Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 New film adaptation of Thomas' 'Adieux, à la Reine' 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: New film adaptation of Thomas' 'Adieux, à la Reine'
The movie poster for Les Adieux à la Reine has been released!

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This film comes out next wednesday in Paris.

Apparently it seems to hint that relations between la Polignac and the Queen were pretty ''close'....I guess the Queen may have been a bit in love with her. I think the Queen was the sort of woman that needed close female friendship, almost to the point of getting a crush on a girl,, without being "that way inclined".

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:07 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It seems this film concentrates on ambiguous relations between the Queen and her favourite.

Even the poster splashed all over Paris has them almost kissing...

it is highly ironic that this film should be based (freely) on the novel 'Adieux à la Reine' by Chantal Thomas, the very author who wrote of the "lesbian plot" instigated against MA in her book "la reine scélérate".

There is a preview and discussion in the presence of the director at my local cinema on saturday; I think I may go armed with some probing questions! :)

The Queen has not heard the last of slander....it will always pursue her.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:08 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I enjoyed the film very, very much - I am still very much moved right now.

First of all, the actors were outstanding : very well trained French actors such as Léa Seydoux : a fresh-faced beauty, widely popular in the French cinema right now. It reconciled me with Virginie Ledoyen, who was stunning enough as "Gabrielle" de Polignac, although Polignac was definitely presented as a villain in the film. I will not blame Ledoyen for that, seeing as she merely complied with the director's ideas. I really enjoyed her strutting throughout the film, as well as her perfectly regular beauty. I used to find her somewhat plain, I now think she is utterly gorgeous. I am not sure the portrayal of Polignac is fair and accurate, but this is after all but a fiction : it was at least a portrayal I enjoyed very much and which conveyed the inner charm of "Gabrielle" de Polignac was endowed with. There is at the end of the film (spoiler) a moment when Sidonie sports Polignac's green dress, and she all of a sudden sarts strutting in the same self-assured way, which is so glamourous and arrogant at the same time. You understand how Polignac was such a riveting figure that was either whorshipped or loathed. Viriginie Ledoyen's perfomance at least stressed her independence of spirit, which was at the root of the spell she cast on the Queen.

The relationship with Marie-Antoinette is obviously tinged with lesbian hints. I have always thought that Marie-Antoinette was in love with Madame de Polignac, although she never was a lesbian. I can perfectly understand the attraction a woman may feel for another woman and her good looks, and how you can truly love somebody whatever their gender.

Diane Kruger was the most amazing Marie-Antoinette I have ever seen on screen, but, granted, I have not seen a lot of them. At any rate, she beat Ute Lemper by a landslide.

Everything was there : her arrogance, and yet, somehow genuine generosity, this peculiar blend of superficiality and astuteness, her constant lack of concentration, mind and mood changing : she pays attention to her reader (Léa Seydoux), and within a second she is engrossed in something totally different (fashion, her new dress). The subtelity of her personnality was emphasized. I hate the over-simplifications that are usually made : Dunst was too girlie, Lemper too meek...

The film focuses on the peculiar relationship with her reader, Sidonie (Seydoux), who grows besotted with Marie-Antoinette. This is understandable : the attraction Marie-Antoinette exerted over her surrounding was so riveting and was often reported in many Mémoires. Kruger converyed that perfectly. Sidonie is oblivious to Marie-Antoinette's shortcomings, to the point of accepting the sacrifice the latter eventually demands.

The costumes were not half as bad as I feared. Apart from a few laughable whigs, they were decent, albeit simple. It is clear that the film budget was tight. Once again, Kruger's beauty beams and her German accent is the cherry on the cake.

Last edited by Ludy on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:10 am
Royalty
Royalty

Better than Ute' Lemper!!?? I am so excited to see this film......Ute Lemper's performance was so powerful, I cannot imagine anyone topping that!!

I am disappionted to hear that the film angles toward suggesting a lesbian relationship with Polignac, but still I am anxious to see it. No release date for the U.S. as of yet.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:35 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I cannot wait for the Australian release date either! I have never seen a French portrayal of MA, asides La Revolution Francaise (is L'Autrichienne a French production?) It would be interesting to see her through the lens of the French, instead of the superficial admiration of an American.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Lilly wrote:

Better than Ute' Lemper!!?? I am so excited to see this film......Ute Lemper's performance was so powerful, I cannot imagine anyone topping that!!

Don't believe everything Ludy tells you Lilly! :) For me Ute Lemper is still far ahead, and the film has nothing of the depth of 'L'autrichienne"; For a start we know that the dialogue of the latter film was verified and minuted which gives it extraordinary power.

As for "Adieux à la Reine" it was nice to look at, and well acted on the whole. Howeveer I already forgot about it...

Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

For me Diane Kruger was head and shoulders above Ute Lemper but that is my opinion. She fits closely with the mental image I personnally have of the Queen. I do not think opinions are worth talking about : the fact is that you preferred Lemper and I preferred Kruger, and we also have to recognize that the films are very different. One is based solely on historical facts, the other is based on a fiction. The periods of the Queen's life are also different. I agree that the film with Lemper is historically uncomparable, but what I did not like is a certain meekness. I imagined the Queen way prouder than that. I did not find her powerful at all... Once again, no point discussing tastes and opinion.

Last edited by Ludy on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:46 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Lilly wrote:

I am disappionted to hear that the film angles toward suggesting a lesbian relationship with Polignac, but still I am anxious to see it. No release date for the U.S. as of yet.

Not really. The lesbian hints were exagerrated by the reviews. The relationship with Madame de Polignac is presented as being more love than friendship, but wasn't that the truth ? What is to me more controversial is that the Polignac was presented as a heartless manipulator, who was but too happy to leave the Queen in 1789. We know it was not the case.

Honestly, it is very difficult to discuss tastes. Once again, I personnally enjoyed the film very much, and it is the best performance I have ever seen as far as MA goes. But on the French forum for instance, where people are extremely well-read and knowledgeable, the opinions are very diverse. At least our dear Pimprenelle would agree with me, she did enjoy the film very much.

It all depends on the mental image you have of the Queen and how a given performance conveys it or not. I imagine MA as charismatic, proud, a bit cheeky. Other members saw her as more religious and devoted to her husband. Others think she cheated on him... There is no objectivity, so this is logical we should have different appreciations of this film.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:49 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
I cannot wait for the Australian release date either! I have never seen a French portrayal of MA, asides La Revolution Francaise (is L'Autrichienne a French production?) It would be interesting to see her through the lens of the French, instead of the superficial admiration of an American.

Was it with Jane Seymour ? I really look up to this actress and I saw that movie as well. It seems to me it was good, though the queen was a villain, wasn't she ? I have trouble remembering because I was a schoolgirl when I watched it in class, as part of our program on the French revolution. It is not a French production, I think it was shot in 1989, during the commemoration of the French Revolution.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:55 am
Royalty
Royalty

Yes you are completely correct on all points. I have not even bothered with the terrible Affair Of The Queen's Necklace.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:03 am
Royalty
Royalty

Thanks for the opinions on the film! Initially I am a little hesitant about it because it's based on a novel - but I'll still see it. For myself, even regarding books - except novels- even if it's regarded as bad, I think it is still important to see or read the work and decide for oneself. Fleur, you should see "The Affair of the Necklace". You'll most likely hate things about it, but Hillary Swank did give a good performance as Jean de LaMotte Valois.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:26 am
Royalty
Royalty

What is Joely Richardson as Marie Antoinette like?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2