Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Bastille Day 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Bastille Day
Thank you!! :rainbow:
This is conforting!

Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:43 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Bastille

Attachments:
Paris200900166.jpg
Paris200900166.jpg [ 87.85 KiB | Viewed 2905 times ]
Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:12 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Thanks for sharing Lilly. Do you realize you have posted two of the same print? :)

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:23 am
Royalty
Royalty

Yes, I realized after it was done. (ha-ha.. I think I was having a "blonde" moment.) A photo I took last October - This picture hangs in an upstairs hallway at Vaux le Vicomte.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:59 am
Royalty
Royalty

Interesting! What were the gardens like in Autumn and (please forgive my curiosity) were you accompanied by Le Baron and Marija?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:53 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Curiouser and curiouser said Alice.....

Well I don't know about Marija but I certainly wasn't there.... :wink:

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:10 am
Royalty
Royalty

I found the gardens at Vaux le Vicomte to be well taken care - better so than the chateau, which is still under private ownership and needs alot of work. I personally find Paris enchanting in the Autumn - the flowers are still in bloom and the color is beautiful, especially with the leaves just starting to change. My favorite time of year!
Unfortunately, Marija and Baron were not with me that day. We had all spent a full day together before this and were able to get together again on another evening. I am hoping to see them both again as I'm going to Paris the first week of October - and meeting Anouk there too!

Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:39 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I loved Vaux le Vicomte, did you see it in the evening, when it is lighted by candles? Did you go inside? I also loved the little restaurant where the girls serve in costumes, it is very nice to sit there in the evening and the food is very good. Maybe you should open a new topic Lilly and post some photos as there is a lot we could talk about :rainbow: ?

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:18 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I loved Vaux le Vicomte too! Unfortunately, I was not there in the evening and didn't see the candlelight, I'll bet it was beautiful. I saw everything inside that you are allowed to see - Nicholas Fouquet was surely proud of what he'd created. When I was there was in the daytime and I remember seeing a rack of costumes upon entering. Apparently these were for rent, but quite honestly I thought they looked cheap. I will start a new thread on Vaux le Vicomte and post some of the pictures I took there.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:29 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

My dream of visiting France came true so i was in Paris from July 13-24. If course the city was amazingly beautiful all of what I expected and more. I went to see the fireworks by the Eiffel Tower and even though it was a cliche I still loved it. There were people partying in the streets everywhere! As For the National Fete, I didn't feel much sympathy for it since I know what it really stands for.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:21 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Today is Bastille Day (the first anniversary symbolized by the Fête de la Féderation) one where many people celebrate the 'fall of tyranny' without really knowing the true story. Alongside the September Massacres and the murders of the Royal Family, it is a very important day in the history of Marie Antoinette. How distressing it must of been for her and particularly the following year where they were forced to attend as constitutional monarchs, and by demand she lifted the Dauphin to the crowds.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:09 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes it was a strange party, and was the beginning of a kind of masonic cult of the supreme being...as the altar erected in the middle of the huge purpose built arena in the Champ de mars attests. And yet the clergy was present...those who had sworn allegiance that is..

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:40 pm
Royalty
Royalty

The Festival of the Supreme Being....weird!!! Sworn clergy... :roll:

I just think how surreal and sad the Fête must of been for MA and her family. Then again, if they were able to live on as constitutional monarchs - even though Louis felt he would be a 'king without a crown' - it would of been ok if not for the radical elements of the Assembly. :|

Did you stay at home and listen to Grétry and try and forget about this horrible 'celebration'?

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
Today is Bastille Day (the first anniversary symbolized by the Fête de la Féderation) one where many people celebrate the 'fall of tyranny' without really knowing the true story. Alongside the September Massacres and the murders of the Royal Family, it is a very important day in the history of Marie Antoinette. How distressing it must of been for her and particularly the following year where they were forced to attend as constitutional monarchs, and by demand she lifted the Dauphin to the crowds.

Indeed. But I mean ... Whatever.

I made my way to the military parade on the Champs Elysées yesterday, and it was very impressive and beautiful. Especially the Republican guard.)

Attachments:
garde-republicaine-280885.jpg
garde-republicaine-280885.jpg [ 175.61 KiB | Viewed 2759 times ]

Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:16 am
Royalty
Royalty

Ludy wrote:
Délicate fleur wrote:
Indeed. But I mean ... Whatever.

I made my way to the military parade on the Champs Elysées yesterday, and it was very impressive and beautiful. Especially the Republican guard.)

Oh dear, Ludy! That is a bit harsh, is it not? I don't take this 100% seriously and I realize that being French means that this day has more depth for you, but really.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next