Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Louis Drunk on Wedding Night? 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Louis Drunk on Wedding Night?
Hello, everyone! Quite some time ago, I took some notes from some books I had read about Marie Antoinette and Louis' wedding, and as I'm reviewing my notes for working on some writing I see that I recorded two very short references to Louis having become drunk during the wedding festivities and thus having to be carried to bed "half-unconscious" on his wedding night. However... I have not found any mention of this in the majority of the accounts of that night, nor have I actually found reference to Louis having ever become drunk at other times in his life. Certainly that doesn't mean to say he never did, but just that I haven't found any accounts of such behavior so far.

Is there any truth to the report of his being drunk on his wedding night, or is this an inaccuracy?

Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:19 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Louis Drunk on Wedding Night?
I have read quite a few biographies, both of the King and Queen and neither mention any drunkenness in accounts of the wedding. But that's not to say it's false, trying to soothe his nerves perhaps? ^.^

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:56 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Thank you, jjeannebecu--and I see you are a new member! It is a pleasure to meet you!

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:33 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

No problem, sorry I couldn't give you a more decisive or absolute answer! It's lovely to meet you too! :)

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well the story that was reported by one of Madame de Lamballe's friend is that the young Louis was cautioned off againg eating too much by Louis XV, and the young man alledgedly answered "why ? I always sleep well when I am full". Nothing was said about his drinking so that must be a confusion. Besides, this report is contradicted by Countess of Northumberland, who wrote that Louis was not eating much at all.

However, as a general thing,Louis XVI did have drinking problems. It is difficult to appraise to which extent. You have to take into account the mores of the time : men usually did drink a lot those days.

I cannot tell for sure how much he would drink. It would be at least one full bottle of wine a day. This was one other big difference with the Queen, who was a teetotaler.

His drinking problems became really apparent as the State affaires started to go haywire. Mercy reported, around 1787, that he would not walk quite straight on his way back from hunting. The revolutionnary lampoons would depict him as a drunkard.

So to answer your question, there is to my knowledge no such report regarding the wedding night. There is a report about his eating, and this report is questionable.

Now, as a general thing, yes the King's drinking problems are well documented.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:44 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Thank you, Ludy! I appreciate this information very much!

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:42 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Thank you, Sentir Mon Amour! So, in summary, it is appearing to me that Louis was more likely to have been carried to his bed (if, indeed, he was carried) because he over-ate, rather than over-drank, though one account says he was barely touching any food and there is evidence that he did during his lifetime have a drinking problem. History is so fascinating to me!

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes the 'don't load your stomach too much on your wedding night' anecdote is indeed well documented.

As far as drinking too much is concerned , there are very conflicting reports on that. Some contemporary diarists maintain that he drank a half a bottle or so at mealtimes, no more, That is documented at the Temple too. And some say that his staggering after hunting was down to sheer exhaustuion as he pushed himself to the absolute limit. Obviously cartoon libellists at the time always depict him with a bottle in the hand, as they mostly depict the Queen with her thighs open.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:31 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Merci beaucoup, baron de batz! Yes, the libellistes, I believe, have much guilt on their hands for stirring people to fear and anger by printing utter falsehoods.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:02 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Hi, sharronscriven! Looks like you are a brand new member of the forum--welcome!

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]