Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Can anyone help? 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thank you so much Therese and Pimprenelle for taking the time to give myself (and the forum) all of this extra information.

Your posts are a joy to read. Thank you once again.

Vivienne

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:45 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Emma went to the Tuileries!!! I did not know that!!!

Of, course, it should be obvious that Mercy was Belgian but for some reason it never occured to me before, or else I had forgotten it!

You are more than welcome, Vivienne. I am learning so much here myself!

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am a Belgian, dear Therese... that's why I paid attention ! Furthermore, from Liège means something special, since these people have always been strong minded and independant.

Our little country has been taken by so many different powers, each century another one... we were Spanish, Austrian, French... that's why we have no deep homeland sense, you know, and are open to other countries.

However, Marie-Therese imperator did so much to us ! We still remember her !

Yes, Emma went to the Tuileries with her husband, Hamilton, the ambassador. But, as a friend of Carlotta, I think she especially tried to help Antoinette. How many times did they meet ? How many letters did Emma give to Carlotta ? I don't know... maybe one ?

I also learn so many things myself, it's a real pleasure. Thanks for sharing your erudition, dear Therese. I really mean it.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:03 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

So interesting what you say about Belgium, dear Pimprenelle. My husband and I noticed in the course of our travels abroad that every place the Habsburgs had ruled for a long period there was a unique beauty, order and tidiness. We have not been to Belgium, but I am sure the same thing is true.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:16 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well... it depends on which town you visit, actually, for something very special happened to Brussels, where I live. It was a very beautiful little town, indeed, somewhat medieval or renaissance style, since the +/- 1920.

Politicians began to have too high ideas, and they destroied much of the beautiful old buildings to put horrible new ones, in this so peculiar 60th style...

So, we now have a strange mix up everywhere, you can see ancient parts all together with modern... an old cathedral between 70th buildings... on a huge boulevard, in a so small town...

This mix up, this mess architects call "bruxellisation", and it's a concept they study, in order to avoid it ! However, this disorder gives a strange charm to the city, and all my friends living her are in love with this so special town.

This city got to the other side of the mirror, as if fallen in some parallel universe...

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:20 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post "bruxellisation"
What an interesting description for you home town Bruxelles (Brussels in English) which I beleive is also the capitol of Europe :wink:

Axel

Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, indeed, a great description. And you have royal a family who are descended from the Bourbons, too!

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:06 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Axel, I really am in love with Brussels, because, precisely, of its so peculiar charms... You can still smell the strange perfume of middle ages in the old heart of Brussels... Mysterious... And the decor of the houses of the Grand Place are of masonic inspiration... ah... ah...

I didn't know, Therese, our royal family descended from the Burbons. Their name is "Saxe Cobourg Gotha", so, I think they are related to the Winsor "Hanovre Saxe Cobourg Gotha".

But, actually, I have low interest in royals... I must admit I'm only interested in one royal... :wink:

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Louis Philippe's daughter married the King of the Belgians, who was Queen Victoria's uncle. Oh, Pimprenelle, I do hope I get to visit Brussells some day! You describe it as a fascinating place!

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

For the moment, I would like to go to Vienna... I'd love to see Schönbrunn ! But it is very very expensive... :cry: Maybe I'l get to Paris. I haven't visited the conciergerie yet... never dared... But, now, I think I'm ready. I just hope I won't be too upset.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:41 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I love Vienna. I loved visiting the Capuchin crypt where the Habsburgs are buried. I never understood Marie-Antoinette until I visited Vienna. It is a beautiful city and to tell you the truth, I'll take Vienna over Paris anyday.

Yes, the Conciergerie is heartrending.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:48 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I feel what you say. I feel it's really necessary to got to Vienna to deeply understand Marie-Antoinette. But I don't know if I will have the opportunity this holiday... I'll try to, but, obviously, it's a little bit late, maybe I'll have to wait until following holiday...

The little Trianon was a true shock, for me. It's long ago, during the feasts France orgainzed for their bicentenary. I wandered in the beautiful allees of the queen's paradise, and I felt a so great sweetness... This feeling I will never forget. I get back to Trianon as often as I can, and I always feel this same soft and tender impression.

This eden she build to rest is a magical place !

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:57 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I first visited Petit Trianon when I was seventeen years old. It was the dead of winter, but the birds were singing in the gardens. It is a special and magic place, imbued with Antoinette's presence and I have experienced the same feeling whenever I have returned there.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:03 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh yes, dear Therese... Marie-Antoinette was so much critized for having "put the gardens upside down" ! But now, we are so lucky she did so ! I loved the hameau, too, a so strong feeling of sweet nostalgia comes from these houses. The French say it's in normand style... but I find this beautiful village so germanic...

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:19 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

With reference to the picture of Georgianna that you posted above - I must say I think there is a likeness - how beautiful they both were...

I have been trying to find out some more about the Duchess ..... it seems she also had difficulty in conceiving a child, and thus doing her "duty" to provide an heir. She loved to gamble. Her sense of beauty and style is very evident. Hopefully Marie Antoinette had great joy in this association with a possible "kindred spirit". I would like to think so.

Thank you again for all the contributions you have made to this thread.

Vivienne.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next