Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revoluti 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revoluti
Here is a fascinating review of Queen of Fashion. From http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/.

http://www.mercatornet.com/articles/queen_of_fashion/

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:24 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I must say that I disagree with some of the points he makes. But it is true that she does not delve too deeply into the Revolutionary days, which are so important in the life of Marie Antoinette. Yet, perhaps because the book is about fashion, then maybe she does have less to say. Who knows? It was nice, light read for me and a good addition to my library.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:28 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Queen of Fashion is my favorite book about Marie Antoinette thus far. I thought it flowed together beautifully, was a light yet informative biography of her life, and the insight into her fashion choices was very engrossing.

I remember reading in this book that when MA began to wear simple muslin gowns, the public spread vicious rumors that the reason she did so was in order to make sexual romps in the gardens of the Petit Triannon easier. A rumor was also spread that there was a room at the PT that Marie Antoinette had entirely encrusted with precious jewels.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:39 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I also really enjoyed this book. I like how MA's wardrobe choices are put into a larger context :P

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:38 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have mixed feelings about the book. One the one hand I did learn a few things I did not know : for instance, it did clarify why the Dauphine shunned her corset, which I have never understood. Indeed, in a letter to her mother she went so far as to making out that nobody wore the corset in France -which is simply ridiculous. It really baffled me that she could resort to such an utterly ludicrous bad faith, and no biograph had so far provided an explaination. Well, the truth is that she had to wear a different kind of corset, that indeed nobody had to wear on a daily basis in France apart from her. I am surprised even Bertière did not get it, although she did mention that her corset was very uncomfortable. It really changed the whole understanding I had of this event : I thought she was being capricious, now I can understand how painful the whole thing must have been.

I also did not know she already wore a spectacular har whig during the coronation ceremony. And most amazing of all, I was aware she threw a Renaissance party at some point (there is even a little portrait on which she sports her Renaissance costume) but I did not know she dressed up as Gabrielle d'Estrées !!!! This blew me away. I wonder how come no more comments were made about this at the time. Oh, yes, and the breeches, I had never read that anywhere, though I had seen the portrait.

So there are really a few very intersting details I found out in this book. All in all, I also had the feeling that when the author tried to put things in a broader picture, she failed. Some comments were clearly copy paste of other biographies and her views stuck to the stereotypes. Louis XVI was ugly and boorish (ok, might be true, but what about his intellectual qualities ?) and Marie-Antoinette was described as if she was a stunner. It woud not have been very important if the whole book had not focused on style. One of the things that fascinates me about the Queen is that, precisely, she was in no way a standout, and in truth, as Haslip put it "barely pretty". So Weber missed the gist of Marie-Antoinette's essence : she was one of these women who, because they were not well endowed by nature, managed to create a unique style that singled them out.

I had also the feeling that Weber has a tendency to waffle. She overinterprets insignificant details and dwells over them, whereas they are simply meaningless and trivial. The best example is the way she describes Marie-Christine's famous paintings of the Habsburg family, and the way Marie-Antoinette alledgedly singles out through the elegance of her clothing. Well, I do not think that Marie-Christine, who merely dabbled in painting, had the talent or even the intention to set Marie-Antoinette apart. It was an amateurish painting that should be taken as such. There are a handful of other instances, where the author simply raves about unsignificant events for pages and pages.

At last, I was surprised she made out that Marie-Antoinette was stripped naked on the border -but I may have misunderstood her there.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3