Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Favourite historical figures other than Marie Antoinette 
Noble
Noble

Post Re: Favourite historical figures other than Marie Antoinette
I love all of Tudor history!!!! It's my favorite time period to learn about. Henry VIII is a fascinating character, but what I find more fascinating are the women who shaped him, Elizabeth of York, and his six wives, among others. I love Henry VII too, and all of Henry VIII's children, but especially Elizabeth. For some reason I'm not a big fan of the Stuart Mary Queen of Scots, though.
My other favorites have mostly all been mentioned multiple times, except the very intriguing last generation of the Romanovs. Nicholas II and Alexandra (granddaughter of Queen Victoria who is also extremely interesting), and their 5 children are quite fascinating.

Thu May 21, 2009 12:41 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Anouk wrote:
Ludy wrote:

I am most entralled by portrait, and François Clouet is one of my favourite artists. This portrait is, I think, he's best work. A masterpiece : the gaze, the hands, the hairdo everything is flawless and so movingly expressive !

Really, her face was nice and very expressive. The painter did a great job- the background emphasizes her features, especially her soft skin.

Ludy wrote:
But she was meek, pious, withdrawn ... An ideal queen, in a way.

Well, I think these attributes do not always good- a good example is Marie Antoinette who was a rebel against etiquette. She had several enemies but some who respected (and some who still respects) her because of this opposition. After all, I do not want to query your words, because I must admit that I do not know much about her life. One thing is sure: considering the events of St. Bartholomew's day massacre (events made Elizabeth a "casus belli") at that time she could make use of her attributes above.

I agree with you, I much prefer Marie-Antoinette, but, with a sort of misoginy, queens like Elisabeth were much more beloved, even though they could be less integrated than Marie-Antoinette was. Besides, the role of queens was quite different before Louis XIV : they were less important figures and the whole ceremonial did not lean upon their shoulders. They had also much privacy, which was not the case for MA. As for Elisabeth, she also was under Catherine de Medicis' thumb, and was thus quite unsignificant. At last, she was adamant and upset at St Bartholomew's day, even though she resented protestants. She wrote two books, one of them tackling the events she witnessed in France, unfortunately, both were lost.

I forgot to mention Mary Stuart and Diane de Poitiers. I can't say I love Diane de Poitier, for she's quite a detestable kind of person, but she's mesmerising...

Fri May 22, 2009 6:11 am
Royalty
Royalty

I didn't know this fact about Elisabeth. History books not really mentions her attitude.
I agree, the 18th century was the "women's century", rules changed... women controlled kings and princes, and I suppose this was not allowable during former centuries.

Fri May 22, 2009 10:13 am
Queen Carolien Mathilde of Denmark is one of my favourites! ^^

Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:59 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I would have to say Eleanor of Aquitaine because she knew what she wanted in life and she wasn't afraid to pursue it.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 pm
Noble
Noble

:lol: Oh my,there are so many historical figures that I love!!!!!!! Oscar Wilde is one of them but I have probably exhausted just about every topic there is about him so right now I would say JANE AUSTEN!!!!!!!! Love,love,love her!

Tue May 31, 2011 11:14 pm
Royalty
Royalty

My list is a parallel universe.. always expanding it seems! :lol: I forgot to add Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart who is brilliant, but strangely immature that makes him fascinating. Maria Theresa because she was a tough cookie!!!!! I apologize for no adding the correct accent marks, I will admit I am feeling too lazy. :p Francois I, Josephine Bonaparte (not Napoleon), Winston Churchill (because he and I would get along I think) "I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." and my favorite quote albeit inappropriate, but humorous nonetheless: "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly." J.R.R. Tolkien because he was an amazing author and such a brilliant linguist he constructed his own language. Denis Diderot because he valued education for women... and from the perspective of a woman that is always appreciated. Abagail Adams because she was feisty and told it like it is with John Adams. And if there are anymore I will definately list them.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:10 am
Noble
Noble

Reading the above post made me remember some more of my favourite historical figures!
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart-As has been said before,his immaturity makes him more endearing to us all :)

Madame de Stael-She was a key figure in the changing literary tastes that came about during the first half of the 19th century

Beau Brummel-AMAZING!!!!!!!! I would have LOVED to have known him :biggrin:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:00 am
Noble
Noble

Elizabeth I (indeed, she was my first favorite historical figure!)
Oscar Wilde
Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire

I have other favorites as well, but these stand out in my mind. :angel4:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

Post Your other favorite historical figures
I have always held a fascination with Marie Antoinette. I have read book upon book about her, visited blog upon blog, have decorated my room in her style, dressed as her for many an Hallow's eve, and have kept her as inspiration for many things. However, recently I have found myself fascinated with the Tudor period, and most of all, Anne Boleyn, another woman of power cursed to be beheaded. Yet it makes me wonder: What other historical figures are you fascinated with? :)

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:14 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Your other favorite historical figures
- Catherine de Medicis (as well as her sons and daughters), Louis XIII ...
And many others.

