Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Polignac? 
Peasant
Peasant

Post Polignac?
I was just wondering what she was really like. I admit know very little about her but it seems like many people dislike her and feel that she abandon MA during the revolution. I was surrised this morning to read that she was a quite and modest woman since she was portrayed as a slutty party girl in Coppola's movie, which I understand wasn't very accurate but I wanted to know if there was any truth to that.
:angel4: thanks

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:07 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Polignac?
She was far from being a party girl, that is why Louis XVI liked her so much. She was more of the calm type. The public hatred stemmed more from the constant support she displayed towards her closed ones, by cadging money and promotions off the Queen, who hardly dared to refuse anything to her dear friend...

She did not abandon the Queen in my book, seeing as the latter urged her to leave the country.

Last edited by Ludy on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:18 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The Duchess of Polignac was indeed a relatively self effacing woman. It seems that it was more the Queen that 'picked her up' than the opposite!However she did cause the Queen a lot of harm through her family clan, which rose to riches through the favours given to the favourite. Whether Yolande was guilty of this is hard to tell: she should I believe have noticed that the hold she had on the Royal couple (for it seems that the King could refuse her nothing either) was such that she could have all she wanted. And in such troubled times the favours heaped on this family could only lead to jealousy and unrest and public discontent. The Queen goes through a period of estrangement with the favourite, but then seems to be reconciled with her upon the latter's departure for Vienna. Her subsequent letters to her seem to indicate that there is still a stong bond between them. I think that we'll never know the whole truth about the nature of this relationship, and its just too simplistic and tempting to talk of them being more than just close friends.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:52 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I know so little about the Duchess of Polignac, does anyone know of any books I could read that would give me more insight into her?

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:52 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You can contact by private mail "Madame de Sabran" on the French site "Boudoir de Marie Antoinette". Her real name is Natalie de Colas-Franc and she has written a biography on the Duchesse de Polignac. You can say that you are on this forum and mention my name...Baron de Batz. :) as that is my pseudo on that forum too. I know of no biographies of her in English.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:35 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Thank you, Baron; I just may do that! I am desperate to know more about her. It's a shame there is no biography about her in English. I don't think the Princess de Lamballe has any books written about her at all, at least I don't know of any. She's someone else I am very interested in.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:22 am
Royalty
Royalty

Have you read the Memoirs of the Princesse de Lamballe? They are slightly apocryphal, put together by Katherine Hyde.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:17 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I haven't gotten the chance to read the Memories yet, but I definitely plan on it. I have it on my Wish List at Amazon.com; but I think I'll go ahead and see if I can order the book through my local library instead.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Is there such a thing Fleur as "slightly apocryphal"? :wink:

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:36 am
Royalty
Royalty

:lol:

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]