Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 New Member Policy 
Royalty
Royalty

Post New Member Policy
I have established a new member policy to help control spam registrations. It's now necessary to answer a relatively simple question about Marie Antoinette when registering to the forum. I am hopeful that only those with a genuine interest in Marie Antoinette will have the knowledge to answer or be interested enough to find the answer - we shall see in coming days how successful it is at deterring the 'human' marketing and spam merchants from joining us. The question may well be too easy, in which case it will be tweaked until I find something that works!

I will also over the coming days be deactivating and subsequently deleting memberships where no posts have been made. There are quite a few registrations containing spam links in signatures and website links which have slipped through the cracks and this should help get rid of those. I will be doing this on a monthly basis from now on, so the best way to avoid being deactivated and/or deleted if you are genuinely interested in our forum is to post something, even just a brief hello, when you join. I know there are many who like to lurk on forums, but it's possible to read almost everything here without registering and you will still be able to read the posts as an unregistered guest if you find your account disappear from underneath you. I have also disallowed the posting of links in signatures, so if you had a link in yours you should think about changing it!

Thanks to everyone for your patience with the growing problem of ambush marketing and spam that is occurring on the boards, please know that I (and also others here, Fleur in particular is doing a sterling job) are working hard to keep it under control.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:45 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: New Member Policy
I think you should delete inactive memberships Adrienne. And one question about MA doesn't seem enough. You should link it to books read or something which requires a minimum of research. Spammers won't bother looking into books, but try and avoid the answer being available on Wikipedia. Otherwise it is a matter of seconds to find it for a determined spammer.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:33 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I have to disagree. Books may not be so commonly available, and the question stops bots (if the CAPTCHA doesn't already). It's the people who personally sign up and personally post spam or advertisements who can then be deleted quickly, right off the bat.

I think that if you make it too difficult, you limit membership; and what is this forum, after all, but a place for others to come and learn and communicate, to communally discuss Marie Antoinette? We're all still learning: it would be a poor choice to cut off people's opportunity to contribute if they did not have particular knowledge of something, or had no access to a specific book.

We had a beautiful dream and that was all.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:58 am
Royalty
Royalty

That is my thinking exactly Monsieur Etiquette, this question has to be accessible to those with a passing interest in Marie Antoinette and who might like to learn more, but it ought to require a human spammer who knows nothing of Antoinette to take the time to find the answer, even if they find it in wikipedia and most of them do not have the time to spare. As I said, we shall see how it goes!

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:28 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I bow to the majority vote with good grace! :)

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:50 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I strongly recommend that inactive members (who are inactive for years or never made a single post) should be deleted. It annoys me to see over 500 members knowing how little of them participate or have ever made a single contribution! This should be a small community of people who are genuinely interested in M.A. and this era, we shouldn't put of intelligent and well read individuals who can contribute a lot in favor of rather large number of people who know nothing and have just a passing interest.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:05 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Funny you should post here today Marija, I have just done the biggest clean up of the member list since I started the monthly checks. As of this morning anyone who registered more than 6 months ago or has been inactive (that is, has not even visited the forum) for more than 6 months and has less than 10 posts has been pruned from the boards. Any posts that were made are retained, but the membership is cancelled. It has results in our numbers reducing to around 250 I think if memory serves me correctly.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:39 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Super!! :wave:

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:33 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think you could go even further than that Adrienne! There are not 250 regular contributors here.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:48 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Monsieur Etiquette wrote:
I have to disagree. Books may not be so commonly available, and the question stops bots (if the CAPTCHA doesn't already). It's the people who personally sign up and personally post spam or advertisements who can then be deleted quickly, right off the bat.

I think that if you make it too difficult, you limit membership; and what is this forum, after all, but a place for others to come and learn and communicate, to communally discuss Marie Antoinette? We're all still learning: it would be a poor choice to cut off people's opportunity to contribute if they did not have particular knowledge of something, or had no access to a specific book.

As far as I am concerned, I utterly agree with Monsieur Etiquette.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:58 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I personaly think the forum is making a big mistake going down this route.
So what if members come and go after a short time, at least they will leave with a more informed view about Marie Antoinette, than when they first came to the board.
And that should be what this forum is about, to tell people that the "Let Them Eat Cake" view of her is wrong, unless of couarse you prefare to have a small narrow minded group who want to only share thoughts among themselves. You need to have a total rethink about this, Adrienne

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Personally, without wish to argue, I am for that to have a smaller group that knows more, wish to know more, or is more interested in this subject. We had a few people, who knew a lot about the 18th century (one particularly all about the 18th c. music), but felt that most of the people here were ignorant. At one point we had a lot of argues here as well. I can name the members I speak of is anyone is interested can send me a pm. I also sent Adrienne, at one point, a message with all the spam like treads or that are concerning something completely trivial, something that has nothing to do with the interest we speak of here. There is also a girl that at first posted a few posts about the 18th century and then bunch of her half nude photos! Ok, that is her right, we all like to meet each other better here and even speak about our private lives. Leaving her aside, please read all posts of Comtesse de Provance, there is not a single post (except the introduction and when she quotes someone) that is made of more than one very short or very meaningless sentence. I even thought she was a spam. (If this is too much, please delete this part Adrienne). So all this people come and go (never return) which leaves us with couple of regular members who are genuinely interested, we all had periods when we couldn't contribute, but we all return in the end. I don't see nothing wrong in making this forum a bit more serious. If someone likes MA, 18th century he/she can visit forum but become a member after reading something, when he/she can write something meaningful to others. Personally I don't understand people who are very interested in something and start searching for basic information on forums (Like one who asked what was a Bourbon restoration). My interest started when I read Dangerous Liaisons and finished a project about the French revolution, then I read "The hidden diary of Marie Antoinette" fictional book, then I started reading all I could find in the library, I wasn't expert in Marie Antoinette but at least I joined the forum (a couple of years ago, after visiting it for some time) when I could contribute in at least one subject! I had limited knowledge but I tried to discuss that little I knew. I wish other new members could think that way too and not join if this is something that holds them just 5 minutes after watching the Coppola movie.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:29 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

mercy-argenteau wrote:
I personaly think the forum is making a big mistake going down this route.
So what if members come and go after a short time, at least they will leave with a more informed view about Marie Antoinette, than when they first came to the board.
And that should be what this forum is about, to tell people that the "Let Them Eat Cake" view of her is wrong, unless of couarse you prefare to have a small narrow minded group who want to only share thoughts among themselves. You need to have a total rethink about this, Adrienne

I also feel that we ought to behave like ambassadors, and not like snobs.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:38 pm
Royalty
Royalty

There are many many people who come to this forum for the sole purpose of spamming. There are others who contribute one word responses which are meaningless, (such as LOL and the like)and they never come back. As Moderators, we are almost constantly cleaning up this spam - perhaps before some members are even aware the spammer has been here. I personally get online some mornings to find one of these people has spammed 10 topics - or more! I try to immediately delete their spam as does any other Moderator or Adrienne. One of our recent members - MarkToronto - did you all see him? He posted a sexy photo of himself - with body stats and all - it was really quite funny. He hasn't returned after I responded that this wasn't a dating site - another Moderator then deleted him.
It is these types of memberships that I agree should be deleted. There has to be at least 100 or more of completely inactive memberships here. People can still look at the forum and rejoin if they choose.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:53 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Lilly wrote:
One of our recent members - MarkToronto - did you all see him? He posted a sexy photo of himself - with body stats and all - it was really quite funny.

No, I didn't see it. :lol:

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next