- Napoleon, Lenin (USSR by and large), Dwight Eisenhower, the Second World War, Charles de Gaulle.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:30 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I'm fascinated with Cesare Borgia. His life, character, rise to power and fall is just really interesting to me.
Furthermore, Michelotto Corella, Lucrecia Borgia and Caterina Sforza.

I don't know why but the historical Person who intrigues me the most, maybe because there is not enough information, is Phillippe de Lorraine-Armagnac, Chevalier de Lorraine. He was the favourite of Philippe de Orleans, the brother of Louis the XIV,(all Characters I'm also fascinated with).
The woman I'm intrigued with the most is Elisabeth Charlotte ( Liselotte von der Pfalz).

I really have to say that I'm fascinated with all historical Personalities.
If I list all of them, my post would be endless :oops:

Oh, and not to forget, Carlo Broschi (Farinelli)

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:35 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I imagine you have read her excellent and very amusing letters!! :)

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:20 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Oh Baron, yes indeed! :)
My interest started because of a movie about her, from the 60's.
My mother told me about Liselotte and so I watched this movie together with her.
For her birthday, I got Dirk Van der Cruysse's "Madame sein ist ein ellendes Handwerck".
Unfortunately, she didn't have time, so I started to read it and just couldn't stop :love:

I was shocked to find out that the movie has almost nothing to do with the true event's but at the same time my obsession began. The truth is much more fascinating and we get such a detailed description about event's, characters and manners, that you think you were standing right there.
In all those years, I read this book 9 times already and I'm desperate to find a book about Philippe de Lorraine or at least more information.

I will admit that my love for this time-period in France started with the movie "Angélique, Marquise des Anges and it's continuations. I was about 7 years old and had a total unrealistic conception about this period.
However, those movies started my fascination and I educated myself further. Sometimes shocked to be faced with displeasing truths, I was not demoralized at all. :love:

My fascination with Marie Antoinette, the Rokkoko and the French Revolution started with the Anime and Manga " Rose of Versailles".
I know, it sounds really childish but I was 6 years old, and I think that through art we find interest in the truth and start to investigate.

I would like to know more about Marie Antoinette but the problem is her strong mystified character.
This makes it extremely difficult to find a book with a neutral view.
I don't want to waste money on a biography that is biased and embellished.
I can't understand people who show her as a whore or, on the other side, the innocent heroine.
For example, what bothers me a lot is the unshakable conviction, that Antonia and Fersen were just friends.
I admit, I also gloriefied historical personalities, but I was a teenager at that time.
Ok, there is no exact proof but strong hints, and if you know a little bit about psychology, it is really obvious or at least eyebrow-raising.

I just hate that, depending on authors personalities , informations are dropped or stretched in such a way, that a biography changes in to a novel about sex or martyrdom.

I'm sorry that I wandered from the subject, but as a typical woman I like to babble a lot. :oops:

Oh, and excuse my insufficient English.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Your English is very good, don't worry! Where are you from?

I very much like your description of MA as being a strong mystified character! That is very true. So many people write a lot of crap about MA, because they have not understood that she had that character. She was in fact a very intelligent and complex person, emotional, strong willed, tender, artistic, proud and in a very real sense regal. Regal almost in that mystic sense you speak of, because she influenced people very strongly, even after a short meeting, and even staunch revolutionaries changed their opinion after meeting her and risked their lives for her. Perhaps the most remarkable conversion this mysticism achieved was Mirabeau, transformed after their brief meeting at St Cloud.

And tomorrow, over 200 years later, four of us will spend 2 days following her fateful footsteps from Paris to Varennes and back, which just goes to show how her mysticism operates even beyond the grave. After all my particular "coup de foudre", as the French call it, or lightning strike happened in front of her statue in St Denis cathedral, there where her mortal remains are laid to rest and maybe her soul hovers still, choosing new acolytes amongst the unsuspecting visitors!

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next