Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Reviews of the movie Marie Antoinette 
Post Reviews of the movie Marie Antoinette
I can not express how disappointed I was in the movie. The dialogue was not engaging and it was vague with historial detail. The entire movie was beautiful and detailed in the clothing, locations, and scenery. It honestly looked like an elaborate "Vanity Fair" shooting that happened to take the form of a movie.

Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:16 am
Noble
Noble

Hi kickboxerkitty, I partly agree with you. The script wasn't the most talented and I thought the affair with the handsome Fersen didn't portray it as a love affair like I believe it was. However I did really enjoy the film for what it was!! I excused it before I went to see it I suppose!! I knew it wouldn't be that accurate because Sophia Coppola (the director) is trying to appeal to this 'modern' audience, but I loved the clothes like you, and I quite liked the way they showed her growing relationship with her husband- I thought that was very touching! Was it filmed on location at Versailles?? I think it was? :wink:

Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:48 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I really did not enjoy this relationship with Louis, on the contrary. It's this same old story again... and puts the blame on Louis once again ! I firmly think it is totally inaccurate, for Antoinette was but a baby while arriving at Versailles. She was 14 and looked 12, she was tiny, delicate and small. Her husband acted like a gentleman by not raping this little girl !

Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:09 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

There's a discussion about the movie in the TV & Film forum.

Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:39 pm
Noble
Noble

yes pimprenelle, I partly agree, the film did put some blame onto Louis. But then, medically speaking it was Louis' 'fault', and our poor queen got horribly blamed for it all. I thought they built up a tender relationship between them- I imagine (or I like to imagine) that Louis and Antoinette became close friends- and I think the film did a good job at not portraying Louis as simply cold hearted- surely that would have been worse, don't you think??

Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:31 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think that Arietta is right, perhaps it will be better to continue this discussion in the TV & Film forum :wink:

Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I didn't like how the relationship between Marie ane Louis was portrayed , :? even though it could have been much worse. I think part of the blame was to be put on the book it was based on which (i thought) didn't really put their true relationship out there and just adhered to the myths about them both. On the other hand, it was a really beautiful movie ...it's just too bad it wasn't more accurate.

Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Welcome, Oceane! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!!

Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I loved how Louis was portrayed in this movie. He would look at his wife so adoringly. When they showed MA performing in her Theatre and he stood up clapping so loudly and enthusastically for his wife it was an aww moment.
And at the end when she refuses to leave his side to flee the mob marching on Versailles...I liked that as well!

Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:55 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Those parts were really nice but i still thought it was annoying how it still portrayed him as weak, when in reality ( contrary to popular beleif) he wasnt at all. In that way, i totally agree with Pimprenelle. Does anyone know who designed the costumes for the movie? SOoOoO beautifull!!!

oh , and by the way - thanks Therese 8)

Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, oceane, I agree. I hate it when Louis is portrayed as weak!

Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:06 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Milena Canonero designed the costumes. However, some people think that she did better for "Barry Lyndon" and for "the Affair od the Necklace". In MA, it is possible to see that several dressed are with zips ! :wink:

Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

In the film he didn't come off as weak to me....

LOL i am definately going to have to look for the zips when I see it again :lol:

Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:36 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

how did he come off to you in the movie, Monsieur Royale? Maybe you noticed somthing i didn't ...

:)

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

how did he come off to you in the movie, Monsieur Royale? Maybe you noticed somthing i didn't ...

:)

In the film to me. He came of as shy and lacking in confidence. but he was determined. He finally did his duty with his wife.
And at the end when the mob was at Versailles he acted very bravely like I would imagine the real Lous XVI did.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 233 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next