Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 So um the book club 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post So um the book club
It seems that there hasn't been an actual book club post since a few years ago...

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in bringing that back? I think it could be fun...

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: So um the book club
I might be intellectually challenged, but I never grasped the very concept...

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:40 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I believe that the forum collectively picks a book to read and then we discuss it?

The problem with the "discussion" portion here would be that this forum isn't particularly active. But I might be flip flopping my correlations. Maybe if there was something to discuss, people would come and discuss it?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:47 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Perhaps, after the holidays, we could give this a try. Think about which book you'd like to read and discuss.....even if it's just a few of us, this might be fun!

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:07 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I wouldn't mind doing this, Vive what book did you have in mind?

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:35 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

jjeannebecu wrote:
I wouldn't mind doing this, Vive what book did you have in mind?

I can honestly say I didn't have any particular book in mind. But, thinking out loud: I believe a friend of mine is giving me The Queen of Fashion for Christmas, but while that would be convenient for me (what with owning it already, and all) I'm fairly certain most everyone else here has already devoured it. I'd be interested in perhaps reading up on the Comtesse du Barry or Madame Elisabeth?

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:35 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Fortunately, The Queen of Fashion is one Marie book I haven't read, and I do think I am getting it for Christmas also! But like you said, I am sure everyone else here has read it already :/ I have read 3 Mme du Barry biographies but I am sure there are plenty more out there, and I would be interested in reading one on Madame Elisabeth also.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:04 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Well, I believe the holidays are, for most people, over. I would genuinely like for this gimmick on the forum to pick up, even if there are only 3 or 4 participants. I think it would be a lot of fun if we could just make it go.

Anyway, I have a few suggestions but feel free to ignore them and suggest your own.

Non-Fiction:
Queen of Fashion by Caroline Weber

As I mentioned, I chose this one largely because it is convenient for me, what with just having received it for Christmas and everything. But, aside from Antonia Fraser's The Journey it seems to be the most popular English work on the queen at the moment so if a lot of people haven't read it, I think we probably should. Although it does seem like this book has been read by a lot of the forum users already but hey. Don't blame me for trying.

Madame Elisabeth, days at Versailles and in Prison by Margaret Trouncer

...Or any book on the Princess Elisabeth, really.

The Wicked Queen by Chantel Thomas

Also one that a lot of people here have probably already read, but I am suggesting just in case. Apparently it is the best English work when it comes to the propaganda mill that was launched against Antoinette. I've been told that its tone is more hostile than usual...and this may be good for discussions and ruling whether or not we agree with the author's judgments.

The Devil in the Holy Water by Robert Darnton

Not about the queen, per se, but rather the "art of slander from Louis XIV to Napoleon." I think it certainly pertains to this forum's interests and could be a fascinating read.

Godfather of the Revolution by Tom Ambrose

Just a biography on the duc d'Orleans. I was perusing some old threads and I noticed that apparently this forum's ruling on the duc is hostile. I myself am ambivalent because I haven't read enough on the duc to form a genuine opinion. Ambrose is apparently fond of the duc and could arguably be classified as his "apologist" so his ruling is probably going to clash with that of the general consensus here. But again, that could make for juicy discussions.

I'd suggest works of fiction but my mind drew a complete blank. But fiction shouldn't be dismissed...I just...can't think of any at the moment.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:55 am
Royalty
Royalty

OK - I've got "The Wicked Queen" and "The Queen of Fashion" - and I just ordered the book on Madame Elisabeth by Margret Trouncer, which I would be interested in reading....but ooooh - The Duke d'Orleans sounds good too. I can't decide!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:59 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The Wicked Queen sounds like a good pick -relevant, interesting and easy to come by for anyone.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:15 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Although in the end, I'd go for the Duke of Orleans. I would personnally learn a lot, as I do not know much about him.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:22 am
Royalty
Royalty

I'd really like to read the Duke of Orleans too - I ordered the book.
Unfortunately, I also ordered the book on Madame Elisabeth - I forgot to check the language assuming it was English......in reality it is written in German! So, if anyone reads German and would like the book, let me know and I'll send it to you!

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:38 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

So the consensus seems to be the Duc d'Orleans? I have a copy of it on my bookshelf so it would be very convenient indeed.

I don't know what to do next. Should we draft a reading schedule, or maybe just make a vague 'finish by such-and-such date' mandate? I think the latter option is what the forum did previously.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:01 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Vive wrote:
So the consensus seems to be the Duc d'Orleans? I have a copy of it on my bookshelf so it would be very convenient indeed.

I don't know what to do next. Should we draft a reading schedule, or maybe just make a vague 'finish by such-and-such date' mandate? I think the latter option is what the forum did previously.

Lilly I do read German, although not proficiently, but I think it's gonna be difficult to send me that book.))

I had a look, and I am afraid it's going to be difficult to order it. I mean there is nothing on amazon.uk, the only way is to have it shipped from the US, which seems hardly reasonable considering my present location.
The book is available on Google Books, and I am quite willing to read it that way. I do not know how to use Google Books though. Could anyone here explain to me ? I am not exactly a technical genius, so please be nice to me.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:00 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I tried to fiddle with it but I can't figure it out.

We should just pick another book, I suppose. D:

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next