Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 ENGLAND....Mary Queen of Scots 
Royalty
Royalty

Post ENGLAND....Mary Queen of Scots
February 8. 1587.....Mary Queen of Scots is executed at Fotheringhay Castle in England. The child bride of a French King, her death warrant was signed by her cousin Elizabeth I.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:17 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: ENGLAND....Mary Queen of Scots
That is an interesting topic as it is important to point out that Marie-Antoinette was not the only and first Queen that had been executed.

Lady Jane Grey and Mary Queen of Scots preceded her in England.

Amazingly Mary was not only the Queen of the Scots, but she had four crowns. She died because of her pretentions to the throne of England, and had been therefore: Queen of France (through her marriage with Francis II), Queen of Scotland, Queen of Ireland and Queen of England.

She is remembered in France as “Marie Stuart” –her family name reminded of her not so noble origins- and few remember that she had indeed been a Queen of France.

Another echo of Marie-Antoinette’s fate : Henry III did not lift a finger when she was executed, which he should have done, seeing as she was a Catholic, a Queen of France and the Queen of the Scots –France being the traditional ally of Scotland.

I don't know much about Mary Scots, others than what I have read there and yon. She strikes me as even more interesting than Marie-Antoinette in the sens that her fate seems more passionate than Marie-Antoinette's. There were actual love stories, and that chilling rivalry between two women that were so utterly different from each other is mesmerizing.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:15 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Here's an article from "History Today" online:
http://www.historytoday.com/retha-warnicke/mary-stewart-france-and-scotland

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:22 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Thanks for posting this article Arietta!
One thing I have always found interesting is that in 19 years of captivity, not one time did Elizabeth meet with or speak to Mary Queen of Scots.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]