Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Marie Antoinette Costumes 
Post Marie Antoinette Costumes
So I hope this is the place for this, if not I'm very sorry. I was wondering if any one has dressed as MA before? I myself had always wanted to make a MA dress, and I'm currently in the works of making one. It will be Marie Antoinette form the manga/anime The Rose of Versailles. Here are some images of her dress I'm making.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/ ... marie6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/ ... marie2.jpg
It's a bit plain looking so I'm going to fancy it up a bit, and try to make it look more Historically accurate, but at the same time look like hers form the anime. The red will be in a rose brocade, I wanted to do the white in brocade as well. But I was given a bunch of plain white bridal fabric for free, so I think I'll use that up. I got a lovely decorative gold trim. And I'll use some lace for the white on the dress sleeves. So I'll take any suggestions, and would love for people to post or talk about MA costumes they may have worn.

Last edited by Celestine on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:25 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Marie Antoinette Costumes
Oh, I know that dress, I'm a big "Rose of Versailles" fan as well :rainbow:
I'm sure your costume will be great! Are you going to wear it at a party or some other special occasion?
I've never dress like Marie Antoinette but it's one of my dreams, of course! :wink:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:41 pm
I'll be hosting a tea party in it. I run a tea party at an Anime Con I staff at. And thank you, I'm going to work hard to make it look good.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Wow! Sounds great :angel1: I'm sure it will be a very successful party!

Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:20 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

What a pretty derss i will also be looking for a marie antoinette costume my 30th birthday (gulp) is right around the corner in october and im planning a huge ball that is ma themed and i have no idea where i should look for my costume i have thought of buying one at partycity but hey carry sexy short ones and we all know our belovd queen would nerver wear a derss like that i would hate for people who dont know about her to think thats all she was about anybody have any tips for me to make my dress pretty but wont cost an arm and leg?

Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This theme was much discussed by some other members that were interested in coming by XVIII century like dresses. If you want quality, you should have the dress sewn for yourself. It is, I assume, very exepensive. Otherwise, you'll have to settle for a somewhat tacky imitation -but I guess that for a party, it shall suffice.

There is a subject open (XVIII century costume or dresses, something like that) in the "fashion area" of the forum, I'm sure it'll provide you with the required information.

Last edited by Ludy on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:22 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Thanks for the tip i will be sure to disscuss it there

Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I guess you could try taking a low cut full bodied summer fabric dress, or even ball dress, and have it adapted by a seamstress, taking in the waist and adding a "faux cul", the bit that makes the back stick out, to make it ressemble the "robe à l'anglaise" that so epitomizes the late 18th century and which we know MA favoured.

Tap 'robe à l'anglaise' into google to get the pictures.

You may well wish to add a fichu for modesty's sake, depending on how keen you are to show off your cleavage? :) Most women wore one with this dress, which they could discard as was their wont. :wink: Charlotte Corday at her trial for example must have taken it off, because her bosom was much admired by onlookers...Madame Elizabeth at her execution pleaded to keep it on....each to her own!

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:18 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Yeah I would like it off lol but thats just me :dance:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well I must say I think it looks nice off too! :lol:

More 18th century! But thne I'm a man so I'm biased! :)

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:31 am
I wish I had a picture of the one my sister made a few years ago, she actually made a great copy of the dress from "The Slipper and the Rose", but would suit for a Marie-alike costume if you wanted. It was very pretty.
If you never saw the movie, here is a clip of the ball scene at youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rRi5xXVXJs

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]