Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 other royal residence(please help me to choose) 
Noble
Noble

Post other royal residence(please help me to choose)
hi~~
postpone for several years,finally,i decide to start my MA tour.
but limited to time,i have to choose two Château in following list

Rambouillet
Compiègne
Chantilly

i don't know which one i have to give up ,it's really hard for me....

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: other royal residence(please help me to choose)
Good evening Inès,

I would frankly not go for Compiègne. Although it is historically very significant, the castel burnt at least once. Everything was refurbished, but it still looks somewhat spooky. Besides, what is left as far as furniture is concerned will bring you back to Napoleon Ist and Napoleon III's era more than to Marie-Antoinette's. Although the same can be said of many Château surrounding Paris.

Chantilly is an excellent choice, I heard, I am gasping to visit it, but I haven't been able to. I wouldn't say that it is especially linked the queen though ... :roll: but the same can be said about Rambouillet. I have not been to Rambouillet either, but I do think it is worth visiting. It is not very relevant as far as the Queen is concerned, but it does bear some historical significance : it has been an official residence of the presidents of France for a long time. And it certainly is an original choice.

To sum it up, I would opt for Chantilly and Rambouillet, and quite paradoxically, since Compiègne is certainly the one that is the most tightly linked with Marie-Antoinette.

Have a nice trip !

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I would agree that Chantilly is the best experience of the three, although the park at Rambouillet is beautiful and the Queen's dairy is a jewel....built for MA by Louis XVI and only re-opened a few years ago.

At Chantilly you have a little hamlet, precursor to the Queen's hamlet, and the wonderful monkey cabinet and a series of beautiful 18th rooms "en enfilade".

If you're interested in the famous "séries" or weekend dances during the crinolene age of Napoléon III, then Compiègne is the place. And of course there are some reminders of Louis XVI and MA still to be seen, though much has been changed.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:41 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
I would agree that Chantilly is the best experience of the three, although the park at Rambouillet is beautiful and the Queen's dairy is a jewel....built for MA by Louis XVI and only re-opened a few years ago.

As Jacques Chirac would say, I lost a good occasion to shut up.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:07 am
Noble
Noble

ludy,baron de batz, thanks for your information,it really helps !! i think i'll put Chantilly in my schedule !!

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:06 pm
Noble
Noble

by the way, dose Carnavalet Museum recommend ? Some MA private item seem interesting!

merci !!

Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:21 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

ines wrote:
by the way, dose Carnavalet Museum recommend ? Some MA private item seem interesting!

merci !!

This is my favourite museum in Paris ! Yes, there are some MA items -a shoe, maybe a fan, and some other things I fail to remember... There is also a piece of Louis XV's statue, that was brought down and removed from nowdays "Place de la Concorde", and a lot of paintings of XVIII artists MA liked, such as Hubert Robert. This is a must see for a XVIII century lover !

There are a lot of interesting things in this area as well, if you have time. Victor Hugo's house, and Picasso museum (if it has re-opened). Museum Cognacq Jay is not far away either. If was a private mansion of art collectors and there are some nice XVIII things to see -for instance, the portraits of Louis XV's daughters and wife. Nothing fascinating however.

Enjoy your stay and let us know about your impressions !

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The Musée Cognacq Jay is wonderful with a beautiful collection of miniature snuff boxes. Right next to it is the Swedish cultural centre, a good place for tea and this house belonged to Mme de Polignac for a while...the Musée Carnavalet, Madame de Sévigné's residence, is a very interesting museum with a great French revolution collection, including a lock of MA's hair, one of her travel knives and the actual and very spartan furniture from the Temple prison.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:43 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
The Musée Cognacq Jay is wonderful with a beautiful collection of miniature snuff boxes.

In the category "private mansions owned by collectors", Cognacq Jay is outshone by Jacquemart André, which is also one of my favourite museum ever. But it's not the same neighbourhood at all. It's breath-takingly beautiful. Oh, anyway, I love Cognacq Jay as well !

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:57 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

it is nice but less 18th century....depends what one wants to see. Ideally both! Jaquemart André has a wonderful tea room for the afternoon....in a magnificent decorated room with a terrace.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:05 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
it is nice but less 18th century....depends what one wants to see. Ideally both! Jaquemart André has a wonderful tea room for the afternoon....in a magnificent decorated room with a terrace.

Mmmm, yes, but there are still a few Vigée Lebrun and maybe Fragonard and Boucher (I might be mistaken though). But it is also quite far from the Marais, and the entrance fees are higher than in Cognacq Jay.

You are probably right but, I would say however that it's more worth visiting than Cognacq Jay. Now, it depends on a lot of factors of course.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:21 pm
Noble
Noble

Museum Cognacq Jay sounds great!!

Last edited by ines on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:53 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

That's something to ask our dear Baron !

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:46 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Her family home was the Hotel de Toulouse. She had her own mansion in Passy, which is now the Turkish embassy....the Hotel de Lamballe in the 16th district. Some of the original mansion remains, the staircase I believe is the original. But obviously rarely open to visitors.

There is a plaque in her memory at the spot on the pavement where she was massacred in the Marais district on the old site of the Force prison (no longer there)

Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:22 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:

Now I remember that I enjoyed it very very much! :angel8:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next