Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Marat 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Marat
Ludy wrote:

In truth however, Charlotte's crime was carefully thought out and premeditated. The blow she dealt was so precise that the judges were suspicious of her, believing she had committed previous crimes, or at least trained herself extensively (which I she had).

I think the judge's suspicion of her committing previous crimes was unfounded. I don't know if I would go so far as to chalk their theory up, as it often has been, to Jacobin Sexism (she was on trial for murder, after all, and to wonder whether or not this was her first crime seems natural enough) but it just seems unlikely. Certainly her crime was premeditated, I don't think Charlotte Corday herself tried to say otherwise. Perhaps you are right and that she trained herself extensively - I myself have never even considered that possibility and always figured she just got really lucky.

Anyway, to shift the topic and bring it full circle I wanted to comment on the very first post here. I don't know if the original author will see it but other readers will peruse the thread so I wanted to correct a fallacious comment:

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
From reading up a little bit, I read that Marat was actually a physician for the family and was in an academy, which he was later expelled from because he was "dishonest." From his disgrace in 1789 he became a journalist and spewed garbage about the monarchy. I find it ironic.

Whatever Marat's motives for starting his incendiary journal, a long held grudge for the humiliating dismissal he endured at the hands of the Comte d'Artois is not among them. In the first place, radicalism is foreshadowed well before Marat is allegedly sacked in 1783. As dreamoutloud pointed out he published The Chains of Slavery in the 1770s.

In the second place, he wasn't expelled for "dishonesty" or for any other reason because he was never expelled. He resigned. I don't know if a reason was ever given by either the employer or employee, but I would assume that Marat wanted to devote more time to his scientific research.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:57 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Marat
My point was that, if the legend is to be believed, Charlotte faltered and managed to stab Marat only upon hearing him list the names of her companions. I do believe however that she must have trained herself to achieve this result. This level of calculation is at odds with the romantic view of a wavering Charlotte.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2