Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lets Pretend We have a Time Machine for 24 hours 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Lets Pretend We have a Time Machine for 24 hours
Before we start our journey get all innoculations against things like smallpox. Take a gas mask against the stink of Paris in the 1700's and lets get started. We can go anywhere we like at a moments notice. So my first stop would be the wedding of the Dauphin and Marie Antoinette. I would also like to see the Temple Prison to see exactly how they were treated and see the rooms occupied by Their Majesties and family.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:10 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Lets Pretend We have a Time Machine for 24 hours
I'd go to Versailles - to the Court of Louis XIV - in his prime. Like you said, probably smelly and dirty but the time machine is only for 24 hours!

Eleanor of Aquitaine is another whom I'd visit.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:33 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

What about the naughty Queen Marguerite de Valois. Daughter of Catherine de Medici. She was quite a lady and I have an old book with her memoires. Lets extend the 24 hours to a week.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:16 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree, I'd definitly go for the Valois court !

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:12 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She was quite a girl...and what a wedding night!!))

I have read her mémoires in mediaeval French, they make for good reading and it amused me how she covers up her numerous frasques under a semi pious literary veil!)

I have a wonderful copy of an engraving of her as a little girl in my entrance hall. She is covered in jewelry with pearl braided hair. It is painted by the brillant French artist Clouet, who also painted another favourite of mine, Mary Stuart, veiled in white mourning for her young French husband and King, François II. You can see it at the Wallace Collection in London.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:44 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

But by far my favourite Valois is the Comtesse de Lamotte!! :lol:

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:45 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:

It seems you like criminals that get away with it. Some excellent books are on print right now in the US, I am sure you will come by them as soon as possible.

Jean and François Clouet are amongst my favourite artists ever. Along with Corneille de Lyon, who painted very nice portraits of the young Catherine de Medicis.

I would have liked to spend some time at François I's court, at the very end of his reign, between Diane de Poitiers and Anne de Pisseleu : "la plus belle parmi les instruites, et la plus instruite parmi les belles" She's another favorite I look up to. Extremely beautiful indeed.

Attachments:
Anne_de_Pisseleu_dHeilly.jpg
Anne_de_Pisseleu_dHeilly.jpg [ 76.86 KiB | Viewed 5157 times ]

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:14 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
She was quite a girl...and what a wedding night!!))

I have read her mémoires in mediaeval French, they make for good reading and it amused me how she covers up her numerous frasques under a semi pious literary veil!)

I must definitely read them, although according to Bordonove, she wrote in a very uneasy and sometimes boring style. What about her frasques ? When she grew older, I know she used to have gigolos, but in her youth, I don't think she had that many lovers. And especially that love affair with Guise before the got married is sheer fantasy. She indeed loved men, and wrote a very nice naughtly text about her lovemaking. I think the truth was much streched later on -the same goes for Catherine the Great by the way, who only had 21 official lovers, which disappointed me.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:26 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well 21 is not bad! :lol:

For a not particularly attractive German princess. :)

When I spoke of Marguerite's frasques I didn't mean purely sexual...

Your Anne de Pisseleu (unfortunate name... looks a bit like Elizabeth 1 I find! Though prettier admittedly. I'd like to find about more about her. Because "belle ET instruite", that's not always easy to find!!))

Diane de Poitiers was quite a lass too. She taught Henri II all she knew in bed and that was apparently quite a lot, as she was always in great shape, a kind of Renaissance aerobics fan! She had to make up for nearly 20 years in age gap...against her!

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think she looks very beautiful and don't deny it, because I was once told I look like her (though I do not believe it) :evil: . She was renowned for her beauty anyway, Françoise de Châteaubriand wrote an infamous poem comparing blond haired to dark haired women, as Anne de Pisseleu was indeed fair haired. She was very influential, but grew somewhat arrogant, and comparisons with Diane de Poitiers, who strove to look modest and submissive, were not in Anne's favour. She was completly forgotten to the point that one doesn't even know when she died, exactly.

Diane de Poitiers only had two men in her life, and used to be very prudish before she became Henri's mistress -a bit like la Montespan. I doubt she taught Henri anything, though there is no denying that their passion was very sensual.

Last edited by Ludy on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:52 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

But then she flourished and opened up like a flower in the sun! :)

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:10 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Ludy wrote:
baron de batz wrote:

It seems you like criminals that get away with it. Some excellent books are on print right now in the US, I am sure you will come by them as soon as possible.

Jean and François Clouet are amongst my favourite artists ever. Along with Corneille de Lyon, who painted very nice portraits of the young Catherine de Medicis.

I would have liked to spend some time at François I's court, at the very end of his reign, between Diane de Poitiers and Anne de Pisseleu : "la plus belle parmi les instruites, et la plus instruite parmi les belles" She's another favorite I look up to. Extremely beautiful indeed.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Where's your post Maggie?

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:38 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

baron de batz wrote:
Where's your post Maggie?

Sorry Baron I have forgotten what it was but it was important. I will have a good think to remember what it was I forgot to post.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:16 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:lol:

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next