Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hello from Portugal 
Peasant
Peasant

Post Hello from Portugal
Salut!

My name is Mariana, I am 17 years old, and I am from Portugal.
I must admit, I don't know half as much about Marie Antoinette as the majority of people here, but that's exactly why I joined this forum, to learn more about her.

Ever since I was little, my grandma told me about our ancestors, who came from France to a small, remote village in the Alentejo region, around the end of the 18th century. Their story is well known in the village. I know very little about them, except for the clothes they wore and things like that, and I've always wanted to find out more about these people.
While this has nothing directly to do with Marie Antoinette, this has led me to research about the 18th century, and the possible reasons of their flight from France. The more I learn, the more I'm fascinated with this period, and, of course, with the most emblematic figure of this time: Marie Antoinette. My ancestors probably heard a lot about her!

Anyway, maybe, as in this site many people seem to have history (particulary french history) knowledge, I will post a topic (in the apropriate place) with more details about this and perhaps get some help. :angel10:

Finding out more about Marie Antoinette, the 18th century and the Terror atmosphere will give me a better picture of what my ancestors went through, and it will be especially important for me to learn more now, since in some days I will visit Versailles for the second time

Greetings to all, and I'm sorry for the long introduction! :bunny:

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:54 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Hello from Portugal
Never apologize for a long introduction. ;)

Welcome to the forum! This site is full of factoids about Antoinette, and you'll certainly learn a lot just by perusing through the archives.

But for everything else - particularly the two categories you outlined - I think you can get quite a few perspectives about the 18th century/Terror around here too. The royalist perspective by the majority, the Feuillant perspective from Ludy, and the evil Jacobin perspective from yours truly. I look forward to your new threads on the topic, and I'm sure if we all throw in our weight in we'll be able to tackle any question at all. I'm also sure you'll be able to get a clearer picture of what your ancestors went through. :)

Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I do wish you wouldn't categorize us all! :lol:

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:01 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

baron de batz wrote:
I do wish you wouldn't categorize us all! :lol:

I'm finicky. If you dislike the Dewey Decimal System I don't know what to tell you. ;)

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:27 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Welcome.

I am thrilled to have a member from Portugal, which is a country I dream to visit and whose language I would love to speak - it is very beautiful. I am fascinated with the history of Portuguese colonization, namely in Africa.

By the way, wasn't Marie-Antoinette's godmother Marie-Anne Victoire of Portugal, the young Spanish princess who nearly married Louis XV ? Alas, Marie-Antoinette was born in 1755 the fateful year of the horrendous earthquake that wreaked havoc on Lisbon.

Being a Feuillant sounds like a good match for the liberal I am.But I do still think that Robespierre rocks. I am on the fence.

You may consider Vive and I as the bad guys, amongst the "the monarchy was so great" chorus. Nobody's in agreement with us, but we spice things up over here - yes, yes.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:59 pm
Peasant
Peasant

Thank you!

Vive, it's wonderful to have this diversity of opinions. I also don't share the "monarchy was so great" opinion. :)
Ludy, I'm glad you wish to visit our country and learn our language! Indeed, Mariana Victoria, the queen consort of Portugal, was Marie Antoinette's godmother. My aunt wanted to name me Mariana Vitória after her, but my mom didn't like the idea so much.
I find it very interesting that Marie Antoinette was born in 1755. A bad omen?

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]