Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Charlotte Corday 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Charlotte Corday
Does giving an opinion means tackling you Baron ? I do not understand. I gave my opinion about Charlotte Corday. I suggest you stop feeling intellectually attacked everytime I write something. Nobody said you did not know this or that.

In fact there was nothing unusual about Marat receiving Charlotte while he was in his bathtub, because at that time, his skin problems grew so serious he was in his bathtub most of the time. Charlotte as far as I know, came for political reason (a list of names from her provincial club I believe) and insisted it was urgent so that she was let into the bathroom. There was nothing sexual or lewd about that. Marat was workaholic and had to work even when he was in his bath.

Last edited by Ludy on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think that Charlotte's action was very courageous. We know that her nerve almost faltered but that when he said that all the people named on her list would be promptly executed it gave her the necessary hate to plunge in that knife. The angle with which the knife entered the body, an oblique and fatal blow by the shoulder blade severing the aorta was so unusual that the tribunal thought she must be a trained assasin! For me this murder was justifiable in as far as in her eyes it was one man's life to save the lives of thousands of innocents. I suppose it is similar to the assasination of the nazi henchman Heydrich in Prague or acts like that, which few people consider reprehensible.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:42 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I do not know. The comparison with Heydrich does not seem relevant to me. They certainly both were prominent leaders, and accused of mass killing, but Heydrich was in an occupied country and the crimes he committed were far greater in scales. I think Marat would probably have passed away soon either due to his skin disease, or else he would have gotten the chop. I would have preferred such a death. Once again, I do not exactly approve of him, but the fact of stabbing a very ill person in those circumstances is unacceptable adn against my moral values. As we say in French, comparaison n'est pas raison. But I would not expand on that.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

We are obliged to compare in order to set up our value scales, for example one crime against another, if nothing else to set up a scale of punishment within a legal system.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:55 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
We are obliged to compare in order to set up our value scales, for example one crime against another, if nothing else to set up a scale of punishment within a legal system.

Yes but Heydrich is just one of the most famous examples that's all. It is the same thing when people compare Napoleon to Hitler just because both stormed into Russia. One common point, but so many differences between them ! Heydrich is a very famous case that's all. I am not so sure the comparison is that relevant.

As far as I know, Marat was essentially accused of encouraging mass killing through his newspaper, he was also deputy of Paris. I do not say he was innocent, but he did not have the same level of responsibility as Heydrich who was in charge of the extermination and organized the Wannsee conference. Besides Marat was an outsider, Robespierre did not like him too much and would probably have tried to get rid of him somehow or another. All the revolutionnaries were afraid of the mob, and Marat was the one who was constantly stirring up trouble by whetting hatred.

Of course, it is always intellectually stimulating to compare, but comparison is also meant to underline the differences and not only the similarities.

Last edited by Ludy on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:59 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

For me what Charlotte did was not strictly speaking a crime but more a heroic act.

However she knew that she would be punished for it. It seems however that she had no need of redemption or fear of death without the sacraments: even though she was raised in a convent school she seemed to have a very "modern" conception of the after life, with no fixed Christian ideas. More "wait and see what happens", and I feel she believed her crime would be looked upon kindly by any celestial judge.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:01 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I do not believe it is in the ken of this forum to dwell on this. Such an opinion pretty much depends on each individual's own set of values and preferences.

However, Marat was mourned when he died. We know the beautiful painting David made of him.

Last edited by Ludy on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:24 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Mourned.....?

L'ami du peuple? By some, others no doubt rejoiced. That was the lot of revolutionary leaders.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:14 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
Mourned.....?

L'ami du peuple? By some, others no doubt rejoiced. That was the lot of revolutionary leaders.

Well indeed, but by the people he was regretted. His newspaper was widely popular and he was believed to be a supporter un the underpriviledged. There is no doubt he was not so popular amongst his counterparts, as I have stated above.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:18 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

As for David, one of the interrogators of the young Louis XVII and signataries of the latter's testimony for the incest affair raised at MA's trial, he was a fitting portraitist for Marat. Though I don't deny his devliish talent.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:19 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate Fleur, I do not know. Was Charlotte a royalist ? I thought she was very fond of the enlightment. I had always believed she was more of a Girondist. Didn't she state she was a republican ?

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2