Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 New Member -Ronbo 
Peasant
Peasant

Post New Member -Ronbo
Hello Everyone - I am new here and wanted to say hello. I must admit to recently reading about the full history behind Marie Antoinette and the tragic ending to her life. And now I can't get enough in learning about her!! I have seen two films about her the 1930's one and the recent one by Sophia Coppola. Agreed both are lacking in many respects of pure history, but without embellishment films would not survive no? I am really interested in first hand historical readings of the people who actually knew her. Also I am interested in the type of music/opera she would have enjoyed. I know Gluck was a major influence. Anyway Thank you for this forum and I am very happy to have joined :). Cheers -Ronbo

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:08 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: New Member -Ronbo
Bienvenue Ronbo!

Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:29 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hello Ronbo, and welcome to the forum ! I hope you'll enjoy your time here !

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:39 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Welcome to the forum!

Most of the first hand readings are in French, and I don't know if any have been translated. My American and Anglo Saxon colleagues here would know better than I what is available in Englsih on the Quueen, as apart from Fraser and Nesta Webster and one or two others, all I have ever read on the Queen was in French; But maybe you read French, that is I do not wish to presume you don't....?

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:55 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Joan Haslip's is my favourite bio in English, I consider it as almost as good as Bertière's, which is the best compliment I can possibly pay to an historian. Haslip is balanced, sometimes scathing, and does not gloss over the Queen's shortcomings the way Fraser does. Fraser has a more simplistic approach, and there is no wonder her bio inspired Coppola. It is a good biography, but not among the best, in my book.

Webster is a good read, but I would not say it is a biography, in the sense that it is not linear, but mostly debunks some of the myths regarding the Queen. For instance, she devotes a least three chapters to Fersen ... only to explain how insignificant he really was !

I do not think that speaking only English is an impediment. If anything, the USA are the world center for historical studies and social sciences by and large, so there is plenty of literature available in this language. The writing style is somewhat different than the French one, though I like both of them equally.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:31 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes but I think that you would agree that if you want to get to the source, the contemporary writings, they are almost all in French!

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:55 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Certainly. But more often than not, I don't feel the need to read primary sources - the most relevant exerpts are compiled in the various biographies. But this is only my point of view.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]