Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Tidying up 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Tidying up
Adrienne,

Looking through the forum, I really think you should delete a considerable number of members who haven't posted for years and reduce the total membership to 50 or so.

Furthermore why not re-introduce the league table of those who have posted most overall and most often on any particular day as on the French forum, and make it clearly visible on the board index. This motivates people a bit I think.

Maybe if you're deriving profits from advertising, you could bring in incentives for those making a valuable contribution hereon..just a thought.

The forum needs some life breathing into it and a bit of a Spring clean I feel. :)

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Tidying up
The other thing I wanted to ask you Adrienne is why you never ever post anything here? Does Marie Antoinette not interest you? Then why create a forum about her? :|

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
Then why create a forum about her? :|

So that two retards may quibble over whether or not the Queen was beautiful and how big were her boobs.

Sigh.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:38 pm
Royalty
Royalty

baron de batz wrote:
Looking through the forum, I really think you should delete a considerable number of members who haven't posted for years and reduce the total membership to 50 or so.

There are alot of non-contributing members. Perhaps we could start with the ones who have never posted anything at all. I can start this process....are there any objections from anyone? Adrienne...Delicate Fleur?

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:31 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Lilly wrote:
baron de batz wrote:

There are alot of non-contributing members. Perhaps we could start with the ones who have never posted anything at all. I can start this process....are there any objections from anyone? Adrienne...Delicate Fleur?

I know you did not ask for my input, but still.

I fail to see how deleting incative members will help to improve the quality of this forum, or better, restore the quality of this forum. By definition, inactive members are inactive, they do not bother anyone.

There used to be very knowledgeable members back then, such as Thérèse, whom I am sure we all miss. She was extremely well-read and brought a lot to the forum thanks to her amazing knowledge, in spite of her staunch stances on a few themes, which may have ruffled the feathers of other members.

They left the forum leaving it with only a few active members, whence the poor quality of the discussions we are having right now. As far as I know, members such as Thérèse did not leave the forum because of the inactive members but because of a lack of challenging discussions that matched their level of knowledge, amongst other things. These problems stemmed from us, the active members, not from the inactive ones. And it is up to us to wonder how we may have been responsible for that and how to avoid that in the future. Without meaning to stir up trouble here, I would agree with what stated above : how can we possibly point the finger at the inactive members, when a lot of us, the so-called "active members" and notably the person that is in charge of this forum hardly ever post anyting regularly ?

We should do our utmost to prevent our top members from leaving the forum, as well as to entice new members that are genuinely interested in the XVIII century -this has nothing to do with deleting inactive members. After all the so called inactive members may well have left or renounced contributing because of the sluggishness of the forum, and, if there are some new enthralling discussions, they may well want to chime in, be it six months after they registered or a year after their latest contribution to the forum. They should definitely have the possibility to do that.

Recently, we had a very great member, Vive, who also quit contributing to the forum. I am sure he felt discouraged the slow pace of this forum - let us hope he will come back and let us not prevent that from happening.

I am not blaming anybody, seeing as there is not denying that Délicate Fleur and yourself have bent over backwards to attract new fellow members.

I am not sure the step you are now suggesting we take goes in the right direction. Instead of clamping down on inactive members, let us try and figure out why so many people became inactive in the first place. We'd better think about our own contributions and how to improve them.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:24 am
Royalty
Royalty

Thanks for your input Ludy.
Baron only suggested this as a "tidy up" - of course, this has nothing to do improving the quality of the forum - just a cleaning up.

By the time I joined this forum, all the old members who had been major contributors, with the exception of a handful, were already gone. It is true, that a few more have dropped off, due to whatever reasons. Many new contributors seem to stay for a few weeks and drop off too. There are alot of members who joined the forum, say a year or more ago - and have never even posted once. I don't see the harm in cleaning them out, as it is doubtful that they will ever become active here.
The fact is, people are either interested or not - alot of people just move on after they satisfy their initial curiousity. It also does not help when existing members talk down to new members - for example, a while ago, I saw a newbie berated for their choice of an avatar. Needless to say, they never came back.

