Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Books for Children pertaining to Marie Antoinette 
Noble
Noble

Post Books for Children pertaining to Marie Antoinette
I am 17 but I remember reading a series of History books specifically designed for 8-13 year olds.The books were published under a series which was called ''Horrible Histories''.A special edition called ''Horrible Histories:France'' was released in 2002 and upon reading it,I found that Marie Antoinette was mentioned A LOT throughout but all the information was presented and written in such a way that at the age of 9,I did not like Marie Antoinette at all :shock: It was not my fault as I was of such an impressionable age but as the years went on,I read different accounts of her life and found that she was my absolute most favourite person in history!!!!!!!!!!!!Recently,I started thinking about how a lot of information about her is biased and sets the reader(the target market for these books is up to the age of 13) to dislike without ever knowing proper facts.I waffle on too much,I know it and I am heartily sorry for the length of this but I feel that books can be extremely unfair and more care should be taken.
If you have read all of this then thank you!!!!!!!I would like to know everyone else's opinion on this subject :)

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Books for Children pertaining to Marie Antoinette
I perfectly agree: I didn't read any books about her when I was a child but the way school books represented her didn't make me feel sympathetic with her. However, I'd be really interested in knowing if there are any children books about her or her world that depict her in a more accurate way. Does anyone knows that?
P.S. I also knoe the "horrible stories" series. I must confess I find them quite funny :angel1:

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:32 pm
Noble
Noble

I do have quite a collection of books on my favourite historical figures and era's and some of them are for children! I just finished this and it actually is amazingly sympathetic while being completely factual
http://www.usborne.com/catalogue/catalo ... rh&id=1756

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:38 pm
Moi and Marie Antoinette, Marie Antoinette by Katie Daynes, and Princess of Versailles (Royal Diaries) are the most sympathetic that I've read... I haven't yet read Spilling the Beans on Marie Antoinette or two other child-oriented biographies on the queen yet, though.

Most children's books and programs (and let's face it, even those aimed at adults are guilty) skew the French Revolution into: The monarchy was very very bad and heartless and the people rose up against them for equality. Simplification is a given but it's sad that people think children can't comprehend anything that isn't black and white.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]