Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Favourite historical figures other than Marie Antoinette 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Favourite historical figures other than Marie Antoinette
Ludy wrote:

Unfortunately, I think that such a debate is warped by our own personal experciences, and at the end of the day, tells more about us than about Marie-Antoinette.

Speak for yourself! :lol: I for one never once personalized this discussion nor intended to!!

On the rest we agree, it must have been traumatizing, but then I've never been a woman in that position....no pun intended! :wink:

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

[quote="baron de batz"]Speak for yourself! :lol: I for one never once personalized this discussion nor intended to!! [quote]

... Hum...

I merely meant that everybody sees in MA what he/she wants to see in her according to one's values, principles and experiences - and this is true of biographers as well. :roll:

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:55 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Don't roll your eyes like that at me Mademoiselle!! :lol: :lol:

Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
Don't roll your eyes like that at me Mademoiselle!! :lol: :lol:

Well, I am a bit touchy.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oops....

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:40 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Orleans87 -
I have also re-read the previous posts between us, and have found nothing that anyone should be offended by. Therefore, it is a little hard to understand where the anger is coming from. There was but one point being made here and that was regarding the issue of Eleanor of Aquitaine being sold like a cow. It was not my intent to turn this thread into a discussion of Eleanor - hence, the short answers and sticking to that point. I did not feel I needed to interject all that other stuff. The remark about her providing many heirs for Henry was said lightly - like OMG 10 kids!
Personally, I cannot imagine having 10 kids! LOL For my part, I will cease to discuss Eleanor anymore as I seem to have stirred up hostility by commenting on what I took to be an inaccurate statement. Further, it is disheartening when the topic is strayed from and words turn personal. Frustration does not give anyone the right to personal comments about another.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:47 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Why do you think I'm offended and angered Lilly?

Are you talking about my discussion with the Baron and thought I meant you? Cause I get that feeling from your post.

At the beginning I didn't know why you were angered at all, so I read every post again, and came to the conclusion that the post mentioned above, is the only thing you could be angry about.

Now when I read it, I can kind of understand why you eventually thought I was talking about you.
My bad. :(

I'm active in a couple other historical forums and were referring to some devout fans of Louis XIV, I encountered a couple days ago, and Marie Antoinette-worshipper in general.

However, even if I were talking about our discussion, I didn't insult anybody personally, so I still wouldn't understand where the irritation is coming from. :?:

I will apologize again 8)

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:41 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Thanks for your reply Orleans87 - I really did think that you were upset on account of something I said! I'm glad to know I've caused no problem. I noticed you were also interested in Louis XIV - as am I. If you ever want to compare notes on him, I'm game! Madame Montespan and I share the same birthday.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:32 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Lilly:

I really have to say that this misunderstanding is my fault.
We had a discussion and disagreed, but I rather enjoyed our verbal exchange.
However, I can see where you are coming from, and I should have noticed before, that you eventually would feel personally addressed.

I didn't think at all about that, so I was really shocked by your post and at first, I didn't know what was going on.

Twilight-zone or something like that. :lol:

The reason why I didn't think about it at all was, I suppose, me totally weirded out by some Louis XIV-super-fans,
who think that the movie (not even the novel) "the man in the iron-mask" with Leonardo DiCaprio, describes the actual history. :shock:

I never would get angry while discussing, in a respectful manner, a woman's independence in medieval-times.

Just to come back to Eleanor for a moment. It is just my personal feeling that I would think I was "sold like a cow" if that ever happened to me.
If she felt like that,I don't know at all. :?:

I'm happy that we could clear that up and I would enjoy a discussion about Louis XIV very much.

Quote:
Madame Montespan and I share the same birthday

That is enviable. I share my birthday with Sophia Dorothea of Hanover. Not the most famous and rememberable historical person after all. :?

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:52 am
Royalty
Royalty

I am happy to know that we continue as friends Orleans87!

Yesterday, I was surprised by a thoughtful friend with a gift of the book "Louis XIV" by Olivier Bernier. Have you read this book? I'll start a new topic here on Louis XIV.
Look forward to your thoughts!

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:49 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Oh Lilly, I would love to have such a thoughtful friend.

I didn't read it yet, but heard about it.

I think I won't be reading it for a while because I'm waiting for
"Brother of the Sun King: Philippe, Duke of Orleans" by Nancy Nichols Barker, to be shipped. :P

However, after I read it, I certainly will look more deeply into Bernier's book. Thank you for the suggestion, it looks worth it's price.

Did you ever watch "Le Roi danse"? I love it. It is about Lully and his life in Versailles under Louis XIV.
I know that a movie can't capture the real essence but it is really enjoyable to watch. The French just know how to do it. :love:

I certainly will be part of the discussion about Louis XIV and I'm already waiting in anticipation. :dance:

Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:00 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ludy wrote:
I merely meant that everybody sees in MA what he/she wants to see in her according to one's values, principles and experiences - and this is true of biographers as well.

I think this is 100% true.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:10 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I am a fan of thr tudor era. Not so much henry viii but i have a huge intrest in his wives. Poor lil katherine howard who lost her pretty lil teenage head. I also have a love of elizabeth 1, and of course her great grandmother elizabeth woodville and her husband edward iv. For some reason i feel a connection to elizabeth woodville, i guess the relationship she and her mother shared reminds me of my mother and myself. Also the love between her husband edward vi also reminds me of my husband and myself and the love he had for her childern and the way she cared for them herself which was something unheard of for royals of that time or anytime for that matter. The pain she must of felt for her sons "the princes in the tower" its so sad that as a mother i could not even imagine what that would feel like nor would i want to. She was a famous beauty of her time that for me at least intriges me.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:51 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

To revive a dead thread, I gotta say I'm in the same boat with a few of you with my fondness for the Tudor Era. However, my favorite figure from that time wasn't a natural-born Tudor. Anne Boleyn. Her story intrigues me, and is actually what catapulted me into an interest in history in the first place. George Washington is another character of interest.

Recently, however, I just got out of a huge obsession with Richard III. Veronique cites the story of the Princes in the Tower, and I do find that story tragic, especially for poor Elizabeth Woodville, but I'll be a Ricardian to the end. I have an attraction to the figures who had their reputations besmirched wrongly (that's one of the reasons I popped up at a Marie Antoinette forum -I think most everyone here would agree that she was and still is wrongly crucified).

And finally, one of my other pet historical figures is (as unpopular as it may be to say on a site devoted to the Widow Capet) Maximilien Robespierre. ;)

Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:07 am
Peasant
Peasant

Peter the Great was interesting at first, read three-quarters through but got bored after awhile, too much fighting and strategizing for me :)

I thought that UK's Princess Charlotte, the one who refused to marry the guy her dad chose for her (with lots of drama), married the one she loved, and then died very soon after in childbirth was interesting and touching - a good short read. I actually just borrowed a book to look at some pictures of dresses :) and her story was a short chapter inside that I chanced upon.

Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette is the only biography I've ready from start to end, TWICE, which is impressive for me. I mean I read other books multiple times, but for biographies, only this one book!

Marie Antoinette inspired dresses for the Modern Era
www.facebook.com/theatrette
Twitter: @TheatretteStyle
Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LittleTheatrette?ref=si_shop

Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next