Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Best film version of Marie Antoinette? 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

At some point when I have energy I also intend to post the remainder of the Polignac discussion - however to the point I have posted ALL of it was posted and the same will be true here.

But as to the flattery, well, Pim, that was sincere. You know an awful lot, you read much more than me and you read the French, and Therese has written books - BOOKS - on this subject. So I know when I disagree and debate you and Therese I am debating against two people who have deep knowledge. And if I can learn from you, well, as we say, it might be psossible an old dog can learn knew tricks.

Woof!
Axel

So Dear Alex where have you been when I am discussing Ferson with Pimp and Therese in the 'Entourage' thread? Please come and join in!

Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:30 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

On the other hand, it is a magnificent movie if one looks at it as pure fiction. Norma Shearer was a great actress in her time. And towards the movie's ending parts also made me tear up. Did you know she was blind in one eye? And according to what I read for the movie, after the Queen is imprisoned NS did not allow the make up department to keep her beautiful looking, but refused make-up to make her look good. I thought the scene of her in the cart going to her death was chilling, for one second one can visualize the real image.

I am never asking for pure fiction when watching a movie called "Marie-Antoinette".

Her eyes problems in the conciergerie are mentioned by some authors, indeed, but it not certain she had one eye blind. We discussed this on this thread :
http://www.passion-histoire.net/phpBB_F ... php?t=8316

The first time I read about this poor eye blind, it was by Feuillet de Conche. However, it may be another legend, with all these restauration stories, like the one that, for instance, she was dead when arriving at the scaffold !

Honest, I don't know... all that I can say is that her last letter is very firmly written, the lines are straight and there is almost no scrap. And it is beyond doubt authentic !

The best representation of Marie-Antoinette led to the scafflod I have seen in Delannoy's movie. It gave me the creeps...

Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:03 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Quote:
Her eyes problems in the conciergerie are mentioned by some authors, indeed, but it not certain she had one eye blind. We discussed this on this thread :
http://www.passion-histoire.net/phpBB_F ... php?t=8316

The first time I read about this poor eye blind, it was by Feuillet de Conche. However, it may be another legend, with all these restauration stories, like the one that, for instance, she was dead when arriving at the scaffold !

I am sorry Pimp, that is my poor writing skills, Norma Shearer was blind in one eye not the Real Queen.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:52 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

hmm i'm not 100% sure who was the best but i thought joely richardson in affair of the necklace captured her elegance and maturity very well. she came across as an intelligent woman who knew she was a monarch with responsiblities.

however sometimes i want to throw things at the tv when its on as the portrayal of countess lamotte is just unbelievable! she was not a sympathetic character and was just a plain con woman!

norma shearer was very beautiful in her role though and quite regal in places and kirsten dunst i have to say was good as a very young teenage MA but i so wish she'd dropped her native accent!

my favourite so far is definetly ms richardson though!

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:53 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:09 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I also enjoyed Joely Richardson ! But I just adore the whole Richardson family. Vanessa Redgrave, her mother, is a wonderful actress.

However, Joely is a little bit too thin... :roll: But I know... nobody's perfect... :roll:

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:37 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yeah Joely Richardson was good. but did anyone else think that her face looked too old for the role?

Norma Shearer is still my favorite 8)

Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Too old ? Antoinette was almost 30 when the necklace affair happened.

Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:01 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Here a link to an article about Norma Shearer :
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20061 ... 756/CPARTS

I did not know she was Canadian. She came from Montreal, they say, they even compare her to Greta Garbo ! She was very successful, indeed. She was petite, delicate, with a slight strabism, and extremely beautiful. She refused the role in "Gone with the Wind". Amazing !

It is fascinating for, according to Kucharsky's paintings, Marie-Antoinette had a very slight strabism too...

Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, she was a Canadian - she had that exqusite diction!

Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Too old ? Antoinette was almost 30 when the necklace affair happened.

Yes but it seems like (I could be so wrong) that Marie Antoinette's face kept a nice clear angelic quality. Although she was a pretty good match Joely Richardson's face didn't have the same quality I imagined. It was slightly older looking

I didn't know Norma Shearer was Canadian! thats cool! thanks for the link

Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:19 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: The 1938 Movie
As I have stated elsewhere, I LOVED the 1938 version, but I have found amongst Friends that the Ladies tend to like that one more than most men.....
But then, can you blame us Ladies...? The movie is a Dream of Regal Femininity, Elegance and Royal Elegant Opulence. However, I quiet liked the story too, as it portrayed MA very positively..... And that will always win bonus points with Me..... It has been a long time since I sawe it though, and I am still looking for a DVD of it.

X

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:45 am
Profile YIM WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Best film version of Marie Antoinette?
I enjoy the 1938 version with Norma Shearer a lot, even though it's not that accurate. I also liked "Marie-Antoinette, reine de France" from the 1950s, even though it was not subtitled, and I didn't get all of the French dialogue.

While I liked the art direction of the recent Sofia Coppola film (costumes, settings), I didn't find it satisfying plotwise or characterwise.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:46 am
Royalty
Royalty

Yes, 2006 Marie Antoinette is perfect in considering those wonderous costumes. Directing is ok, but casting's terrible, I think.
All in one, 1938 is better, but it is more uncorrect then 2006 film. Fersen visits her in the cell of the Conciergerie... Louis is so angry and chilly... in life, maybe it wasn't the total opposite, but it was much more different.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:28 am
Oh,I do adore Sofia Coppola's version!
I feel like I am in the minority,as not alot of people love the film like I do!
It is a quite beautiful portrayal of her life and though it may be historically inaccurate(for example,the alleged affair with fersen),this version is for me,certainly the most entertaining and likeable :angel8:
Pride and prejudice(the 2005 version) apparently was not the most accurate but I love that more than the original :)

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next