Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 What makes a Rococo society good? 
Noble
Noble

Post What makes a Rococo society good?
I have been trying to make an 18th century society in Texas, where I live. I am finding it difficult to get started, as I do not know anyone who shares my interest of the 18th century. I have decided to start small, and create a student organization at my university, but I would like it to be bigger; where we could have parties, and benefits, and weekend excursions where all the members would come to a destination and we would reenact.
So I am wondering how many of you are in societies? Are they good? And what has made them so good? :)

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: What makes a Rococo society good?
In my town and country, I certainly failed to find anyone interested in the 18th century or any such society - it would be marvelous if i did! But I know that such societies exist in France and what makes them so good is that all members are very genuinely interested in the subject. It is not a large group of people, but those people are prepared to spend money, do things for their interest (their passion) not just admire it from the distance. For example, the group of ladies who like costuming went to the Venetian carnival, brought their costumes, and I am sure they had a great time living the 18th century! You need people who like 18th century so much, willing to participate in these 18th century parties, excursions, willing to actually spend the money for costumes etc. So you must see how many people there are so interested in the 18th century that it is their passion. I think there aren't many such people. But everything starts there, by gathering a group that feels about the 18th century as you do.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:37 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I completely agree with you Marija...there are never any shortcuts to such things.

And any passion requires sacrifice, financial, time, hard work, devotion, single mindedness.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:26 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Yes, I would say time and determination are the key to having your group get off the ground. I would also advise that you start small, but whatever you do, do it well - that will attract others. Good luck!

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:27 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
And any passion requires sacrifice, financial, time, hard work, devotion, single mindedness.

Almost like a relationship.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:07 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Il a la cote, le Baron !

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:16 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Exactly like a relationship, I agree!

Which is no doubt why we have 50% divorce rates nowadays!

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It would be funny if it wasn't tragic. :lol:

Let us know what is your next step in forming the society!

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

And what is most tragic is the next generation of children, 50% of them, issued from broken homes and buffeted between feuding parents...when they reach adulthood what mental scars will they carry? And they will be tougher....at least superficially...

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

No, I didn't want to go deeper in that problematic at all, I just got carried away in some other thoughts of mine.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]