. Apart from the duchess of Parma, none of Louis XV's daughters ever got married, and the second one, Elizabeth wanted to marry the duke of Orleans, a French prince. Madame Elizabeth also shunned marriage propositions, in order to stay in France. Interestingly Marie Antoinette, who was forced into a political marriage, grew so hostile to political marriages. It speaks volumes about how she felt about her own marriage...

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:51 am
Royalty
Royalty

Ludy wrote:
Interestingly Marie Antoinette, who was forced into a political marriage, grew so hostile to political marriages.

There is a difference between being given away in marriage to solidify a political alliance - and being "forced" into a political marriage.
It was the norm for these marriages to take place on a regular basis.
Marie Antoinette was not forced to marry Louis XVI - force implies that she was resistant to the idea, which she wasn't.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:44 pm
Marie Antoinette only wanted Madame Royale to marry d'Angôuleme before the birth of the Dauphin in 1781. It was her wish that if her and Louis would never have any male heirs, the two part of the Bourbon family should be brought together in the marriage of the two cousins.
One of the reasons why Madame Royale married her cousin was that she were ensured that it was her mothers wish for her to marry him. After the birth of the Dauphin Marie Antoinette considered the future king of Sweden, Gustav IV Adolph to be a proper husband for her daugther.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:07 am
Royalty
Royalty

Where have you read this, Madame?

Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Lilly wrote:
Ludy wrote:
Interestingly Marie Antoinette, who was forced into a political marriage, grew so hostile to political marriages.

There is a difference between being given away in marriage to solidify a political alliance - and being "forced" into a political marriage.
It was the norm for these marriages to take place on a regular basis.
Marie Antoinette was not forced to marry Louis XVI - force implies that she was resistant to the idea, which she wasn't.

I am sorry, Lilly, but I think you grasped the meaning of my post. She certainly wasn't physically forced, but she was compelled to. She hardly has the choice, since it was the tradition. She was very sad and worried during her whole travel to France, and never got used to France completely. I think this is enough to say that it was not an utterly free choice. I do not put so much importance in the word I use, and I think you can understand that.

My point was precisely that at the end of the XVIII century, it was not the norm any longer. A lot of princesses were starting to object to such a practice, like Madame Elisabeth. Think about Marie-Christine, who managed to marry the man she loved - whetting jealousy amongst her sisters.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:22 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Indeed, MA didn't resist at all. She was not against her marriage to the future Louis XVI, more, she prepared herself excitedly to her journey to France. She also learned for months - not so excitedly :D - to be able to hold her own in the royal court of Versailles and accomplish her duties as the dauphine.

Still, I understand what Ludy says because there is some compelling force in the idea of political marriages since these marriages in general spared the will and wish of the young couple. The possibility that they would have married for love not really came to mind of the bride especially in case of an archiduchesse or a princess. There was no other option for her. That's sad but it was a feature of this epoch.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have to disagree.

A 14 year old girl brought up as she was can hardly agree or disagree. As Don Corleone would say, it's the kind of offers you can't refuse.

But after her marriage, she grew quite negative about that kind of alliances apparently.

Vermond noticed during her travel that she was "very preoccupied" and worried. She was cheerful only when the crowd cheered her.

I think her sisters are interesting as far as political marriages are concerned. Maria-Amalia and Maria-Carolina were herself very reluctant to get married.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]