Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 How Many Clothes Antoinette Had 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: How Many Clothes Antoinette Had
Hi, all! Here's a bit of information to help answer the question of how many dresses Marie Antoinette had--I found this in a book by HRH Princess Michael of Kent titled Crowned in a Far Country: Portraits of Eight Royal Brides (New York: Touchstone, 2007).

Every year she scrapped her old wardrobe, and the records of her inventories reveal that she wore more than 170 dresses a year. Every morning when she awoke, Marie Antoinette was given a pincushion and a book containing patterns of her dresses for day and evening. She took pins and stuck them into her choices, which included a ball dress, a dinner dress, a formal dress and a dress for gambling in her apartments. The book was then taken away, and soon baskets would appear covered with taffeta, containing everything the queen had chosen to wear during that day. Each dress had its own green taffeta cover.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: How Many Clothes Antoinette Had
Well thanks a lot, that's a stunning piece of information. I must say I would have surmised that the Queen ordered more dresses than that -I thought she was not supposed to wear the same dress on more than a single occasion.

So all in all it does seem fairly modest compared to her reputation, even allowing for the value of these dresses.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2