Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Hello 
Noble
Noble

Post Hello
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself.

I am very interested in female historical figures, and have always been aware of Marie Antoinette but not really known much about her. A couple of months ago I read Antonia Fraser's biography on MA, which I found to be a fascinating book about a fascinating woman, and has really inspired me to read more about her.

At the beginning of the year my boyfriend and I went to Paris, where a lot of the places we visited were influenced by my recent reading of Antonia Fraser’s book and my growing interest in MA – the Basilica of St Denis, the conciergerie (two times as when we arrived in the reconstruction of MA’s cell, it was nearing closing time and we were asked to leave :( ), the Tuileries Gardens, and of course the Chateau of Versailles.

Versailles has been somewhere I have wanted to visit since childhood. I can remember a scene near the end of the file ‘The Man In the Iron Mask’ which showed the outside of the magnificent palace. I was in awe of it, but assumed that the palace was destroyed with the end of the monarchy in France. Imagine how excited I was when my mother told me it still existed! It was a dream come true to visit the palace, and to see the exquisite details everywhere (even on the doors!). I also loved visiting MA’s estate, even though it was freezing and not all of the estate was available to visit due to the low tourist season. I really want to go again one summer so I can experience as much as I can from the estate. I know that my boyfriend and I will definitely visit again, as it was in the Temple of Love that he proposed to me! :D

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:34 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Hello
Well, welcome on here !

Versailles is indeed magnificient, but yes I also had a sobering experience with the low tourist season, which is especially annoying when you originally planned to show a foreign friend round the castle.

I live in Paris, so I visited Versailles quite a lot of times. Obviously, I am not so enthusiastic now as I used to be the first time I went there. But it remains one of my favourite place in the world.

I hope you'll find the discussions we have here interesting, in spite of the fact that the forum has been pretty slow lately. It is nice to know that there are still MA fans on the other side of the Atlantic ocean.)

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:44 am
Royalty
Royalty

Welcome to the forum Temple of Love. How romantic to have been proposed to at this beautiful place! Did you say yes?

Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:09 pm
Noble
Noble

Thank you Ludy!

Yes it was a pity to realise how much of the estate was closed, and of course the flowers were not out and the garden statues were covered up. I’m glad I got to see the Chateau in the low season though, as although it was quite busy and sometimes difficult to really look around the rooms, I can’t imagine how busy it would be in the real tourist season.

I just cannot wait to visit again and am so envious of you living so close. I am living in London at the moment, so it is quite easy for me to get to Paris (and from there Versailles). Hopefully I can persuade my boyfriend for us to go back again soonish.

I am looking forwards parting part in the discussions on this forum, and learning more about MA.

Ludy wrote:
Well, welcome on here !

Versailles is indeed magnificient, but yes I also had a sobering experience with the low tourist season, which is especially annoying when you originally planned to show a foreign friend round the castle.

I live in Paris, so I visited Versailles quite a lot of times. Obviously, I am not so enthusiastic now as I used to be the first time I went there. But it remains one of my favourite place in the world.

I hope you'll find the discussions we have here interesting, in spite of the fact that the forum has been pretty slow lately. It is nice to know that there are still MA fans on the other side of the Atlantic ocean.)

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:29 am
Noble
Noble

Thank you Lilly.

It was a truly special moment, and in such a wonderful place, how could I say no? :D

Lilly wrote:
Welcome to the forum Temple of Love. How romantic to have been proposed to at this beautiful place! Did you say yes?

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:30 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Welcome to the forum Temple of Love, we're happy to have you here! I am so glad you got to experience Versailles; it must have been like stepping into a magnificent dream. I hope to see the palace for myself someday. Please stick around and don't be afraid to throw yourself into all kinds of discussions or to ask many questions. History buffs are always happy to take in other history buffs! :)

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hi and welcome to the site! :)

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:19 pm
Noble
Noble

I am so sorry for the delay in replying to your kind welcome! I loved visiting the Chateau and look back on my photos often. I wish that I could just go back tomorrow. I hope that you get to visit the Chateau yourself, it truly is magnificent!

Woodland Nymph wrote:
Welcome to the forum Temple of Love, we're happy to have you here! I am so glad you got to experience Versailles; it must have been like stepping into a magnificent dream. I hope to see the palace for myself someday. Please stick around and don't be afraid to throw yourself into all kinds of discussions or to ask many questions. History buffs are always happy to take in other history buffs! :)

Tue May 01, 2012 4:08 pm
Noble
Noble

I am so sorry about the delay in my response - thank you very much for your kind welcome, and 'hello' too :D

baron de batz wrote:
Hi and welcome to the site! :)

Tue May 01, 2012 4:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]