I would hope that with the release of the new movie, we may see a rash of new members who would like to know more about MA.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:30 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I know I am extremely new here, but I already like this forum quite a bit. I love interacting with those who are enthusiastic about Marie Antoinette and are knowledgeable in many different branches of history in general. I would love to see this forum thrive and see more new members who post frequently and contribute.

Perhaps the reason why people join and then never post is because they see the slow pace of the forum and think, "Why bother?", and that their attempt to become involved in a forum with so little activity will not amount to anything. So those who do post regularly could perhaps lighten the place up with several new topics of conversation and allow the new members plenty to grasp on to.

Part of the reason why new members rarely post could be due to intimidation as well. When I first joined I was pretty nervous; I figured I would know so little compared to everyone else - especially since I have only studied the 18th century for two years - and that I would make a fool of myself. I know now that this place is pretty friendly and that my fears were silly. But we should do all we can to make new members welcome and comfortable, no matter how vast or lacking their knowledge of Marie or history...allow them to learn and grow here.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:27 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Woodland Nymph wrote:
Part of the reason why new members rarely post could be due to intimidation as well. When I first joined I was pretty nervous; I figured I would know so little compared to everyone else - especially since I have only studied the 18th century for two years - and that I would make a fool of myself. I know now that this place is pretty friendly and that my fears were silly. But we should do all we can to make new members welcome and comfortable, no matter how vast or lacking their knowledge of Marie or history...allow them to learn and grow here.

Thank you for your response Woodland Nymph, I really hoped a new member would speak up! I have suspected what you've said about new members feeling intimidated as a reason that they were not posting, and have even discussed this with another Administrator. I love the idea that this forum is a place where people can learn the truth about Marie Antoinette. One by one, we can then help to dispell the wild myths about this unfortunate woman and Queen. We are happy for all new contributing members!

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:45 am
Royalty
Royalty

Baron, Ludy and Woodland Nymph, your input is valued. In the end Adrienne, Lilly and I will make administrative decisions that we feel will best benefit our members. Thank you for your thoughts!

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Personally I don't like the title "Marie Antoinette Online";

Maybe we could all suggest an alternative name for the site? More catchy.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:15 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I guess we are trying to convey the intent of the site - to educate and inform people of the real Marie Antoinette. Will think more on it. Keep in mind, though, that Adrienne might be perfectly happy with MAO, but you never know! :angel5:

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:12 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well an Internet site is really no more than just the sum of its' members after all....without them and their satisfaction it is like a football match without spectators.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:38 am
Royalty
Royalty

Of course I believe Adrienne needs to make herself more visible to her members.

To be honest I am struggling to know how we are going to regenerate to the glory of the the 2007-2009 days. We really need to do some soul searching. I really miss the old days.

We happened to attract knowledgable members such as Therese, Pimprenelle, Arietta, John Cheval etc. but they left for various reasons. I think as an original member, you've had better reasons than them to leave. But we do not seem to be attracting members of a similar calibre any more. Even with a presence on Facebook and presumably a high Google search ranking. We have tried to create new topics and keep discussion fresh but so many people visit, contribute for a few weeks and then leave. What made people like yourself and Therese stay?

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I guess a very unfulfilled boring life..... :lol:

No I love MA so I stick around...and even though I'm on the French forum I do prefer writing in my mother tongue I guess, even though the intellectual stimulation here is not the same as on that forum.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:52 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The French forum is indeed very good, the level of knowledge is daunting however. I have other interests than Marie-Antoinette, things that in fact I am even more keen to cultivate. Marie-Antoinette after all was but an individual, and I like to talk about broader issues and other, totally unrelated subjects. So I'll never reach such a level of knowledge -I won't even try. That is why I gave up posting on the French forum.

In every forum, there is a climax followed by a wane, I am not sure this one will pick up anytime soon. There was also was an upsurge of interest following Coppola's film, and it is unlikely that Farewell My Queen will reach such a large audience overseas.

Too often, discussions here boil down to a debate between Baron de Batz and myself, seeing as we are the only very regular contributors here and that is tiresome for me, and I beleive for him too. We can't possibly go on keeping the fort alone on here.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next