Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Louis and Antoinette's personal relationship... 

How did Louis and Antoinette feel about each other?
They were friendly, but not much more. 45%  45%  [ 15 ]
They were in love with each other the whole time. 33%  33%  [ 11 ]
They were indifferent to each other and didn't see enough of each other anyway. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
They were in love at one point and it tapered off... 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
They didn't like each other at all. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 33

Louis and Antoinette's personal relationship... 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Louis and Antoinette's personal relationship...
I've read alot of books, etc.... and they mostly all sway between them having a friendly relationship, an indifferent one, or one where Louis loved his wife much more than she loved him. Recently though, i read something that countered the last point of view, but it left me confused as to where they actually stood in each other's eyes and if they did actually love each other ( or not?). If anyone has more information on this please write something , and just put your views on this to me. Thanks

P.S> i was also wondering if anyone knew anything about the physical attraction between them (or lack there of ???) at any point during their relationship.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I can't vote in this poll because I did not like any of the options. Actually, we have a thread about this already, called, "Did they love each other?" I believe they grew devoted to each other but like any married couple they had their ups and downs.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:15 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I cannot find the thread where we already discussed this!! It must have been accidentally deleted!!! :cry: So sorry!!

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ok, I really think that Louis fell in love with his wife. I don't know if she was ever madly in love with him, but she stayed ay his side even when it meant her death. He begged her to leave the summer of 1789 and she replied, "I will die at your feet with the children in my arms." That, to me, is the kind of love that matters, more than physical attraction that often comes and goes. Also, Antoinette showed a playfulness with Louis, such as when she came to his study, dressed like a nun, because otherwise he was too busy to see her. He did not recognize her, until she started laughing so hard. That sort of playfulness very much characterizes their relationship. And when Louis had his hair fixed like a lady's because Antoinette was wearing hers like a man. He did not like it, but instead of complaining he teased her by showing up in her room wearing a chignon. The queen was seen to ride very hard in order to keep up with the king while hunting. They were friends, they became lovers, it was sometimes tender, sometimes they quarrelled and avoided each other. Just like any marriage.... But when there was death or sickness or danger - they were always there for each other. And that to me is real love....

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:31 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Me either I cannot choose an option of the vote.
I think that Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette enormously had regard one towards the other. Marie-Antoinette respected the King but also the man (after 1778). Louis XVI respected his wife, and liked her very much.
But I don't know if Marie-Antoinette liked her husband as much as he liked her... it's so hard to say.
Louis XVI always wanted that his wife was happy and well in France. Marie-Antoinette always wanted that her husband was a good King and a good father.
But the real love is hard to analyse... :D

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I voted for the option I thought was closest to what I believe, but it is really not accurate. When speaking of an arranged marriage it is hard to discern whether people were "in love." But whether people fulfilled their duties as spouses and parents, yes, I think Louis and Antoinette did their best in spite of many difficulties, with true devotion and faithfulness to their vows. Remember the message that the queen sent to the Assembly when Louis went into Paris after Bastille Day? She was afraid he would be imprisoned, and she was afraid of being separated from him. "Do not rend asunder what heaven has joined together," she said. She saw her marriage first and foremost as a sacred obligation.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:40 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I chose the first option because we are sure that they were very good friends. :D
I think that Louis XVI felt love for Marie-Anoinette, but the reciprocal is hard to prove.
Indeed Therese, Marie-Antoinette worried for Louis XVI like a woman worries for her husband, but is it really by love that she worried about him? Louis XVI was also the King, therefore for Marie-Antoinette the symbol of French monarchy, and he was also the father of her children. Marie-Antoinette was an exemplary woman for Louis XVI (except perhaps when she was a young Queen, but Louis XVI was not perfect either :wink: ), but honestly I don't think that she was really in love with him.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It may not have been romantic love, but it was definitely the love of a wife for a husband and a queen for a king, the father of her children.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:44 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I completely agree with the love of a Queen for a King :D

But I think that we will never know if the woman Marie-Antoinette was in love with her husband.
Louis XVI in his written memory never wrote his feelings or this kind of thing. :?
But it depends what we want to say by "in love", because it's certain indeed that there was no romanticism between them. :D

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

As I said, romantic love was not an option in many arranged marriages.
Even people who marry for love, often the romance fades. I just believe that a husband and wife can have a deep and true devotion without it being romantic. And I think Louis and Antoinette grew to have that true devotion.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes you're right :D It's the big problem of these arranged marriages.

That's why it's so difficult to choose an option of this vote :?
We don't know really the exact feelings of Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette on this subject...

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
I just believe that a husband and wife can have a deep and true devotion without it being romantic. And I think Louis and Antoinette grew to have that true devotion.

yes I think that too :wink:
This's why I think that Marie-Antoinette was an exemplary woman for Louis XVI and reciprocally :D

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

That is why to me it is a more beautiful and interesting relationship than anything that the Fersen legend has to offer. They tried to make it work in spite of many troubles and they were faithful until death.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Author Vincent Cronin thinks that Louis and Antoinette definitely experienced some puppy-love for each other, starting around the time they began to attempt to try to consummate their marriage, in 1773. They often walked arm and arm in the palace gardens, although it was a breach of etiquette for a married couple to publically show affection.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:18 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

^Which isn't common in arranged marriages.

I didn't select any of those because I believe it started off as ackward. Louis didn't care to know her. then eventually they became friends/allies. As time went they grew more fond of each other and I believe after they had Marie Therese. They fell in Love.
As Therese stated they stayed by each others side til death. As stated in the old thread. "Only true love is heroic"

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 280 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next