Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 What are you reading currently? 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: What are you reading currently?
I'm reading "Henriette d'Angleterre' by Claude Saint-André.

I just discovered (more fool me) that Charles II of England was Henri IV of France's grandson!

Bourbon blood is everywhere! :)

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:26 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

My opinion on Catherine the Great :

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1788&start=60

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:29 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I've just started "A Traitor's Kiss: The Life of Richard Brinsley Sheridan" by Fintan O'Toole. This book has been sitting on my shelf for a while; I originally bought it because I knew Richard was apart of the social circle of many people I'm interested in, such as the Duchess of Devonshire and other prominent Whigs. But since then I've read his play The School for Scandal and checked out his full collective works. Now I'm intrigued by the man himself. It promises to be a good read so far; I enjoy the author's writing style.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:35 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I'm currently reading "The Master and Margarita' by Mikhail Bulgakov.

At the same time I'm tackling 'History of Russia" by N. Brian-Chaninov.

I just completed "Autour de la Reine' by Pierre de Nolhac.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Reading a biography of IKE ! YEAH !

Attachments:
large_EisenhowerSP7526.jpg
large_EisenhowerSP7526.jpg [ 77.28 KiB | Viewed 3188 times ]

Fri May 25, 2012 1:43 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

The Master and Margarita is an excellant choice of book to read Baron, am sure you will enjoy it. I first read it many many years ago and found it difficult to put down.
There have been a few attempts to make a movie of it, but due to the complexity, they have not been to good, but... there is an excellant Russian tv series that has captured the book very very well. It has been out on dvd for a few years now, it is a 3 disc set and has English subtitles, If you enjoy the book you will almost certainly enjoy the dvd set also. If you would like to see it, i can proberbly help you, just pm me. mercy-argenteau

Tue May 29, 2012 7:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You're quite right Mercy-Argenteau. From the same author, I greatly recommend heart of a dog, as well as the Russian movie, which really is a masterpiece.

Wed May 30, 2012 2:32 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have just finished Simon Sebag Montefiore's biography on Stalin and i'm now reading "Rubicon" by Tom Holland on the Roman Empire.

Wed May 30, 2012 8:22 am
Royalty
Royalty

I'm reading a biography on Chanel. Also just bought "The Heart Has it's Reasons" by Wallis Simpson, I've read a couple books on Wallis but thought the words she wrote herself would be interesting. We could have an interesting discussion on that whole episode......I think the beloved Queen Mum had a bit of a mean streak in her!

Congrats to the Brits once again for putting on a good show for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee!

Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:15 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I like the Queen very much, as a person, though I do not like the British political system in itself. She embodies the truest aristocratic behaviour and is a charismatic figure. I feel that the Commonwealth is still relevant thanks to her, and probably to her son, Charles.
I like Charles very much also. I do not understand why he's looked down upon and scoffed at constantly -if not because of his looks-. I thought it was incredibly offensive of the British to publicly say that they would rather have his son on the throne than him. What is the point of the monarchy if even the dynastic rules are ridden roughshod upon ? Better throw it away into the dustbin of history. Especially as I do not make much of the two blond-haired twits.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:50 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

William is quite an amazing young man, humble dedicated and an excelllent helicopter rescue pilot, committed to saving lives in dangerous conditions. He is respectful, amiable and will make an excellent King and husband to Kate I'm sure.

As for Harry, he is calming down and showing a very likeable side, and his recent trip to the West Indies was a great success. He made everyone laugh, was good humoured and fun and worked tirelessly to represent the Queen. Watch his clip outrunning Bolt the world's fastest man in Jamaica if you want to see his appealing side! :)

Yesterday Great Britain showed a unity and patriotism that I simply have not seen anywhere else. Which shows that monarchy, like it or not, works....at least for some Nations. 90% of the people for the Queen in Britain, and never more than 51% for an elected French President. It simply brings people together. Even the Prime Minister held a Downing street street party complete with colourful bunting (flags on strings)! :) Imagine that at L'Elysée! :lol:

Last edited by baron de batz on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

And four year olds eating cup cakes in Downing Street! :lol: Cameron is quite simply good news...he knows how to be normal and be close to the people, and his young age and excellent education helps in that I feel.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:20 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Ludy wrote:
Especially as I do not make much of the two blond-haired twits.

Camilla (ha-ha!)........who is the second one?

I do also love the Queen and all the tradition of the English monarchy. It must have been hurtful to Charles for people to say they'd rather have William on the throne instead of Charles. Partially, I think that people are ready for a fresh new reign after Elizabeth....Charles may well be in his 80's before he ever sees the throne - if the Queen lives as long as her Mother did. I must agree, William will make a wonderful King!

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Baron - to me the comparison French presidency / British monarchy does not make sense for a precise reason : the disparity of powers between the French president and British monarch. To be fair, one must compare Hollande to Cameron.

LOL, Lilly, I meant the two boys, Harry and his brother William. I can't stand them. Especially William, seeing as Harry has at least the excuse to be cute -which makes up for his abysmal stupidity.

I actually like Camilla a lot)))

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:12 am
Royalty
Royalty

I wasn't sure who you meant......I'm the opposite, the Princes are OK in my book, but Camilla - I've got some issues with her! They all looked splendid for the Jubilee celebrations - too bad Prince Phillip was hospitalized.

What do you think of Chanel?

Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next