Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Diane de Poitiers.......Mistress of King Henry II 
Noble
Noble

Post Re: Diane de Poitiers.......Mistress of King Henry II
Hello! I don't usually subscribe to blogs, but mine is the one you mentioned, http://diane-de-poitiers.blogspot.com, so naturally I'd love to get in on these discussions of Diane.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:06 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I think it is also a natural assumption that Diane de Poitiers was ruthless to some degree. It would take some character to withstand openly flaunting an affair in front of your lover's wife - knowing how much that wife hates you. Also, it's said that Diane's counsel was of primary importance to Henry II....therefore I'm led to believe that she was in agreement with the King on his treatment of Protestants in France.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:11 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Greetings from the forum ShariBeck.....please do join us! Your input on this discussion is most welcome!

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:15 pm
Noble
Noble

Lily, you are correct, Diane did have a riding accident in 1565, the year before she died. When her remains were exhumed, the leg bone clearly showed a healed fracture. No doubt it weakened her further, considering the ill effects of the gold poisoning. And we who admire Diane seem to forget the fact that she was VERY ruthless.

Baron de Batz, tthey did indeed find mercury in Diane’s body. It was one of the ingredients in the gold elixir she drank regularly. I was fortunate in the timing of my book. Had I published it a year earlier, as was my original intention, none of that information would have been available to me.

And, yes, Catherine made the DH emblem into CH. There was no need to do so at the tomb in Saint Denis, though, because it was Catherine who commissioned that tomb.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:27 pm
Noble
Noble

Diane was not only in agreement with the persecution of the Protestants, but at times she encouraged Henri to be MORE strict. By her religious stance, Diane was praised by Rome. This was necessary for her survival. If the Pope demanded that Henri give up his mistress, Henri would have no choice but to comply.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

sharibeck wrote:
Diane was not only in agreement with the persecution of the Protestants, but at times she encouraged Henri to be MORE strict. By her religious stance, Diane was praised by Rome. This was necessary for her survival. If the Pope demanded that Henri give up his mistress, Henri would have no choice but to comply.

I read the Pope went so far as to writing to her, calling her "my dear daughter" ...

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Welcome to the forum Sharibeck ! Your blog is absolutely enthralling.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:37 pm
Noble
Noble

That is true. The Pope also arranged a marriage between his nephew and Diane de France. The jury is still out on whether Diane de Poitiers was her mother.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:39 pm
Noble
Noble

Oooops, timing! I was replying to the post about the Pope.

I'm glad you enjoy the blog. It's still new, so there will be many interesting topics to discover. Some will be to expand on my web site, others will be timely.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:40 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I can't remember if Diane had anything to do with the choice of Mary Stuart as the future Queen on France. Which was ironic, given that Henri II on this occasion had a well-known affair with Lady Fleming...

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:57 pm
Noble
Noble

Mary was six days old when her father died in 1542. Both of her parents were well-known by Diane and Henri. James V of Scotland had been briefly married to Henri’s sister, Madeleine, and her mother, Marie de Guise was related to Diane through marriage.

In the midst of the Catholic-Protestant conflict, France recognized Mary as the rightful heir to the British throne. Henri decided that Mary should marry his eldest son, and she came to France in 1548, to be raised with his own children. Diane was the head of the royal nursery, and Mary was extremely fond of her.

The marriage took place in 1558. I imagine Diane was very much a part of Henri’s decision, although she did come to have doubts before the wedding took place.

And yes! That incident with Janet Fleming! That is one of the reasons I believe Diane de France to be Henri’s daughter with Diane.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:22 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you very much for your explainations !

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:43 pm
Noble
Noble

My pleasure! I could never tire of talking about Diane!

It's so fitting that there should be a discussion of Diane on a Marie Antoinette site. Louis XVI was a descendant of Diane de Poitiers and Louis de Breze.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Welcome to the forum! You are a breath of fresh air! :)

Yes we all love discussing the beguiling Diane de Poitiers! Even though we have a lot to learn about her from you, at least I do!

My interest in the favourite led me to visit her Château d'Anet last year. What is left of this beautiful Renaissance Château is certainly pleasing to the eye and it has a somewhat feminine touch. There is an extraordinary chapel with an italienate spiralling ceiling, and Mary Stuart attended mass there once. Likewise I saw the entrance to her well, where she would have fresh spring water drawn, and of course her burial chapel, with the tomb that was spoliated at the revolution. The story of how some of her mortal remains were found in a shallow grave by the wall of the local church is quite extraordinary! Of course for the looting populace she was no more than a King's whore. They had that ability to reduce all things to their most basic expression! I didn't know of Louis XVI's blood link to the favourite, I just knew of his German blood.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Is it true that she was almost a sportswoman, going so far as to practice something akin to daily jogging or at least very fast walking?

I know that Mary Stuart was very sporty and impressed her male hunting companions with her endurance in the saddle! (No secondary meaning intended! :lol: )

Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next