Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Louis XVI's faults 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Louis XVI's faults
But then which French Queen since Catherine de Medicis was involved in politics? Mistresses yes...but not Queens.

Louis XVI was just following the trend and also his wife represented for him in a sense foreign interests, those of a new found ally but traditional adversary. He was all too aware of the pressures MA received from Vienna, so the less she got involved the better for him.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:32 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:help: .

Last edited by Ludy on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:45 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ludy wrote:

Well Catherine de Medicis was involved only as a regente, and not more so than Marie de Medicis and Anna of Austria will later be ... and I think Maria Leczinska was involved in her own special way too, by supporting the conservatives.

Which was precisely my point, as Queens they did not get much involved. As for Marie de Medicis, you saw where her meddling got her!)) Into captivity!

I've never really heard of anything but complete passivity..and pregnancy from Marie Leczinska.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:12 pm
Peasant
Peasant

I agree that he was too kind to his people. I always wondered what would have happened if he had ordered the guards to fight the women at the palace that night. I just don't think he was interested in being king, it's a shame he was forced into being king though, he would have been so much happier if he could have been a lock smith. He like Marie was just at the wrong place in the wrong time.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:29 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Maria antonia wrote:

he would have been so much happier if he could have been a locksmith

There is some simple truth in that....

Though remember his talents went well beyond locks...he was capable of making intricate time pieces and mechanical parts. His scientific and geographical knowledge was quite exceptional, and in short he was something of a genius. He read English, Spanish, Latin, German, Italian and had translators for Slavic languages and Chinese. His education was so extraordinary that today we would not believe it, and he would be called too gifted! By the age of eight or nine, these Royal children descendants of Louis XIV, were already capable of quite amazing academic prowesses, and their education was unique and in some ways illicit, as they had secret access to texts banned by the Church about new ideas and new discoveries at odds with ecclesiastical thinking.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:44 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:angel9:

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:12 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ludy wrote:

In the lampoons, the mockery around this activity was also entwined with sexual hints.

Maybe the key was simply too big for the lock....? :wink:

I have seen some work done by Louis XVI, an ornate clock, it is very fine. I don't remember that quote from Petitfils. Could you possibly quote it? :)

It is however untrue that this was a mere passing hobby, he did spend enough time in that workshop for it to be noticed at Court, if nothing else by his wife, as attests the famous Venus and Mars quote!

Louis XVI admiittedly also had many other fascinating occupations, he was a very talented cartographer.

I cannot recommend strongly enough the guided conference visit of his workshops at Versailles to learn the full extent of his knowledge and the depth of that late 18th century Royal education. It is for us in the 21st century quite astounding and makes us feel very humble!

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Honestly, I am a student, and I hardly own any book on the subject -I borrow them. So I'd really appreciate if you didn't resort to requiring some quotes. It is especially ludicrous when you know perfectly you own a given book and I do not ! Thanks by advance ! :)
So given that you own the book and I do not, I expect you to do the dirty job for me. :lol:

The mockery he provoked were more due to the fact that such a hobby jarred with the court's way of life, about his wife's tastes -Bertière points out that she found such hobbies inadequate for an aristocrat, and that it shocked her.

I have the feeling, without much evidence, that he practiced such hobbies to single out from the court's way of life which he deemed superficial, and not only out of personal taste. In the same way that George W. Bush sported cow-boy boots and hats back when he was studying at Yale -though he was born in Massachussets. :lol:

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:31 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I will look up the quote, but if you are mistaken then I will take it that you confidently assert what seem certain facts out of pure bluff and bravoure! :lol:

Kind of...."Its all in the delivery, just seem confident of what you write!" :lol:

As for Lousi XVI I disagree that he indulged in these pastimes out of anything else than pure interest, no doubt accentuated by his lack of interest for other courtly pastimes, such as sex and womanizing!! :lol:

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:29 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:wave:

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ludy you took that completely wrong, it was pure irony and not at all meant as a criticism. But I do apologize if it sounded that way.... :(

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:51 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

No I interpreted it right and perfectly took the hint. This hint at my arrogance and my excessive self-confidence was repeated over and over in your posts, and you even said it to me in person more than once. But I did expect you to deny it, like when you said that you did not mean to provoke me by asserting that there was no lynching in England or that the French are savages. That is pathetic and despicable. I am extremely proud to be someone that is always "droit dans ses bottes", not afraid to speak his/her mind, and that doesn't cloak his/her thoughts in hypocrisy, cowardly denials and ludicrous fibs. I won't react to your provocations any longer, nor will I answer your posts by and large and that will be just fine by me.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:12 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Wow!

Well I am absolutely sincere that I didn't mean it nastily as the laughing smiley at the end shows!

But really you can take it as you like....

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:51 am
Royalty
Royalty

quote]
Ludy wrote:
The forum would be unbearable if everybody asked for quotes to justify everything all the time

The asking of sources is completely reasonable and is not intended to offend anyone. The fact of the matter is, anything can be said.....but just saying it does not make it true. Many times, I personally have remembered something that I read somewhere - only to go back and look up the source, to find that my rememberence was a little different than what was actually written. There have been instances where I too have asked a member to source their information, because, I have never heard what they are claiming or suspect that they are intrepreting something in a different way than I had intrepreted it. Please don't take it personally.

[quote="Ludy"]In the same way that George W. Bush sported cow-boy boots and hats back when he was studying at Yale -though he was born in Massachussets.[/

I think you may be confusing Father and Son. George H.W. Bush(Father) was born in Massachussets. George W. Bush (Son) was born in Connecticut. The Bush children were raised in Texas and George W. was in fact a bona fide Texan when he attended Yale. Texans are very proud of their State, you might remember Lyndon B. Johnson, another American President, sported Cowboy hats too.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:28 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:angry8:

Last edited by Ludy on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next