Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 A Livestream 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: A Livestream
Ah, hosting the livestream was no trouble! No worries.

As to the film's historical accuracy... I don't believe anyone was using the film as a historical source. Indeed, we had only even started to discuss Fraser when someone piped up that they wanted to research how Fersen met his end, and someone mentioned that they had first read about it in Fraser. Somehow it swung to me complaining about Erickson's fallacious comments about guillotine when you suggested Cronin. That's why I was puzzled, thinking that Cronin had written some work on the operation of the guillotine. But then a few seconds later I forgot the entire episode and presumably joined in the universal fawning over the eyebrows.

Certainly, the mood of the viewers was a little more...juvenile than what we tend to attract here. But to explain myself, aside from — centaurettedefeu, the one Hebertist whose username I've forgotten, and Vivelaqueen, I wasn't too familiar with any of them at all so I had little to judge from. A previous conversation where the other expressed an interest in Marie Antoinette warranted an invitation from me. I didn't think too many people from this forum would arrive. I don't know if my estimate was true but I didn't see too many comments from familiar faces in the chatbox. I also thought that the more I was able to attract the richer discussions there would be?

I see the flaw in my logic now. I guess I could have gone the other way and only invited people from this forum, but I had a sneaking suspicion that very few would have come. Maybe that would have been better, with a smaller group? But if I may be blunt: that theory doesn't seem to work too well here. An intelligent discussion can only happen if someone moves for it to happen. I am certainly guilty of participating in the irritating flood of eyebrow jokes, but it was not as though the eyebrow jokes were interrupting a serious discussion of Marie Antoinette's emotional state or the cinematography. Rather, it was eyebrow jokes or nothing at all. But there were one or two brief spurts of discussion. I thought Vivelaqueen's comments on what the relationship between Fersen and Antoinette meant to 1930s society was enjoyable. I felt like DauphineMarie and I could have had a good dialogue over the entire morality of the Revolution had she picked up the gauntlet, but I suppose that's more of a private affair, and borderline intellectual bullying isn't good discussion either (although engaging in such is one worse personality traits, which may have also contributed to the sparsity in discussion, due to my nasty habit of making people want to defend their blanket, unsubstantiated, assertions. But if you have such a strong opinion on something, surely you can defend it?) Moreover, a chat setting tends to naturally make people shift away from intellectual discussions, in my experience. It's not the format of scholars but of "im @ the bar w/ Jenny." It is an informal medium, and informality can make people more juvenile. But all I'm saying: Everyone had access to the chatbox.

Which some of us used for evil.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:38 pm
Royalty
Royalty

This was a good idea nonetheless. I had not participated in a Livestream before.
It seems that I might have been experiencing a small "delay" because comments were coming up so fast that some were made before the scene they were commenting on was playing. I opted to watch the film instead of participating in the comments at that point - I couldn't have kept up with them.

All in all - it still is a good idea....maybe arranging for a discussion AFTER the movie is over would be a better idea next time!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:34 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

If anyone wants this film I downloaded it ages ago from Youtube before they stopped us downloading. If anyone is interested you can PM me with your email address and I will send it to you via a lovely service called WeTransfer (free). Its in several parts and definitely not historically correct but still enjoyable. I also have other French Revolution clips e.g. the French Revolution in English and L'Auchtrienne (in French).

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:17 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Such a nice proposal, Maggie, thank you so much !

Vive : in spite of the fact that I was the one who suggested the date and time, it turned out that it was way too late. I most definitely did overestimate my stamina.

Still, thank you very much indeed. I hope there will be other opportunities.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:43 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I'm sad to learn that the two members who I specifically had in mind when I suggested this stream couldn't enjoy it, either due to physical frailties or technological troubles! That, combined with the fact that my little plug for the forum doesn't seem to have gotten us any new members, means that objectively speaking my stream was a failure. :( I did receive several messages on other sites thanking me for showing the film, and it does seem like a lot of people enjoyed it, but that's just me completing the extra credit assignment while failing the main project, darn it.

Ah well. I don't learn from my mistakes and I enjoyed myself. That being the case, my selfishness inclines me to try this again in a few weeks? The Affair of the Necklace, the 2006 Marie Antoinette movie, or LRF are all viable options. Not to mention the less-than-historically tenable films like the Scarlet Pimpernel. Have I ever mentioned that I have a shameful fascination with that series? Because I do.

Anyway Lilly, I don't think chatting after the movie would be too interesting. If we were going to do that, we might as well all just decide to watch the movie alone and then post our thoughts on the forum, sorta like the Book Club. This could be fun, but it seems to be a different affair from a Livestream altogether, where the chatting is supposed to mirror the conversations you would have with a friend if you were watching the film together. Unfortunately, if your computer is lagging...that ruins the effect. D: I wonder if my bandwith was clogged by so many people visiting? But it was only 18...very troubling.

