Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 If you were Marie Antoinette... 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post If you were Marie Antoinette...
Well, the question just popped into my head today so I figured I'd present it to the forum. If tomorrow you woke up as Marie Antoinette and were being shuttled over to France to wed the dauphin, how would you handle your coming life? Heck, let's even give you an edge: you are armed with the hindsight of the knowledge you've gleaned today. You know a revolution is coming. Do you think there is any opportunity you can snatch to save your throne? How exactly are you going to handle yourself?

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: If you were Marie Antoinette...
I would have sided with my husband from the beginning onwards, and I would have stonewalled my Autrian family when it came to political matters. I would have also strove to steer clear of politics, and maintain good relations with my husband's ministers, especially Turgot, who was really promising and could have averted the Revolution, had his policy been thouroughly implemented.

I would also have honed my public image by publicizing my charity actions, instead of publicizing my fashion sense.

In fact I would have behaved the way most of the Queens used to behave. The thing is that those queens fail to trigger the same passion and interest as Marie-Antoinette.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marie Antoinette did indulge in some charity work. What about when she showed her children all the Xmas presents and said that they were destined for the poor childtren of Versailles? (Which I found a bit tough)

I agree that she would have had to change a lot in her behaviour at the start, but can one have a strategy when one is fourteen years old, alone in a foreign court and at the mercy of such as the old aunts? It is a lot to ask! Most of her mistakes were made in her youth. As far as I know no reigning Queen had to face such a time as this in France.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:24 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree that she did but she did not make songs and dances about it, as a good Christian is not supposed to publicize his/her charities. But I think she should have done so all the same for political reasons.

And I do think she was far less charitable that Marie-Teresia of Spain and Maria Leczinska for instance. Personnally I was deeply shocked that she resorted to cadging money off her gambling partners for instance. Maria-Teresia of Spain also had a serious gambling addiction but she never did that, and she was given far less money that Marie-Antoinette.

MA's charities were pittances compared to her spending. Mercy had to insist to get it accross to her that she had to devote a bit of money to the poor. And the Gospels make it clear that you are supposed to give on the essential and not on what is already superfluous.

But I do not mean to judge her in any way, as it takes fortitude to be a good Christian.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:28 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ludy wrote:

But I do not mean to judge her in any way, as it takes fortitude to be a good Christian.

But you just did and very harshly! :lol:

However I tend to agree with you, MA was more interested in spending on herself than on others at that time. After she realizes how dissipated her behaviour was but maybe too late. The Girault de Corsac make a fairly good analysis of just how badly she managed her finances. She was no Radegonde....

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

No, I do not think I am any better seeing as I do not give much to the poor currently.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:17 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

In that case I do think you should be more the recipient than the giver and should certainly not have a bad conscience...there are very many poor students who receive less than those who know how to use the system.

I pay a huge amount in tax and in alimony and other contributions. For me the state should use some of that. And eke out all the frauders, who are the leeches of society and deprive those who really need the money.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:22 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

My post now makes no sense! :(

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:23 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
In that case I do think you should be more the recipient than the giver and should certainly not have a bad conscience...there are very many poor students who receive less than those who know how to use the system.

I pay a huge amount in tax and in alimony and other contributions. For me the state should use some of that. And eke out all the frauders, who are the leeches of society and deprive those who really need the money.

In fact it has been proven that the more generous the State is, the less generous are the inhabitants. For instance, France has a generous welfare state by comparison with the US, England etc. but the French are less generous than the British, Americans... The cause is that people here have the not totally unfounded impression that they give already a lot of money for social purposes through the huge taxes they pay, so they are unwilling to give even more. I can understand this point of view, because there are already a lot of social institutions in France by comparison with other countries. But this is hardly what we would call charity from a christian point of view.

Last edited by Ludy on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:26 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
My post now makes no sense! :(

Now it sounds very intriguing, as one may wonder what you are talking about.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:27 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I admit that I don't give to charity as I feel that I give so much to the State and so many pay jno taxes at all! However I would like to give some of my time to old people or sick children....that is worth so much more in some ways.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:39 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
I admit that I don't give to charity as I feel that I give so much to the State and so many pay jno taxes at all! However I would like to give some of my time to old people or sick children....that is worth so much more in some ways.

Obviously, charity does not boil down to money.

I think that, in fact, we all have people around us we should be more caring with. And charity should start from that.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

In general, I give a lot to charity and always think about what I would do if I had more money, how would I help. But I mostly help animals, and people who help them even though I always give some money to the beggars. In the same time I can be very tight fisted when it comes to people I think don't deserve it and some social matters (Like poor people we have here, one or no salary and many children, would give them contraception instead of money). If I was M.A. I would definitely give more and think about smart systems of helping, like Catharine the Great did, creating the institutions to help abandoned children, help people with venereal diseases etc. I would definitely think more about my role in this world and the opinion people had of me, instead of isolating myself from the reality and indulging my stupid pleasures...

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:58 am
Peasant
Peasant

I honestly don't think there was much i could do to change the outcome but I would have tried to make my charity work more public so the people saw the real me and not the person who was depicted in the pamphlets. I also would have tried convincing Loius to flee with me and the children. If he didn't listen I probably would have gone without him and then maybe when he was imprisioned I could have sent him aid. I don't think I could have stopped the revolution though, the people were hungry and nothing the government could do would be sufficient.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:34 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

What I admire about Marie-Antoinette is precisely the fact that she stood up by her husband and did not let him down, in spite of the fact that I never found him very responsible or supportive towards him.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next