Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Louis XVI and Marquis de Sade 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Louis XVI and Marquis de Sade
baron de batz wrote:
One thng is sure, what is seen as acceptable and what is not is subject to change through time. We are far more prudish about mistresses and extra marital affairs than they were in the 18th century (a time when in high society it was not considered 'bon ton" to love one's wife too openly! :lol: ), which is no doubt why we have a 50% divorce rate in big cities where the "offer" is so extensive, and not just for men!!

I've read somewhere that a man could not put his hand over the armchair's back on which a lady was set down. ( I don't know if I can express me well in english^_^)
Nowdays men simply don't stand up when the train is full and women are standing.
How sad period is this for galantry! :angel1:

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:08 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You are correct that was the etiquette.

Yes I admit this is not a good period for gallantry, but those who love that century try and live with its' principles and its' behaviour. What is also so lacking is wit and the fine art of delicate conversation. As people do not on the whole read, they have little command of vocabulary, which therefore excludes conversation except on the most basic level.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

For example despite his sulfurous reputation I would rather spend 30 minutes conversing with the Marquis de Sade than the same period of time with any contemporary person alive. How utterly challenging it would be intellectually, quite apart from linguistically!

Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:26 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

baron de batz wrote:
You are correct that was the etiquette.

Yes I admit this is not a good period for gallantry, but those who love that century try and live with its' principles and its' behaviour. What is also so lacking is wit and the fine art of delicate conversation. As people do not on the whole read, they have little command of vocabulary, which therefore excludes conversation except on the most basic level.

I would like to know if there is some kind of book which collect all the ethiquette manners of 18 century, most of alla the ones of Versailles.
Do you think there is? :angel1:

Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:14 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

baron de batz wrote:
For example despite his sulfurous reputation I would rather spend 30 minutes conversing with the Marquis de Sade than the same period of time with any contemporary person alive. How utterly challenging it would be intellectually, quite apart from linguistically!

since I'm a woman maybe alone with De Sade I would be in dangerous :angel1: I would prefer talking with any courtisan , just to hear somme mot d'ésprit.
Ah! Yes I would like to talk to Choderlos de Laclos, very amazing man, I suppose.
Or also with Restif de la Bretonne :angel1:

Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:19 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I'm quite sure that De Sade would have been very well behaved with you. After all these are novels, not real life.

As for Choderlos de Laclos a brilliant but scheming man, who influenced greatly the Duc d'Orléans. Maybe his characters were closer to him in as far as they too were sly and cunning.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:09 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

baron de batz wrote:
I'm quite sure that De Sade would have been very well behaved with you. After all these are novels, not real life.

As for Choderlos de Laclos a brilliant but scheming man, who influenced greatly the Duc d'Orléans. Maybe his characters were closer to him in as far as they too were sly and cunning.

have you read Restif de la Bretonne 's book "Revolutionary nights"? There is a description of the terrible days of the massacre in the prisons.The author is a very interesting person, his nickname was " the owl" :angel1:
there is also a society in his honour
http://www.retifdelabretonne.net/
:cat:

Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:10 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

No but I must do, and thanks for the recommendation!

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:54 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

baron de batz wrote:
No but I must do, and thanks for the recommendation!

that time was full of interesting people, the contrary of nowdays :angel1:

Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:

It is clear from his books that Marquis de Sade wrote about his own philosophy and ideas he believed in and from the things we know about his life, I wouldn't be sure how well behaved he would be. :wink:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Things he believed in maybe, but did he practice such cruel things?

He was in prison for quite a lot of it, poor man!

I don't know enought about his life to judge, never having read a bio of his life. However I'm sure that he had the typical exquisite manner of expressing himself.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Wasn't he accused of sexually and physically abusing women, I remember reading about a particular case, he imprisoned a prostitute and abused her but she managed to escape? He wasn't imprisoned for nothing, he wrote about the things he liked practicing as well as his fantasies I believe.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

As I said I don't know enough about his life to reply.

I suppose I could go on wikipedia!

Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:07 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marija Vera wrote:
Wasn't he accused of sexually and physically abusing women, I remember reading about a particular case, he imprisoned a prostitute and abused her but she managed to escape? He wasn't imprisoned for nothing, he wrote about the things he liked practicing as well as his fantasies I believe.

I read it as well. A chamber maid I think -very Strauss-Kahnesque indeed.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:08 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I have always been under the same impression that he was sexually abusive to women. Wasn't he into S&M?? Unless he had willing partners..........

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next