Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Wikipedia 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Wikipedia
Wikipedia is very kind to our queen. Here are some beautiful quotes about her that bring tears to my eyes.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Marie_Anoinette

The main Wkipedia entry is fairly positive and accurate, surprisingly so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Antoinette

Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:57 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed, dear Therese, that's a beautiful and acurate biography ! Unfortunately, they are less gentle to poor Polignac...

Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I will check on that because false info on Wikipedia can be corrected. That is awful how everyone thinks so ill of her.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:43 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

"Marie-Antoinette's bad genius", Jean Chalon wrote... He describes her quietly enjoying exile, while she actually was ill from cancer and sorrow, and he dares even to misquote one of Marie-Antoinette's letters to the duchess !

Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:48 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Disgusting! You should log into their system and correct it. Or tell me just what you want to say and I will have someone who has a Wiki account add it to the entry on Polignac.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:52 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I can certainly link to wikipedia, it is one of my favourite resources too. And yes Pimprenelle, if you believe you see something wrong in an article there it is a very simple matter to create an account and write a correction.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:09 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Merci, Madame la reine Adrienne! Yes, someone should correct such innacuracies because it reflects badly upon our poor much-maligned Antoinette!

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:17 pm
Royalty
Royalty

To go completely off-topic, I think I should change my title to something less ostentatious than la Reine *laughing*
There are so many more regular contributors to the forum now that calling myself the Queen seems very inappropriate! :lol:

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:22 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:26 pm
Royalty
Royalty

And in update both EM Vidal's site and Wikipedia articles in a handful of languages have been added to our links page.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:52 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:25 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Here is the information about Gabrielle de Polignac in Wiki Marie-Antoinette's biography :

Quote:
Not long after meeting Thérèse, Marie Antoinette formed a deep attachment to the beautiful and ambitious aristocrat, Gabrielle, Comtesse de Polignac.

I don't think it's fair to consider Madame de Polignac an ambitious woman. Marie-Antoinette herself thought she would refuse the charge o governess "because she had refused all the charges I proposed close to me". Some of her entourage were ambitious, but she wasn't, in my opinion. On the contrary, she is reported to be indolent, sweet and gracious.

Quote:
Much to the chagrin of many courtiers, Marie Antoinette's favourite the Comtesse de Polignac was made the new princess' Governess.

Indeed ! "Much to the chagrin of many courtiers"... who were jealous to death ! Their jealousy could even be enough to explain this awful reputation Madame de Polignac finally had !

Quote:
Tourzel was a much better choice than Polignac, for she was devoutly religious, discreet, loyal and disciplined.

Isn't it a personal opinion ? In a biography supposed to be objective ?

Would it be possible to correct these... in memoriam of "the most tender of friends" ?

Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:48 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

We'll fix this, dear Pimprenelle. Do you have a specific reference to a book or a quote that exonerates Gabrielle? I know there are many, and I will try to think of something. We will take care of it.....

Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Madame Campan liked her very much, Pierre de Nolhac and Marquis de Segur agree she was very sweet, indolent, but had bad entourage, Girault de Coursac think she was put close to Marie-Antoinette by the king, who was very happy she took care of her, Antonia Fraser says she was the only one who could calm Antoinette down while upset, and that they had a beautiful friendship.

That's what occurs to my mind immediately...

But I most of all refer to the letters written by Marie-Antoinette, who was very confident to her friend. She wrote that, to find peace, she needed the purity of Gabrielle's heart to be acknoledged.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Perfect! We are having our lunch now, but will see that this is taken care of this afternoon.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next