Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:44 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Horrible Histories/Twitter.... 
Noble
Noble

Post Horrible Histories/Twitter....
Bonsoir!(At least where I am,anyway)

I do not know if anyone has ever watched a particular historical show aimed at 8-14 year age range called Horrible Histories which airs regularly in the UK(where it was filmed!!!!) but they included a few sketches on Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI which portrayed both of them as fun loving but essentially giggling fools.This is my one complaint regarding the show.
Oh,I digress.
ANYWAY,due to the popularity of this show,various historical characters have been used as a sort of role play between many people on twitter and there are also several people ''acting'' as Marie Antoinette. They all portray her in an extremely unflattering light and the whole ''role play'' thing on twitter has just gotten worse. No-one seems to look at the actual historical facts anymore.Reading one conversation between two people on twitter ''acting'' out Marie Antoinette and George I of England,it seems that some members of the social networking site are fully intent on displaying some of our most beloved historical figures in an extremely unflattering light!
You may think that I take all this too seriously and perhaps I do.
Thoughts?? Does anyone abhor all this ''role-playing''?

Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:43 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Horrible Histories/Twitter....
Well, for one thing, you can never fully control the actions of others. People are ignorant about Marie Antoinette and the propaganda that destroyed her is just as potent today. History really is written by the victors.

If you have the chance to correct people, and give them the facts of what sort of person Marie Antoinette really was, then that helps to get the truth out there. At the same time, you will never really reach a lot of people, even when presented with the reality.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Not everybody has to feel favourably about the Queen. Some people have excellent reasons not to like her as a historical figure - and all of these do not boil down to propaganda. There are many things about her that irk me, to say the least, in spite of the fact that I hold her in high esteem.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:10 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Well yes Ludy , but the main reason people dislike Marie Antoinette is for the 'Let Them Eat Cake' comment, etc. which is simply not true. They may actually grow to like her if they were able to judge her on a fair basis, don't you think?

I never suggested that everyone should love her, my initial reply states this. But obviously BelleReverie feels quite strongly about this, so I was suggesting that she could talk about her love of Marie Antoinette but obviously not everyone will feel that way.

I still love Marie Antoinette and I do not think she had more character flaws than the next person. She made some errors in her youth, which are understandable, and the last years of her life more than atone for anything that could make you think less of her.

Just my humble opinion! :)

Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
Well yes Ludy , but the main reason people dislike Marie Antoinette is for the 'Let Them Eat Cake' comment, etc. which is simply not true. They may actually grow to like her if they were able to judge her on a fair basis, don't you think?

Not really, the "Let them eat cake" thing is not that famous in France. I never heard it from anyone criticizing the Queen in this country. But in the UK, maybe so, I don't know.

Last edited by Ludy on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:27 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I would say that in France, the Queen is looked down upon for political reason. If you support the Queen, you are against the Revolution. Simple, logical.

Don't forget that she was guilty of treason -this is mainly what the French reproach her with.

Last edited by Ludy on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:31 am
Royalty
Royalty

Interesting! So what are the reasons behind people disliking her?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:31 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
Interesting! So what are the reasons behind people disliking her?

Apparently, we posted at the same time - see my answer above.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:36 am
Royalty
Royalty

Ignorance about MA is almost as rampant now as it was in her time. It's pretty diffiult for minds to change after 200 years of slander. People today don't take the time to read her story and know the truth - so therefore the slander perpetuates.

I think that the French, now and then, must continue this negative portrayal as a means of justification of what they did to her. The treason Ludy refers to was not known at the time - it was only discovered after her execution and was not the reason she was killed.

What human, knowing the truth and what the Revolutionaries did to the Royal family, especially the children - could not have some sympathy and sense of wrong that was done to them?

Even though the French continue to put down their royalty - they sure make alot of money off them.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:53 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ludy wrote:

Don't forget that she was guilty of treason -this is mainly what the French reproach her with.

I don't know where you get that from Ludy!

Maybe one in 10.000 French people is aware she wrote those incriminating letters to the "émigrés" with plans of the revolutionary army positions and movements!

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

By writing that she was condemned for treason, I did not mean that the French were and are aware of the documents and the evidence at stake -I meant betrayal in a moral sense. As Lilly pointed out, her death sentence was legally baseless. The idea that she was morally guilty of treason was lurking in the accusations that were made against her during her trial. To my mind, this moral treason is the reason why she is so utterly despised even nowadays in France.

Her pro-Austrian stance are really well-known.The flight to Varennes is also extremely well-known and well documented in the popular history to the point that it was much embroidered later on, as you know. It's actually one of the linchpins of the Revolution.

Last edited by Ludy on Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Lilly wrote:
Ignorance about MA is almost as rampant now as it was in her time. It's pretty diffiult for minds to change after 200 years of slander. People today don't take the time to read her story and know the truth - so therefore the slander perpetuates.

I think that the French, now and then, must continue this negative portrayal as a means of justification of what they did to her. The treason Ludy refers to was not known at the time - it was only discovered after her execution and was not the reason she was killed.

What human, knowing the truth and what the Revolutionaries did to the Royal family, especially the children - could not have some sympathy and sense of wrong that was done to them?

Even though the French continue to put down their royalty - they sure make alot of money off them.

I don't think it is quite a fair thing to say. Any nation is grounded of myths and beliefs that do not always dovetail with the truth. Nothing wrong with that.

I do not think a lot of American citizens are willing to cast a blight on President Jackson's presidency because of his terrible crackdown on the Native peoples, or on America's contribution to the WWII because of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The French are not willing to pay tribute to the Queen because it tarnishes the image of the Revolution.

I do not see anything wrong with that. Nations need myths, and myths are apt to be manichean.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, and Lilly, reading the arraignement, you will find that she was condemned for treason, in spite of the lack of evidence (or absence of thereof) to back up this claim.

Those were the days when one could be condemend without substantial evidence. Now crime scenes are combed through, DNA evidence are endlessly questioned, so that criminals can get off scot-free. :lol:

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You mean like "Foxy Knoxy" :lol: ?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Absolutely not !

Attachments:
amanda knox grin.jpg
amanda knox grin.jpg [ 64.76 KiB | Viewed 4267 times ]

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:17 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next