(Also, I do not know how to turn off the chat feature in Livestream. So.)

All in all, I'm very sorry you two didn't enjoy the viewing, for one reason or the other...

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:14 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I can understand that you are taking it personnally. I am sorry that I could not attend the session.

I do need to point out that your feeling of disappointment may be much larger than what is reasonable. In no way are you responsible for the shortage of active members over here. We all truly appreciate what your participation on this forum and we are all thankful for this event you organized.

I hope there will be other opportunities. We do need to be mindful however that each of us has his/her own constraints. Organizing too many events could prove counterproductive.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:27 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Awe, no I didn't take it personally! Since I organized this off the cuff and with just a few days advance, it would be unreasonable of me to bear a grudge. And even if I hadn't, real life always take priority over silly internet events. I was disappointed, that's true, but not in you. In a way, my disappointment is very flattering - I was merely saddened that I didn't get to see your commentary!

And as Lilly said, the event itself was not sparsely populated (I had expected around 10 viewers and there were a total of 18, I think - which isn't bad for what it was!). And from a selfish point of view, it was a good event for me because I earned a few new seemingly-regular readers for my blog so I scored, but the forum doesn't seem to have. I had hoped that I would have attracted a few new members but I failed on that front, as I said. But so help me I tried.

Anyway, it is true that this forum didn't buffer the viewership much but I didn't expect it to - but there was a healthy amount of viewers and discussion to keep me satisfactorily occupied. Not rich discussion, but amusing, jocular discussion which is understandable given the medium.

But I personally enjoyed the juvenility anyway. Perhaps I should be grateful that you didn't come, Ludy, because I suspect you would have lost any of the respect you may have for me. Oh dear, I was not at my most dignified. I made puns. I declared myself "1794% done" with something and confessed to owning two Robespierre plush dolls and threatened to mail people essays if they didn't quiet down. They retaliated by demanding the essays. Meanwhile, a bona fide monarchist and a Communist made friends. It was a beautiful and puzzling thing, some great testament of humanity's goodness, of our shared investment in the welfare of the world regardless of radical political affinity - and something that none of us focused on because the actor who played Fersen had very big eyebrows and this had to be discussed in assiduous detail, okay?

No, but seriously. There's no ill will and I'm sorry my last message sounded that way! I wasn't offended, just sad because I missed you?

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:05 am
Royalty
Royalty

Vive wrote:
objectively speaking my stream was a failure

Vive - NO!! The stream was actually quite successful.......the film came through perfectly and was enjoyed by all. Let's just put aside the silly comments and take a look at this. Every new venture has kinks that need to be worked out....this is nothing more than that. 18 people was more than I expected - a good turnout for the first time! I actually loved the whole idea of this and would certainly participate again....if you are willing to do it again. "Farewell My Queen" will be released on DVD on January 15 - I have not seen this movie yet and it is one I would like to see. There are so many more films we could watch......personally, I don't care if there a few or many people. It does make it hard to get in on the comments when so many are commenting at once - that's what we need to work out. This could be a really great addition here and it is much appreciated!! Thank you!

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:16 pm
Royalty
Royalty

By the way - I like your new avatars Ludy and Vive!

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:19 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Oh gee willickers, everyone is taking such offense to my earlier post! I apologize, I must have portrayed my feelings improperly! Oh dear, oh dear. I apologize for any perceived priggishness that appeared in there. That wasn't my intention by any means! It's just an indication that I'm poor at communication! I'm sorry!

Anyways, I could certainly stream again sometime! We just do need to decide what it is we want. The main problem, at least in our dissensions, Lilly, seems to be that we were aiming at different things. I didn't mind the flood of commentary, but this is just a matter of taste and is easy enough to avoid in the future by simply limiting the advertisement of the stream to this forum. A private viewing with some 4-5 viewers could be nice and cozy, if that's what we want. I think (and I have not the technical knowledge to back me up on this) that the less people come, the quicker the better the speed will be. So hopefully you wouldn't be suffering from such lag if there was a more limited group of people!

Another thing to do would be to decide on a date earlier. As I said, 3-4 days in advance isn't a fair enough warning and was largely motivated by my personal desire to get it over with before my holiday break ended and I had to return to school. I'm a very selfish person, you see. But perhaps if we picked a date perhaps a few weeks in advance?

And thank you for the compliment on my avatar. :oops: I just love this image of Saint Just 'cuz the "Angel of Death" looks so peppy about his hat and sash and everything. I just hope he doesn't mind being pasted all over a forum that is decidedly royalist. D:

Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2